Pagani Huayra BC — $2.8 m
Ferrari Pininfarina Sergio — $3 m
Aston Martin Valkyrie — $3 m
Lamborghini Veneno Roadster — $3.3 m
Lykan HyperSport — $3.4 m
McLaren P1 LM — $3.7 m
Honda Civic - $18,000
Honda Jet - $4.5 m

All have four wheels and at least two doors. All have a steering wheel and headlights. The speed limit is the same for all of them - about 70mph max in Nevada. Why pay $4m for a car that goes 220mph max and seats 2 when you can have a HondaJet that seats 6, has a bathroom and goes 435ktas (500mph no speed limit)?

At the risk of too much thread drift I always though an S3 Viking would make a cool personal jet (completely unnecessary and unreasonable) but still cool

Affectionately referred to as "The Belching Whore" in the USN.

I used to think the Cirrus was kinda cool a long time ago. Now I think of a Cirrus pilot is in about the same league as a guy that drives a Mazda Miata convertible. Lol

For most on-road driving within speed limits, a Miata with sticky tires is going to give you as many G's as anything else not on two wheels will, and you can pick one up for $3000.

It'll have reasonable handling qualities for a non-race driver, stick just fine in any twisties you might find, and of course, have a stick shift if you didn't buy the crap one.

I don't fit in them, but dad was a small guy and flogged two of them. One was the limited edition 1990 in British Racing Green. Sharp little car.

A lot of fun for very little money. We didn't keep his because we didn't feel right beating it up on washboard dirt roads.

I used to think the Cirrus was kinda cool a long time ago. Now I think of a Cirrus pilot is in about the same league as a guy that drives a Mazda Miata convertible. Lol

...I don't fit in them, but dad was a small guy and flogged two of them. One was the limited edition 1990 in British Racing Green...

A Mazda Miata is just an MGB without the oil leaks (and the Prince of Darkness Lucas electrics).

Not to hijack the thread BUT.... I can't think of any used or NEW BMW or Audi that will do zero to 60 in 2.5 seconds ! The Tesla in ludicrous mode regularly beats cars at drag strips that aren't even street legal. You can watch it happen on YouTube all day long. That's one of the reasons I have a deposit down on one.

BTW I've got a nicely restored 79 Toyota Landcruiser (BJ-43) diesel for sale if you're interested. ;)

I used to have a 1980 Landbruiser diesel. If I still owned it I wouldn't trade it for Tesla. But I live high in the Rocky Mtn hill country where we get serious winter and 4x4 or AWD is mandatory if you want to move around here between Nov and April.

I never said I didn't welcome the electric car, even as a sports/muscle car enthusiast. I said they aren't on-par with ICE-vehicles in the way many Americans use them, especially not for the current price. I'd love to drive a Model S back and forth to work each day, but it'd never do for a trip to Dallas/KC and back (400+ miles each way) over the weekend without becoming a PITA and extending the travel time by hours. It'll get there eventually. However, the one thing the electrics can't replicate (at least not without humor) is the visceral feeling of hearing the engine and feeling that vibration.

In 40 or 50 years I gotta wonder how many people will be lovingly restoring a Tesla Model S so they can park it next to the '70 Boss 302s, Camaro RS/Z28s, Hemi Cudas, an LT1 350 solid lifter Vette, or a '57 Nomad on Saturday night?

I just cannot see the emotional attachment to a ~$80k electric car going much beyond "Whee, look at me. I got a free charge! Damn I'm saving money." :rofl:

The nice thing about expensive toys is:
  • They give people with a lot of money something to spend their money on. Wouldn't want millionaires driving a Civic..I mean think of the children...
  • After 2-3 years and the person gets bored and wants a new toy, the original one has probably depreciated significantly, making it affordable to people who actually keep things longer than 2-3 years or 100 hours
It's a win-win. I saw a Cirrus SR22T G5 GTS on Controller with less than 100 hours on it for sale. Seriously?

Hey rich people, if you need something to spend your money on, shoot me a PM :)

Note that my comments above apply mostly to the spoiled brats of millionaires that have never worked a day in their life. To those people who bust their *** and earn their planes, nothing but respect.

I used to have a 1980 Landbruiser diesel. If I still owned it I wouldn't trade it for Tesla. But I live high in the Rocky Mtn hill country where we get serious winter and 4x4 or AWD is mandatory if you want to move around here between Nov and April.

Most Tesla's sold are 4WD. It's probably the best sedan you can have in snow because they have independent dual engines that can respond instantly to slippage.

Of course if you want a raised vehicle that's a different story, but it's always fun looking at that YouTube video of the Tesla driving around several 4 Runners that got stuck in the snow...

My second vehicle is a GMC 2500HD Diesel, which I also love, and I put as much miles on as my Tesla. But if road has ice or an inch or two of snow on it, I'll take my Tesla over my GMC any day. I'll take the GMC when it's over 6"s because at some point it will start scraping the bottom of the Tesla. But otherwise the traction on the Tesla is better.

In 40 or 50 years I gotta wonder how many people will be lovingly restoring a Tesla Model S so they can park it next to the '70 Boss 302s, Camaro RS/Z28s, Hemi Cudas, an LT1 350 solid lifter Vette, or a '57 Nomad on Saturday night?

I just cannot see the emotional attachment to a ~$80k electric car going much beyond "Whee, look at me. I got a free charge! Damn I'm saving money." :rofl:

Sure, but how many people 40 to 50 years are going to be restoring today's $80k BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Infinity or Acuras?

