204 knots

Don't use that "aviation doctor" c_ap on me Jay. Nothing Slanderous here, Jay, those are fighting words. You can go back and try to remove all evidence of your idiocy, but it's well spread in quotes well beyond what you can delete. And you will not be able to find that ANYTHING I have posted is untrue. That is a CHALLENGE.

So, just use the whole tube of RTV. Just adovcate Zoom climbs. Just keep doing stupid stuff and pretty soon you'll kill EAB further by contributing to it's already dismal safety record.

You were totally alone in your advocacy of zoom climbs. Even Geico266 and the other E-guys knew you were full of cr_p.

This about OPERATIONS and Maintainence and you've already displayed appalling ignorance of both, with the enthusiasm of a teen-ager.

Jay, I'm happy that you finally have a decently performing aircraft. Now you need to make the commitment to fly conservatively and make good decisions. Yes, you can disregard part 43 but you should read it because everything in there are the bitter lessons from others that you are doomed to repeat. You DO have a copy, don't you?

What's killing aviation is LIABILITY right now, and your hairbrainedness, archived here for everyone to see and lampooned by Ed Fred (very cleverly, I must say) can only contribute to injury and loss and that will drive light aviation into the ditch.

I with my suggestion that we don't put a neon sign on Ed Fred's satire of your behavior. It needs the neon light if only to remind you to have some humility and to immunize yourself from "it can't happen to me".

IT will.

My "Aviation doctor" interests are in the area of SAFETY, to which you don't seem to be contributing.

The quoted was one of the most asinine posts in the history of POA. In case you don't "get it", I am done suffering the fool. Just be good for Mary's sake.

"204 knots?" OH, And have you figured out what Vne is on your bird yet? What a sad tale.

And he thinks I love regulation, he's an idiot.
Jays_s.

Wow! That was a truly impressive, barely literate response. I have NO idea what that last part was trying to convey, by the way.

You really do need to take a chill pill, doc. You're going to have a stroke or something!

No it adds up to alarm when I see complete disregard (which is allowed) for safety, and crusaded in the name of "freedom and growth".

Really sad, goofy. You're near psychotic. I've helped perhaps 200 airmen from this site get their medical act together and get back in the air. Really really sad. BTW check your facts out. I moderate over there at the AOPA forum.

And Jay, I know you can't understand it. You're not literate at least for aviation. Your tracks, already on this site are pretty incriminating.BTW, cementing a gopro mount over a rivet line, is just, super stupid. We'll be reading about you and it won't be long....

Stay healthy, now.

Last edited:
You'd think that alphabet in his signature would add up to some common sense and maybe a tad of courtesy.......oh well....no wonder he got kicked off the AOPA forum. Seems to be good when it comes to medical issues and has helped a lot of folks. But can be a real %hole when it comes to discussions like these. Wish he'd stick to where his opinion actually has value. I'm just waiting to find out, and prove if necessary, that he rats out those that disagree with him to his buddies at the FAA. Fortunately I have a relative in their IT group so we're keeping an eye on it. Sad when he could be a good guy, instead he just gets nasty when he gets bug up his butt and decides to insult people like Jay and several others. Truly sad....:nonod:
Riight, so you're telling me, that you have a relative in the FAA IT group that monitors all sources of communication, locates that which involves Dr Bruce, and then reports to you what he is saying? I call BS, not only is that impossible, that would be a career ending move for your relative at best and at worse would put them behind bars.

No it adds up to alarm when I see complete disregard (which is allowed) for safety, and crusaded in the name of "freedom and growth".

Really sad, goofy.

And Jay, I know you can't understand it. You're not literate at least for aviation. Your tracks, already on this site are pretty incriminating.BTW, cementing a gopro mount over a rivet line, is just, super stupid. We'll be reading about you.

Stay healthy, now.

IIRC, he mounted the gopro with screws, in a pretty standard mounting arrangement. Even better, it is far enough outboard that in the unlikely event it departs the airplane, the only thing to worry about will be a 6 ounce camera falling from the sky.

He's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Riight, so you're telling me, that you have a relative in the FAA IT group that monitors all sources of communication, locates that which involves Dr Bruce, and then reports to you what he is saying? I call BS, not only is that impossible, that would be a career ending move for your relative at best and at worse would put them behind bars.

IIRC, he mounted the gopro with screws, in a pretty standard mounting arrangement. Even better, it is far enough outboard that in the unlikely event it departs the airplane, the only thing to worry about will be a 6 ounce camera falling from the sky.
....well that's a comfort......

