206H owners, how's your oxygen usage?

C_Parker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
x
Hello,

Looks like the 206H comes equipped with a 77 cu ft bottle. How does this size stack up in the real world for a turbo 206?

Too big, too small?

Use it all the time? Never use it?

Lemme know

It is plenty for us; usually only two people plugged in. The POH chart indicates 5 hours for 2 people; but I think that is at 18k+ using a mask. It will last a lot longer than that with cannulas. We don't use it frequently, but nice to have it available.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-01 204748.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-01 204748.png
    576.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2024-04-01 205234.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-01 205234.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Hello,

Looks like the 206H comes equipped with a 77 cu ft bottle. How does this size stack up in the real world for a turbo 206?

Too big, too small?

Use it all the time? Never use it?

Lemme know
Have never had the opportunity to use it. Typically fly at 6000 or less. Highest I have been was 8000. Had it checked at last annual and it was still full. Have had the plane for just over 2 years. Prior to that had a T182T with oxygen and never used it either but had to full it once and according to the place that filled it, it was a pain to fill it but he did it at his regular price. Had that plane for over 10 years.

How does the make/model of the airplane make a difference???? :D

One way to save a LOT of O2 is to get a Mountain High O2D2 system. It meters the O2 and only delivers a pulse of O2 when you inhale.

My Mooney has a 115 CF bottle, and it gets filled at annual. I fly one or two and mainly in the mid teens (13,000 - 17,000) for longer XCs.

How does the make/model of the airplane make a difference???? :D

That's a great question. I purposefully left my premise out of the initial post to remove distraction. It has to do with the mission profile of the 206, and I'm curious to know what owners are doing in the real world. I recently acquired a turbo 206 and my oxygen bottle is expired so I have to replace it. I haven't even used the oxygen system yet (and have never owned a plane with oxygen), but it has a much smaller 22 cu ft bottle and I'm trying to figure out if I should go back in with the same bottle or try to jump through the hoops of try to upsize it.

Last edited:
Had the same bottle in a restart turbo 182. With the mountain high system you'll go along way on a charge. No experience with the included masks, but they flow very fast, with the pilot's mask 2x the others.

With the turbo the sweet spot for flying and weather was 11-15k, so I used it all the time.

Bottle is kevlar, not steel, so different lifetime limits apply.

Had the same bottle in a restart turbo 182. With the mountain high system you'll go along way on a charge. No experience with the included masks, but they flow very fast, with the pilot's mask 2x the others.

With the turbo the sweet spot for flying and weather was 11-15k, so I used it all the time.

Bottle is kevlar, not steel, so different lifetime limits apply.
When you say "same bottle," which size do you mean?

WOW, it makes no sense to build in a 22 CF bottle.

That is the size of the portable systems, which need to fit in the cabin with the people.

Can anyone get me a pic of the 206H oxygen bottle and mount?

Pro tip: if you plan on using O2, don't leave the bag with cannulas and flow meters behind the rear seats.

Back