Most luxury cars only have value inside their own era. That doesn't mean you can't have an emotional attachment to it. My first car was a BMW 850i. It was a beast in the early 90's but they're worth nothing today. But I still had a blast with it and I have very fond memories of it... mostly because you can really only fit tiny Asian women in the back seat :)

And high performance - and your point? You need that for the SR-22 as well.

You dont need a complex endorsement for the SR22. It's no different from a Cherokee 235 in that regard.

Doesn't really matter as anyone who doesn't have the endorsement can get it during transition training.

Man it took me so long to save all the welfare checks to pay for my PPL...can't imagine how long it would take me to get an SR22

AWD is far superior to the 4wd in my 79 Toyota Landcruiser !
...interesting, I was always told (maybe incorrectly) that AWD is still ultimately just two wheel drive (one front and one back), and that 4 wheel drive implies all 4 wheels get power, which is why you're also not supposed to use 4WD on dry pavement. Maybe I've been told incorrect and I know today's cars have computers to send power to the correct tires so modern AWD is impressive, but surprised to hear you say that it is "far superior." Does your Landcruiser have locking diffs? My FJ does and it's definitely helped me out more than a few times!

...interesting, I was always told (maybe incorrectly) that AWD is still ultimately just two wheel drive (one front and one back), and that 4 wheel drive implies all 4 wheels get power, which is why you're also not supposed to use 4WD on dry pavement. Maybe I've been told incorrect and I know today's cars have computers to send power to the correct tires so modern AWD is impressive, but surprised to hear you say that it is "far superior." Does your Landcruiser have locking diffs? My FJ does and it's definitely helped me out more than a few times!

Oh yeah, you gotta jump out and lock in the hubs up in front - a real PITA ! Mine is pretty rare for these parts it's a BJ-43. 14 inches longer wheelbase than the 42.

Sure, but how many people 40 to 50 years are going to be restoring today's $80k BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Infinity or Acuras?
I've wondered the exact same thing... cars (and a lot commodities) today are disposable. In the 1920s you bought a desk fan and it was built with brass, steel, iron, and would last forever. Now you buy a $20 piece of junk Lasko fan to make it through a few summers. I hope that there are still some future classics out there though...

^that's kind of my "fear" with Cirrus and composites. You'll find 20, 30, 40, 50 year old (or older) planes on just about every airfield. Will we be seeing a 2005 SR20 and a 2017 SR22T in the year 2050? I know someone did the 12,000 hr airframe math so the potential is out there. But somehow I just don't see composites aging as well baking in the UV sun all day, etc.

Mine is pretty rare for these parts it's a BJ-43.
awesome. FJs are beasts. Jeep guys will hate them but I love the character these things had. I go crazy when I see a beautifully restored one parked somewhere and my friends go "it's just an old Jeep". oh well. Pardon the thread drift

Some quality time with Google will help. There's multiple different systems called "AWD".

Only SOME of them can move a vehicle that only has traction on ONE wheel and the rest are slipping, for example. Some have computer control, some don't. Some have computerized BRAKE control to force differentials to send power to the opposite side. You also have full and part time systems.

All sorts of combinations that build on a sub-set of about seven or so different technology changes over time.

It can get quite messy to describe. You kinda start from solid axles and locking manual hubs in history and work your way toward more and more automation where the "pilot" doesn't have to think about it. Don't even have to push a button anymore. Used to. ;)

I'd say the main difference between 4WD and AWD, at least in my experience, is that you can disengage 4WD and run in 2WD to save a small amount of fuel/parts wear, you can't disengage AWD.

I'd say the main difference between 4WD and AWD, at least in my experience, is that you can disengage 4WD and run in 2WD to save a small amount of fuel/parts wear, you can't disengage AWD.
I run in 2WD unless I absolutely need 4WD. I know when Toyota still made the FJ Cruiser their manual transmission sent power to all four wheels with an option to lock the center diff, and that model got less MPG

Some quality time with Google will help. There's multiple different systems called "AWD".
Yeah, I think every car maker has their own formula for AWD implementation. My "rule of thumb" has been that 4WD is more mechanical with locking or non locking diffs and AWD was open diffs but relied on electronic wizardry to get the right traction. For 99.9 percent of drivers AWD makes sense using this definition. But there are some applications, such as rock crawling, where it is critical that the wheels all turn at the same speed, etc., and that's where a legit 4WD system helps

A little while ago someone on Youtube made a comparison of Audi, BMW, and Merc AWD systems. They used an incline ramp with strategically placed rollers so that only one wheel would receive traction, it was an interesting exercise

From what I've see, and apparently according to Jeremy Clarkson, BMWs AWD system is not very good in off road applications (and I can't blame them, BMWs are NOT built for off pavement driving):

*pardon the crazy thread drift

Colorado has "4wd drive roads". Some of them are easy, some are harder and some are freaking scary impossible. But THE place is Moab. They have a 4wd jamboree out there. They do awesome things. They drive all over these gorgeous sandstone rocks that go on for miles and miles.

Friends dad had an old Jeep. It had a mechanical winch, off a drive shaft. So you had the handle that selected that driveshaft, and you could engage the front wheels only, the back wheels only or both front and back, or the winch. You had to engage the wheel lockers by getting out and turning this knob on the wheel. It didnt have differential lockers. WE had a great jack and carried a comealong to get unstuck. That thing could go up a lot of stuff. Rumor is someone took it to the top of The 3rd Boulder Flatiron. It was a "growler". What you really need is clearance though. It could have used some more of that. We learned what they say is true "4wd lets you get stuck in more remote places"

Affectionately referred to as "The Belching Whore" in the USN.
I'm sure there is probably a good story behind that, which may or may not be appropriate to share with polite company

Back