Really sad, goofy. You're near psychotic. I've helped perhaps 200 airmen from this site get their medical act together and get back in the air. Really really sad.

And Jay, I know you can't understand it. You're not literate at least for aviation. Your tracks, already on this site are pretty incriminating.BTW, cementing a gopro mount over a rivet line, is just, super stupid. We'll be reading about you and it won't be long....

Stay healthy, now.

Bruce, always remember, the world is over populated.

No one is doubting that adhesives are greatly improved. They still should be used for the intended purposes and properly mixed and applied.

There's several types of RTV with different properties. I suspect, although I don't know for sure, that Jay used the RTV that cures by a "condensation" reaction, and typically smells like vinegar until cured. This can take some time to cure as humidity is needed as part of the cure and thick sections, or sections not exposed to air, may need over a week to cure. Even within this type of RTV, there's a wide range of properties including stiffness, temperature response, and others for various purposes.

The questions are whether RTV is appropriate for his purpose at all, and whether the correct RTV was used.

As I don't know what RTV was used, I really can't do more than guess whether or not an appropriate material was used and I won't speculate beyond that.

You guys are hilarious. First, it's "RTV holding on fiberglass fairings will kill EVERYONE! Run! Run for your lives!"

Now, after being repeatedly and soundly proven wrong, it's morphed into "The wrong kind of RTV holding on fiberglass fairings will kill everyone! Run! Run for your lives!"

Spruce sells two types of Dow Corning RTV. The expensive stuff is what we used. I could glue you to the hangar wall with it.

Even if the RTV WERE to come loose from the fuselage, the fairing would be held in place by air pressure. And if that air pressure subsided during landing, the fairing would slide down the landing gear leg, and rest on top of the fiberglass wheel pant.

I *might* have to repaint the gear leg. :rolleyes:

Think about this, for a moment: The "standard" procedure to mount one of these things is to use 3, maybe 4 sheet metal screws, screwed into the thin metal at the top of the landing gear leg -- and nothing else. (Rivnuts would be better, but are problematic in that location.) Think about three sheet metal screws, screwed into drilled holes, and those three concentrated stress points under constant vibration.

Now think about a continuous bead of RTV silicone adhesive going all the way around the fairing, attaching the 4 ounce fairing to the sheet metal.

Which installation could you rip off with your bare hands? Which installation has a better chance of failure over time?

Honestly, you guys need to think this stuff through before flipping into panic mode. The Fairings of Death aren't going anywhere for a long, long time -- and only when it's my choice to remove them. :D

You guys are hilarious. First, it's "RTV holding on fiberglass fairings will kill EVERYONE! Run! Run for your lives!"

Now, after being repeatedly and soundly proven wrong, it's morphed into "The wrong kind of RTV holding on fiberglass fairings will kill everyone! Run! Run for your lives!"

Spruce sells two types of Dow Corning RTV. The expensive stuff is what we used. I could glue you to the hangar wall with it.

Even if the RTV WERE to come loose from the fuselage, the fairing would be held in place by air pressure. And if that air pressure subsided during landing, the fairing would slide down the landing gear leg, and rest on top of the fiberglass wheel pant.

I *might* have to repaint the gear leg. :rolleyes:

Think about this, for a moment: The "standard" procedure to mount one of these things is to use 3, maybe 4 sheet metal screws, screwed into the thin metal at the top of the landing gear leg -- and nothing else. (Rivnuts would be better, but are problematic in that location.) Think about three sheet metal screws, screwed into drilled holes, and those three concentrated stress points under constant vibration.

Now think about a continuous bead of RTV silicone adhesive going all the way around the fairing, attaching the 4 ounce fairing to the sheet metal.

Which installation could you rip off with your bare hands? Which installation has a better chance of failure over time?

Honestly, you guys need to think this stuff through before flipping into panic mode. The Fairings of Death aren't going anywhere for a long, long time -- and only when it's my choice to remove them. :D
You are not. If only you could remove the zoom evidence....but you cannot. Thanks to Ed Fred for his acute humor, in that regard. It deserves a sticky.

Really sad, goofy. You're near psychotic. I've helped perhaps 200 airmen from this site get their medical act together and get back in the air. Really really sad. BTW check your facts out. I moderate over there at the AOPA forum.

Stay healthy, now.

You have truly lost it, Doc. Now I've "glued a GoPro mount over a rivet line"?

As for my safety record, it speaks for itself. It is unblemished, by the way.

