2017 Trip Planning - Places to Stay

A_Valkyrie

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
A_Valkyrie
Good morning!

I went to Oshkosh 2014 and had a great time. I spent Thursday and Friday there and still felt like there was a lot that I did not see. Unashamedly, I slept in my truck overnight in a parking lot. Since my plans opened up last minute for me to be able to go (literally that week), it was about the only option left.

For 2017, I looked into Air BNB, which has very reasonable rates. You can stay in areas 30 minutes from Oshkosh for ~$80 a night. I was wondering how far you have to venture away before hotels become reasonable. Paying $200 a night for a Motel 8 or something just doesn't sound good. I wouldn't mind commuting 45 minutes or so to see the event. What nearby cities or towns have you stayed in where the rates were reasonable...like around $100 a night.

Thanks for your input!

You can go to Green Bay and take a shuttle bus back and forth to the show.the cheap hotels are really no bargain.

I stayed at Felkers Campground last year which is right between the EAA camping and the museum on a residential looking property. It was less than $20/ night and a nice tent camping area protected by trees. I posted some pictures to google maps last year so if you search on there you can see what it looks like.

I went to Oshkosh 2014 and had a great time. I spent Thursday and Friday there and still felt like there was a lot that I did not see. Unashamedly, I slept in my truck overnight in a parking lot.

Not a camper? You can buy a tent just for the event and still come out money ahead sleeping onsite in it. And camping brings an entire additional facet to the experience that many of us love.

But if you hate camping...

I'm looking into going...100% want to sleep in tent as both fun and affordable

It's so much easier tenting if the weather is cooperative, sunny with warm days about ideal. A pad or mattress under the sleeping bag is almost essential too. No need to bring the kitchen sink & all the trimmings, a little $$$ can fill the gaps.

I can't imagine being at OSH and NOT camping on the grounds. FYI... you won't need an alarm clock, but the wake up call is always cool.

It's so much easier tenting if the weather is cooperative, sunny with warm days about ideal. A pad or mattress under the sleeping bag is almost essential too. No need to bring the kitchen sink & all the trimmings, a little $$$ can fill the gaps.

Also be sure to buy a good tent that can be well staked down to stay up during high winds. It seems to always happen at least once!

Back