2018 Avionics Watchlist

shinysideup

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
shinysideup
So with 2018 around the corner, what are you guys looking forward to in the world of certified avionics? I know I’ll be keeping an eye on the GFC 500...

Uavionix ADS-B, probably both in and out for symmetry

GDL 82.
Aircraft Spruce website is now saying February deliveries, but it's been slipping. Garmin website still says "Shipments Expected to Begin 4th Quarter 2017." :mad:

Both mine are already listed...

-GFC500 allowed in a 310 (I know I'm a dreamer but until they actually have a definite list I remain hopeful)
-if it's not allowed (likely only the 600) then I'm hoping STEC prices drop dramatically
-Dynon Skyview HDX (which they told me at OSH will for sure include the 310 and you can go full system or a la carte)

I'm hoping for GFC500 approval on the Mooney and software for the G500 TXi to drive it. And the G5 to get certified as a backup.

My vacuum pump is scared.

I'm hoping for GFC500 approval on the Mooney and software for the G500 TXi to drive it. And the G5 to get certified as a backup.

My vacuum pump is scared.

I would expect the GFC500 by this time next year, but the G5 certified as a backup will only happen if people balked at buying dual G500 TXis. And they get the message that $25,000 for dual screens is a deal breaker...which it is for me.
My avionics person doesn’t understand why they selected 172 as a target for the GFC500, they have no 172 customers but would a line to sell it to P,M and B owners. Apparently 172 owners are not big spenders when it comes to avionics upgrades.

I would expect the GFC500 by this time next year, but the G5 certified as a backup will only happen if people balked at buying dual G500 TXis. And they get the message that $25,000 for dual screens is a deal breaker...which it is for me.

Yep. The problem with dual screens is that you then have one that is the PFD and one that is the MFD and you need a third if you want engine monitoring (which we do). We don't have room for three screens in our panel, unless the 7" ones are small enough to fit in a radio-stack-width spot. But I still don't *want* three screens.

I suppose we could call the 750 the "MFD" and make the second screen the engine monitoring screen, but I don't really want to use that much room for engine monitoring:

txi-g500-hero-6930f4d1-e47d-4f85-a76d-f97589c5458a.jpg

For the G500 TXi to act as its own "backup" you need at least two 7" screens with the battery backup. I want a single 10" screen, with a backup small enough to fit next to it. The 10" screen can be used as PFD, MFD, and engine monitor:

at-a-glance-612863.jpg

So, something like this, minus the second GTN and the copilot display. And with a cheaper backup than the Mid-Continent.

Back