I'll use 3M 5200 to stick nearly anything lol, we glued an outboard bracket made of 2x4s together then onto the back of a buddy's boat we had to move. 24 hrs later we put a 25hp motor on it and drove it away. Time came to pull it back off, it required cutting through it with a hacksaw blade.

Ya think?? :rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You are not. If only you could remove the zoom evidence....but you cannot. Thanks to Ed Fred for his acute humor, in that regard. It deserves a sticky.

I don't know who "Ed Fred" is, nor do I have any desire to remove ANYTHING I've ever posted -- here, or anywhere else, for that matter. There is no "evidence" to "remove", because I've never done anything illegal or unsafe in any airplane, ever.

What I have done is posted about various flight experiences in my new airplane. Nothing more, nothing less. I've debated, and learned, from many people here, about many things -- and that's what this place is all about.

Strangely, improbably, you continue to insult and condescend, finding new and more annoying ways to ruin the friendly atmosphere of POA. Why is that?

You are seriously teetering here, Doc. You really, REALLY need to take a chill pill, because you're no longer even making sense.

Oh. Well, if you didn't RTV it, you're going to overstress those two holes at the stringer...I hope you made a doubler for them.

You really don't have a copy of part 43, do you?

"Zoom climbs: Only 12 seconds to pattern altitude!"
And now acrobatics. Maybe you can do that hammerhead at the end of the runway and reverse to land on the runway huh?

Attachments

• HoneckGoPro.jpg
    HoneckGoPro.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 30
Guys, I don't know if anyone is still reading this horribly drifted thread, but it's gotten out of hand. If I had the time and/or desire, I would go through the last thousand or so Dr. Bruce posts, and copy/paste every single insulting, condescending, rude and inappropriate comment he has made here. It is truly remarkable -- and sad.

I could not for the life of me figure out what it would take for someone to be BANNED from the AOPA, as the good doctor has been banned. Now, we all know -- it's here for the world to see.

Doc, you may be a helluva guy. You may be a good doctor. I KNOW you've been a friend to aviation, in the past -- but take my advice: Get away from it for a while. You can't post this sort of rubbish in a public forum, and expect to maintain any semblance of respect in the community. You can't possibly see how crazed and foolish you look, but trust me on this -- take a break before you get banned here, too.

Guys, I don't know if anyone is still reading this horribly drifted thread, but it's gotten out of hand. If I had the time and/or desire, I would go through the last thousand or so Dr. Bruce posts, and copy/paste every single insulting, condescending, rude and inappropriate comment he has made here. It is truly remarkable -- and sad.

I could not for the life of me figure out what it would take for someone to be BANNED from the AOPA, as the good doctor has been banned. Now, we all know -- it's here for the world to see.

Doc, you may be a helluva guy. You may be a good doctor. I KNOW you've been a friend to aviation, in the past -- but take my advice: Get away from it for a while. You can't post this sort of rubbish in a public forum, and expect to maintain any semblance of respect in the community. You can't possibly see how crazed and foolish you look, but trust me on this -- take a break before you get banned here, too.
I'm trying to save your butt, Jay. You just can't see it. Are you seeing any of the other posts here from the old hands....? Even Neal Howard is cautionary. But you don't see that. And Mary, bless her, doesn't want you to do Acro, knows a thing or too. You know, it requires discipline.

Like I said, stay healthy now.....FLY conservatively, and don't make mistakes that others before you have made.

Buy a copy of part 43. It'll open your eyeballs...if you can understand it. Part 43 is written in the blood of others.

Last edited:
For a guy who says he's here to learn you sure don't ask many questions and have demonstrated that you are much more inclined to do stupid crap and then argue about it than willing to listen those who know much more than you do or ever will until you figure out your level of ignorance. Unfortunately we've also seen and read about many other examples of the behavior you continue to display and know how and where they ended.

Start by trying to get your mind around the fact that you don't know squat and it's not EAB that Bruce and others are addressing, it's the half-ass-zoom-climb RTV-wielding antics along with the "EAB is the only blah-blah-blah" BS that has suddenly become your mantra.

Stop editorializing, start listening and give it a rest.

I don't know who "Ed Fred" is, nor do I have any desire to remove ANYTHING I've ever posted -- here, or anywhere else, for that matter. There is no "evidence" to "remove", because I've never done anything illegal or unsafe in any airplane, ever.

What I have done is posted about various flight experiences in my new airplane. Nothing more, nothing less. I've debated, and learned, from many people here, about many things -- and that's what this place is all about.

Strangely, improbably, you continue to insult and condescend, finding new and more annoying ways to ruin the friendly atmosphere of POA. Why is that?

