2024 Goals

Live in Alabama, bought a condo in Indiana in August. Been flying up a lot. So I guess my 2024 goals are not to pick up ice! :)

2023 Recap:
208 hours YTD
All IFR instruction done - CFII emphasized yday he's ready to sign off. Just need more hood time to satisfy requirements.
Received high DA training
Did a lot of grass strip practice which I'd always been a bit irrationally hesitant of doing in the Arrow... then 2 grass-strip fly ins. Success.
Stayed alive, made generally good ADM (I think?)

2024 Goals:
225 hours
IFR check ride (Mods: Plz do me a favor and ban me if I don't have IR in hand by end of Q2 2024 :); someone's gotta hold me accountable to get over the finish line)
Plan/Execute 1 Mega XC
Either new plane OR upgrade my avionics and get some modern navigation; pick one. Been fumbling with that decision for 8 months now.
Fly-ins: Rough River, 6Y9, 3M0... And accepting invites for others!

2023 Recap:
208 hours YTD
All IFR instruction done - CFII emphasized yday he's ready to sign off. Just need more hood time to satisfy requirements.
Did a lot of grass strip practice which I'd always been a bit irrationally hesitant of doing in the Arrow... then 2 grass-strip fly ins. Success.

2024 Goals:
225 hours
IFR check ride (Mods: Plz do me a favor and ban me if I don't have IR in hand by end of Q2 2024 :); someone's gotta hold me accountable to get over the finish line)
Plan/Execute 1 Mega XC
Either new plane OR upgrade my avionics and get some modern navigation; pick one. Been fumbling with that decision for 8 months now.
Triple Tree Aerodrome in September. You won’t be disappointed.

1 - Survive my first annual. Just spoke with my mechanic and it may be possible.
2 - Fly more hours then the last 12 years combined. Won't be very hard.
3 - Start my IR.

I've been without an airplane for 12 months and can't take it anymore. It was the right call to sell my Conquest 1... right time and opportunity in the market, and 2023 business burden wouldn't have put me at my best game to be flying. I will end up with 100 segments on Delta this year and about 20 chartered flights in a conquest, Citation Bravo, and a CJ3. That in addition to several family flights and visits that just didn't happen due to logistics.

I'm weighing the pros/cons of another Conquest 1, Conquest 2, or something in the Citation series whether it is a 510, or 525 variant. So, 2024 will bring a new airplane and possibly a type rating and ATP.
I know of a pair of gooney birds (DC-3’s) that have been parked out on pasture for probably a couple decades. they would need a full restore, but between the two would most likely make a nice “one”. Refitted with a comfortable, casual interior and sacrificing speed for comfort and short grass strip capabilities, a gooney may be a good out of the box idea. If there’s enough land on your farms to keep a mowed grass strip it would be a big benefit to be able to litterly just come out of the sky unannounced and random check your farms, and honestly, who wouldn’t want a flying living room to take the family on excursions?

Last edited:
2023 Recap:
208 hours YTD

2024 Goals:
225 hours
Plan/Execute 1 Mega XC
Do you need a DPE? Lmk
Get that IR done!!

We need some CFII’s in our group so we can do more regular IPC’s too.

Mega XC, how far ?

Wasn’t on my list… but I was in the area, had a coupla days off, they had a cancellation… WOO HOO! Jack Brown Seaplane Base central Florida. Highly recommended.

Now I gotta find floats for the 120!

Attachments

• F350E6CF-A04A-48B2-888A-601B87A29CAD.jpeg
    F350E6CF-A04A-48B2-888A-601B87A29CAD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 060285F6-BF80-4B4A-9AF1-A18B0E154C47.jpeg
    060285F6-BF80-4B4A-9AF1-A18B0E154C47.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Wasn’t on my list… but I was in the area, had a coupla days off, they had a cancellation… WOO HOO! Jack Brown Seaplane Base central Florida. Highly recommended.

Is it really a seaplane when it’s flying off a lake? Wouldn’t “lakeplane” be more appropriate?

Wish I’d known you were down here. Winter Haven is my home drome. I would have enjoyed meeting up.

BTW, has Jack Brown’s changed anything since the midair? It’ll be one year next week.

Oh man… I shoulda announced my intentions! I have another day off next week, if things line up, I’ll shoot down and we can get a meal together or something.

Uh… I didn’t utter a word about it and they never offered. It seems there’s some internal issues with carrying portable ADSB in devices to connect to a smart phone. I’m in agreement that in THAT close, it could be more of a distraction than may be prudent.

My gut is that there were no knee jerk reactions, perhaps just a lot more diligence.

Obviously knowing what I did, I didn’t feel unsafe at all. Instructors and checkers took ALL comms and course rules management.

Since the crash, I’ve been hearing their planes on the radio and I didn’t before. Did you guys carry a handheld?

I’ve also noticed their seaplanes flying the KGIF pattern before plopping down on Lake Jessie, which seems a much safer method than using their own ad hoc approach.

Stay healthy , do a few long cross country’s . Fly often

I flew the super cub, had a radio in it. Don’t know if that’s new. We were up ctaf all the time. We did our own ad hoc approaches. Generally 500’ near the seaplane base.

We did our own ad hoc approaches. Generally 500’ near the seaplane base.

That could be scary when KGIF pilots are using 5. When I’m on final for 5, I cross Lake Jessie at 200-300 feet.

I’ve seen seaplanes use the rwy 5 pattern, then just take final onto the lake instead of continuing to the runway. When 23 is in use, I’ve seen them do a low pass all the way down the runway, at 200’ or so, then set down on the lake.

Seems like a safer way.

Beat last year's flying time (0) in January, so already ahead there. About to finally finish up MQ-1C qual. When I get back from that deployment, CFII and hopefully ASES/AMES in NOLA by the end of the year.

Beat last year's flying time (0) in January, so already ahead there. About to finally finish up MQ-1C qual. When I get back from that deployment, CFII and hopefully ASES/AMES in NOLA by the end of the year.
What is the AMES option you’re looking at in NOLA?

It's a blast isn't it? I think it may be the most fun I've had in an airplane!

1) Fly the 185 in Idaho. Take a lot of pictures there.
2) Sell one of the airplanes.
3) Sleep under the wing at least one night.
4) Finish the Garmin autopilot servo exchange.
5) Land the 185 in a 15-knot crosswind while maintaining my composure.

No longer will I hide behind an eye patch. For now on the empty hole in my face is gonna be everyone else's problem. Not mine.!!

More airplane camping. I want to land at all of the state owned grass strips up in the Cascade mountains. I also want to fly back to the Alvord Desert when Hunter Noak is playing his Steinway Grand piano out on the playa: 1 minute, 5 seconds into the video:

Lonely-Plane.jpeg

Last edited:
1) Get the plane painted.
2) Avoid wadding the plane into a molten ball of aluminum.
3) Take a few trips with SWMBO.
4) Remain unemployed.

#1 - In progress at the paint shop.
#2 - So far, so good.
#3 - Pending; plane currently unavailable due to #1.
#4 - So far, so good.

Back