You are seriously teetering here, Doc. You really, REALLY need to take a chill pill, because you're no longer even making sense.

For a guy who says he's here to learn you sure don't ask many questions and have demonstrated that you are much more inclined to do stupid crap and then argue about it than willing to listen those who know much more than you do or ever will until you figure out your level of ignorance. Unfortunately we've also seen and read about many other examples of the behavior you continue to display and know how and where they ended.

Start by trying to get your mind around the fact that you don't know squat and it's not EAB that Bruce and others are addressing, it's the half-ass-zoom-climb RTV-wielding antics along with the "EAB is the only blah-blah-blah" BS that has suddenly become your mantra.

Stop editorializing, start listening and give it a rest.

That would carry more weight, if you weren't one of the rudest offenders here.

My flight testing of my airplane may have been flawed, in your eyes, but it taught me a LOT, safely and legally, and I reported on it as honestly and thoroughly as I could. Working on my plane may be flawed in your eyes, but it taught me a lot, safely and legally. The experimental aircraft world may be flawed, in your eyes, but it's opened up a new world of possibility for me, and thousands of people just like me. I'm thrilled about it, and the fact that you resent that in some way says more about you than you know.

I've known dozens of people like you and Dr. Bruce, over my half century on this planet. You're full of yourselves, confident that you know everything -- and you make sure that everyone around you knows it, all day, every day. What you, and all those people like you, never seem to figure out, is that after you're rude NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY.

You could have the flying skills of Bob Hoover, and no one would listen. Dr. Bruce could have the medical skills of Madame Curie -- and no one will care to hear it, after that first insult. You don't need to be rude to make a point. In fact, it's counterproductive.

Dr. Bruce lost all credibility on AOPA, and was banned. He's now doing the same thing here, by casually and regularly berating and insulting me, and many others. What does that say about him?

IMHO, he needs to step away from the keyboard for a bit. I suspect he's a pretty decent guy, at heart, but he has lost his perspective WRT what he posts here, and how it is perceived by others. That is a dangerous position for a medical doctor to be in.

Dr. Bruce lost all credibility on AOPA, and was banned. He's now doing the same thing here, by casually and regularly berating and insulting me, and many others.
Check your facts, Jay. I'm a moderator over there. You're quite mistaken. About 5 years ago I walked away from there (I'm user #6 here- check it out) because the association had an interest to not have heresy go unopposed. Management agreed. Thus I have been moderating over there since. I was once a moderator here, but I walked from that.

No such here. You can post anything you want. Just don't try to detract from your cred by bringing something not in this sting. This is about your demonstrated advocacy of the zoom climb, of nonstandard maintainence, culminating with your "scheduling" acro and failure to make a reasonable mod for a gopro. You're gonna crack that rib or that skin.

And there's nothing about medical in this string. Try to stay on point. It's all about maintainence and operations.

You do have access to AOPA's board don't you?
You do have a copy of part 43 don't you?....or may be not....
You got any idea why all the guys with the 5 figure log books are trying to tell you the same thing?

So my last beseech is for you to fly conservatively. You are planning Acro. I have formal training in that; it requires discipline and commitment which....well you will decide if you have that. You have three hazardous attitudes.

Amazingly, I wish you well. But so far, you act the fool.

Last edited:
Flawed testing results in flawed data, just remember that. I don't rag on you for your flying because God knows I'm a great offender at doing stupid things in airplanes like flying hundreds of miles on cross countries at 25' AGL under weather that keeps the airliners on the ground, however I don't claim it to be safe.

Flawed testing results in flawed data, just remember that. I don't rag on you for your flying because God knows I'm a great offender at doing stupid things in airplanes like flying hundreds of miles on cross countries at 25' AGL under weather that keeps the airliners on the ground, however I don't claim it to be safe.

Good. Me neither!

Throwing oneself bodily through the sky is never "safe".

This is about your demonstrated advocacy of the zoom climb, of nonstandard maintainence, culminating with your "scheduling" acro and failure to make a reasonable mod for a gopro.

Wow. Do you even READ the stuff you spew onto the keyboard before hitting "Submit"? This paragraph doesn't even make sense.

My testing of departure methods included the zoom climb. My "non-standard" maintenance is approved by experts in the field, and is perfectly legal. My scheduling of an aerobatic lesson is, um, a FLIGHT LESSON.

And my mounting of a GoPro camera is both legal and fun.

Bruce, STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD. Really. You're making yourself look worse with every post.

Same blatherin over and over. Your need to be right totally overrides your abiliity to comprehend the discussions. You won't listen to suggestions that you're full of crap and then bristle when somebody emphasizes it in hopes they can make sufficiently simple and direct that you will understand it. A pitiful but classic example of the attitude and judgement issues we continue to read about.

That would carry more weight, if you weren't one of the rudest offenders here.

My flight testing of my airplane may have been flawed, in your eyes, but it taught me a LOT, safely and legally, and I reported on it as honestly and thoroughly as I could. Working on my plane may be flawed in your eyes, but it taught me a lot, safely and legally. The experimental aircraft world may be flawed, in your eyes, but it's opened up a new world of possibility for me, and thousands of people just like me. I'm thrilled about it, and the fact that you resent that in some way says more about you than you know.

I've known dozens of people like you and Dr. Bruce, over my half century on this planet. You're full of yourselves, confident that you know everything -- and you make sure that everyone around you knows it, all day, every day. What you, and all those people like you, never seem to figure out, is that after you're rude NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY.

You could have the flying skills of Bob Hoover, and no one would listen. Dr. Bruce could have the medical skills of Madame Curie -- and no one will care to hear it, after that first insult. You don't need to be rude to make a point. In fact, it's counterproductive.

Dr. Bruce lost all credibility on AOPA, and was banned. He's now doing the same thing here, by casually and regularly berating and insulting me, and many others. What does that say about him?

IMHO, he needs to step away from the keyboard for a bit. I suspect he's a pretty decent guy, at heart, but he has lost his perspective WRT what he posts here, and how it is perceived by others. That is a dangerous position for a medical doctor to be in.

Skywag needs to get a clue. :yes:

You certified wonks are off in your own world, completely oblivious to the realities of experimental aviation. FINE - STAY THERE. We get that and it's just damn fine. We don't insult your choices like you do ours.....but we do when you keep this up! Just shut the F up when it come to what we do and how we do it. You don't like it - FINE just hope we crash and burn so your stupid theories come true. It doesn't matter how much reason and Ron's facts are put out there - you won't get a freaking clue! NEVER....we get that. Stick to your overpriced, fuel sucking, ridiculously pricey to maintain stuff and we'll stick to ours. OK? You freaking win - OK? Have fun, fill the fuel tank and go bore yourselves to death. Just give us a break when we point out that we do more, go faster, have more fun on less fuel than you do........get over it. :yes:

Last edited:
Report back when you know what you're talking about re Skywag's cred. Maybe you could list yours so a comparison could be made.

Same blatherin over and over. Your need to be right totally overrides your abiliity to comprehend the discussions. You won't listen to suggestions that you're full of crap and then bristle when somebody emphasizes it in hopes they can make sufficiently simple and direct that you will understand it. A pitiful but classic example of the attitude and judgement issues we continue to read about.

I'm still trying to think of any post where you were right, and I didn't agree with you -- but whatever. :dunno:

As usual, you miss the point entirely, but I'll say it again: It's not what you say, it's how you say it. You can be right as rain, but if you say it rudely, no one will listen or care.

Good. Me neither!

Throwing oneself bodily through the sky is never "safe".

No, it's not, but I mitigate my risks by collecting good data and avoiding unnecessary risks. I also fly twin engine planes at light weights and spend the money to equip them in such a way that they give me maximum advantage when things go sideways. Also when I do my tests, I collect good data. I take risks that some people cannot fathom and I walk away from some risks people routinely accept. I do neither without due consideration, and yes, sometimes the 'go' rational was 'it sounded like fun'.:D

I just went and read the other threads. I have to say I'm genuinely amazed. I test fly several experimental each year and I've seen the airplane go to people's head when i turn it back to them to finish out the 25 hours. Some of them I am really worried they are in over their head. However, this is the only case where I've seen someone become all-powerful behind a 180hp 4-banger.

I just got an email from a gentleman this morning saying he had finished out the test flying on his IO-550 powered lancair. He has likewise done a matrix of climb comparisons, but for the purpose of comparing CHT time-at-temp for various scenarios. I'm very please so see how he settled into a methodical method of flying because I was worried about him at the start.

Jay, zoom climbs are purely showboating. If showboating is your thing then just own up to it. It has nothing to do with E/AB, plenty of cherokee drivers are wannabe showboaters too. But don't try to put a safety wrapper around it.

FYI your argument does exist in a fashion, it's common with russian flight training to teach to use the whole runway. The idea is that speed is life especially with multiple engines, so rather than taking off to build speed, just keep rolling at higher and higher speed until you achieve engine-out flying speed. The idea definitely has it's downsides but at least it's based on a rational idea.

Have you noted that all the people whom you describe as rude seem to have no problems in communicating with others? Have you ever wondered why? If you want to compare posts head-to-head for the sweetness and light award, bring it on, Mr. all-caps-histrionics.

I'm still trying to think of any post where you were right, and I didn't agree with you -- but whatever. :dunno:

As usual, you miss the point entirely, but I'll say it again: It's not what you say, it's how you say it. You can be right as rain, but if you say it rudely, no one will listen or care.

I just went and read the other threads. I have to say I'm genuinely amazed. I test fly several experimental each year and I've seen the airplane go to people's head when i turn it back to them to finish out the 25 hours. Some of them I am really worried they are in over their head. However, this is the only case where I've seen someone become all-powerful behind a 180hp 4-banger.

I just got an email from a gentleman this morning saying he had finished out the test flying on his IO-550 powered lancair. He has likewise done a matrix of climb comparisons, but for the purpose of comparing CHT time-at-temp for various scenarios. I'm very please so see how he settled into a methodical method of flying because I was worried about him at the start.

Jay, zoom climbs are purely showboating. If showboating is your thing then just own up to it. It has nothing to do with E/AB, plenty of cherokee drivers are wannabe showboaters too. But don't try to put a safety wrapper around it.

FYI your argument does exist in a fashion, it's common with russian flight training to teach to use the whole runway. The idea is that speed is life especially with multiple engines, so rather than taking off to build speed, just keep rolling at higher and higher speed until you achieve engine-out flying speed. The idea definitely has it's downsides but at least it's based on a rational idea.

The entire zoom climb debate was put to rest in the first dozen posts on that thread. The fact that so few people appreciate that fact is truly remarkable.

There is no safety advantage of zoom climbing. Many posters here, and my own flight testing, proved that.

It's amazing that I can't even AGREE with people here, without it becoming an argument. It's as if you're only seeing half the posts, and then only what you want to see.

It's like you're all a bunch of pilots, or something! :lol:

Have you noted that all the people whom you describe as rude seem to have no problems in communicating with others? Have you ever wondered why? If you want to compare posts head-to-head for the sweetness and light award, bring it on, Mr. all-caps-histrionics.

Amazing. It's like some sort of involuntary motion, like the gag reflex. You just can't post without insulting! :lol:

Ah, POA. You are nothing if not a great way to pass the evening on a sold-out Labor Day weekend at the old hotel. Unfortunately, it's time to go close the pool, and get breakfast set up for all of our pilot guests, so I must depart this conversation to the East.

I'm sure you will continue on just fine without me until tomorrow. :rolleyes: :D

Jay, I'm not trying to insult you. This is 100% sincere. You need to get some help with your plane. If something as benign as a Vx climb is uncomfortable then something is not right. It might be that you need some flight instruction. It might be something is wrong with your pitot static system or something else with your plane. Either way it needs to be sorted out. You don't have the tools to do it yourself and people on the other end of a keyboard aren't going to help either. Find someone to fly with you and get the problem identified.

During the two-weeks that the boss was flying in another plane, the Missus was the only pax in the G-V as we flew around Europe. She later said she thought it was "about right" for GA travel.
I think my wife would view your wife as something of a role model.

Hmm. Should I start quoting all the times you've done that then, Jay?

The Experimental crowd here needs to take a step back, breathe, and stop thinking the advice or actual knowledge posted by folks with thousands and thousands of flight hours is somehow aimed at their DUMB comments because they're flying an Experimental. You guys build this dream world up in your heads that there's some "competition" going on, and there's not.

Aerodynamics is aerodynamics. A claim by an Experimental driver or a Certificated driver that is flat wrong, like the zoom climb thing, is going to get called out here. We're all pilots. Single engine light aircraft are all single-engine light aircraft. Slapping a bigger engine in one doesn't change the laws of physics.

But woe to the lowly Certificated driver (who may have 10,000 hours in the logbook and flew CRAP that was Certificated long before I or some of the Experimental crowd was out if diapers) who dares ruin the "fun" of the Experimental guys walking around worried that someone doesn't like their choice of airframe!

Get over it, y'all. It's a damned airplane, just like all the others. Comes with a lot less FAA intervention and oversight, which history shows isn't going to be the care for long. Meanwhile, anyone flying one probably should at least attempt to listen to more experienced pilots when they say, "Hey man, your knowledge level on that thing you just posted about... Frankly, sucks." They're not attacking you, your fragile pilot ego, or the Experimental you fly that's giving you an unwarranted "us vs. them" complex. They're trying to help.

And as far as "rude" vs. "polite" goes, I wrote an entire essay on that once and came to the conclusion a LONG time ago that I'd much rather the "rude", "crusty" old tech chew my ass and learn something right than have someone in my foxhole too "polite" to tell me I'm sitting on a live hand grenade.

There isn't a pilot here who isn't happy y'all have fun airplanes. There isn't a pilot here who doesn't understand the great value of less silly FAA rules on owner maintenance.

Jay, you respond like this to EVERY criticism of your choices in tech, and have this almost weird need for your choices to be seen not just as really good for you, but THE BEST CHOICE EVAR MADE!!! OMGBBQ???!$&&

There are folks in the group who not only has to read "Aerodynamics For Naval Aviators", but do the math and prove that they knew it. You know, back when schools gave real tests not graded on a curve. Those were the folks who jumped on your zoom climb post and PILE-DROVE it into the ground. Because they KNEW without a shadow of doubt it was wrong.

The RTV thing, the camera, those are far less worrisome for most of us. It's the new "me against the world" attitude that has most of us worried, Jay. Don't get sucked into the sub-set crowd in Experimentals that wants you to believe it's some kind of battle with something to prove. That era is over. Experimental aircraft are here and they're stuck in the 1970s. You have friends here, Jay and even Doc is trying to impart a sense of "You have a higher performance aircraft, now take your airmanship to the next level and learn. Fly MORE professionally, not less. Study! Be RESPECTFUL of the faster airplane."

We are trying to say, "Cool airplane, Jay. Don't let it go to your head and forget to fly it BETTER than your last one."

Everyone who upgrades in the Commercial world (note I did not say Certified... It's not a damn competition. Get it out if your head!) to something faster, higher performance, and capable of things a trainer or family load hauler isn't, has a transition period where they prove to a more senior airman that they're ready, have the additional aerodynamic and systems knowledge necessary, and then gets turned loose to go scare themselves a bit. Somewhere this respect gets short-circuited when the Experimental crowd starts thinking there's a competition between them and Certificated and they ignore correct (rude or not rude, doesn't matter) information from old Certificated pilots.

Especially ones who flew stuff where they had numerous souls on board that they were responsible for their lives. You don't get that job by being a contrarian argumentative weenie. You get that job by proving to a while lot of folks that you know your book as well as you know how to fly the airplane. I don't care if it's popular to pick on airline crews these days, and I certainly enjoy a good joke or two at their expense from time to time, but they EARNED that seat, left or right. (Asiana excluded for the moment. LOL...)

Jay. Seriously. Stop thinking you need to "battle" everyone. The battles start when you post in a style that says, "I figured it ALL out, because I have an Experimental now!" Whoop dee doo, man. Seriously. These guys aren't "attacking you" because they're "jealous" or something stupid like that. That's made up crap in your head. They're picking on your choice of attitude and words that seem to indicate a devil-may-care trend starting.

I wasn't there to scrape up the bodies, but I was involved in the search for the two high-time CFIs who didn't make it out of the bottom of the loop they started too low in their fancy new Experimental capable of aerobatics. All they has to do, since both had already shown aptitude for both book and real-world application learning was to find a highly experienced aerobatic pilot to show them the edge of their personal limitations and set a hard deck, and they'd both be alive today.

You want to be "insulted" by folks and shut off hearing what they're saying to you, Jay... That's your prerogative. But don't expect them to like it. They've likely seen someone shut off outside input for all the wrong reasons before and seen the truly disastrous results.

Keep in mind also that Doc sees people doing that EVERY DAY with their health! He's probably run out of much tolerance for it. As would any of us in his shoes. You've seen the posts where he flatly tells addicted pilots posting anonymously that he won't tolerate lies from them, and he'll drop sponsorship of them like they were a red headed stepchild if they even do it once. His reaction to other times when he's feeling like someone is blowing smoke up his butt, is completely in character.

So here's my advice Jay, take it or leave it. Drop the BS "us vs. them" crap that is so popular with Experimental drivers. Ain't a Certified driver in the majority of pilots who wishes Experimentals weren't around. That said, the marketing spin that Experimental is the only way to go is also BS. They're all just airplanes.

It's funny to debate you when you get huffy about Android vs iPad. Nobody dies if my iPad or your Android crashes and burns. Entertaining even.

It's deadly serious when you translate that level of ignorance over to "aerodynamics experts vs. Jay" mode.

That's what's got people worried. We don't give a rats ass at the end of the day what you're flying. We want you to realize you've taken a step up and the book learning has to keep up with the flight training. You did ten hours or whatever it was transition training. How many hours of cracking the aerodynamics book did you do when you heard you were stepping up to a higher performance platform? There's folk here who stepped a LOT higher than you when they transitioned. A lot higher. And they not only did that, they had to pass tests that they could TEACH it, in many cases.

I was worried enough about your recent rants that I privately asked a friend of yours who'd known you lots longer than I have, if you'd been getting more testy and crabby lately. He said no. You're likely defensive about the Experimental for some unknown reason. I hope so.

I had a good friend start doing that irate thing all the time, and his massive coronary event was only months afterward. He's not a pilot so no FAA medical drama, but that's how much your irate posts at people who DO know more on some topic than you do, worried me. His was due to the very low amount of O2 getting to his brain. His O2 saturation numbers taken at check ups out at his extremities, were fine. He had no other symptoms and still was almost killed by his first heart attack.

Sharing that part just to let you know that folks here DO care. It's not a damned competition against everyone else. It's a competition against yourself. Cab you fly better, smoother, and back every flight maneuver chosen with head knowledge of exactly why the aircraft is going to do what you want it to do?

The Vx / Vy thing was a sign. When was the last time you really calculated Vx / Vy for a takeoff and wrote it on a TOLD sheet? Knew the crosswind component to the knot and also wrote that on the sheet? Exact runway distance required to clear a 50' obstacle even if there aren't any? There's guys and gals here who have to do those calculations on paper for every takeoff here. I will be the first to admit being lazy in this regard, but I've flown in a club that required it. They required a verbal takeoff callout of all the pertinent data for the takeoff. It MADE ME BETTER when I did it.

I make a lot of fun of the FAA Chief Counsel but I rarely say the truth regarding safety. The Counsel can't do a damned thing to force you or I to be better and more knowledgable aviators. Only we can do that. And only we can lower the accident rate. When someone here points out something they feel is unsafe in what you're doing, instead of arguing, think of a reasonable answer as to why you want anything on any flight to be less safe than their way. You can say you choose less safety, that's fine. But lashing back with comments that Certificated pilots are "*******" isn't exactly sane.

There's something disconnecting their safety concern from the part of your brain that will accept it and think about it, and I contend that it's this " Experimental vs. The World" attitude that seems to get passed from Experimental builder/owner/operator to other ones.

Try just thinking of folks as pilots, Jay. Some with a bejillion more hours doing it than you, and responsible for many many lives. Us relative noobs (and yes you have more hours than I do but we're both waaaay down in the noob category here against some folk attempting to get through to you) need those guys. Pizzing them off is really really really stupid. They aren't perfect politically correct people but neither is a person who'll waltz into a room and announce that all Certificated aircraft pilots are "*******". Methinks we could find a Pitts driver or ten we could plop into your RV who'd eat your piloting skill in the aircraft for a snack.

Back off the " Experimental vs The World" thing and listen a little harder, Jay. You've got a nice airplane there. Bunch of folks here who'd prefer it and you remain in one piece.

And dammit, Apple's autocorrect changed "had" to "has " in multiple places throughout that post and made me sound like a moron who can't get present and past-tense right.

Jay's right. Apple blows and I'm buying an Android tomorrow!!!!!!

Not.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1246320#post1246320
From Rich NY.

sigh. Jay, there's 100,000 logbook hours between Wayne, Gruber, Rotor and Wing, young Jesse, Denver Pilot (Hoerr)and a few others here. We (or at least I) would like you to survive long enough to join us, but I'm not sure that's going to be possible.

Be careful out there. You already have three hazardous attitudes.

Last edited:
Ok Jay, I have given this some thought.
Stick your camera on the bottom pointed at the fairings and go do a flight. My concern isn't about danger but the possibility of an expensive annoying problem. RTV isn't rigid, and as it has some give and as such you could pick up some vibrations in the fairing. Vibrating fiberglass is a fantastic saw.

If it isn't shacking great! If it is sinking a sheet metal screw sunk in in a few places to firm up the install will solve it.

You did put some chafe tape on the strut fairing first right?

I'll use 3M 5200 to stick nearly anything lol, we glued an outboard bracket made of 2x4s together then onto the back of a buddy's boat we had to move. 24 hrs later we put a 25hp motor on it and drove it away. Time came to pull it back off, it required cutting through it with a hacksaw blade.

That's what I was alluding to when I said I used some adhesive/sealants on boats that would do the job. I have no doubt if the fairings were glued on w 5200 they would not be going anywhere. Its flexible enough for the application

Back