2013 IAC Advanced Known Video

Wow! :goofy: That looks like a wicked fun time! :rollercoaster: I'd love to do that some time. :drool:

Also, that was one hell of a slip. About what do you think your vertical speed was?

Wow, that's a fun video. Is that slip of paper on the panel your routine?

That's a cool routine. You're pretty smooth at it, too. Like the inverted box exit at the end, and nice landing too. ;).

Wow, that's a fun video. Is that slip of paper on the panel your routine?

Yep, we all put a sequence card on our panel incase we can't remember which figure to fly next...there's something about pulling and pushing G's that can make you pretty stupid. :) Just a print out of the sequence shown in the beginning of the video.

About what do you think your vertical speed was?

It comes down 3,200 fpm in a full slip at my normal approach speed (80 mph). A little more if you have a slight turning component as I did here.

BTW, you can tell the snap rolls from the aileron rolls by the whooshing/whistling sound during the snaps. :)

Last edited:
Great Video! I like watching these. Although I can't tell how "bad" it is, it all looks great and fun to me.

David

72-54 aerobatic 3-blade. I've got a bunch of comparison data between my old metal Sensenich and a 72-56 Catto and also between the 56 and 54 Catto that I could send. PM me with your email address if you're interested.

Ran across a hole in my knowledge.

What's the difference between a "positive" spin and a "negative" spin?

(I saw where the color of the spin triangle means one or the other, but is that "upright" and "inverted" in non-aerobatic layman's terms, or what am I missing there? The document says "positive" and "negative".)

An example would probably help.

Since I can only think of two types of spins, i'll assume a positive spin would be where you are not dangling by your harness, and the negative spin inverted where the harness is holding you in the seat

Enjoyed the video and that was a good article on Aresti

Last edited:
Ran across a hole in my knowledge.

What's the difference between a "positive" spin and a "negative" spin?

(I saw where the color of the spin triangle means one or the other, but is that "upright" and "inverted" in non-aerobatic layman's terms, or what am I missing there? The document says "positive" and "negative".)

An example would probably help.

You've got it. The reason it's described as "negative" rather than "inverted" is because there are lots of aerobatic maneuvers where you can be inverted under positive G load and vice versa. But even at contests we usually call them inverted spins...meaning you push forward to stall the airplane and spin rather than pulling back for the kind of spin that most of the world does. :) The spin in the video was a 1-turn inverted/negative spin.

Some of the proposals were a little unfriendly to the 4-cylinder stock bipes.
not to mention some Unknowns I have seen recently.

This has inspired me to have a go at the 2013 CIVA Intermediate/Yak52 Known in my S-2A.

not to mention some Unknowns I have seen recently.

IAC sequences have traditionally come from the membership. Per the IAC Board meeting agenda, this last year Brian Howard received no Known submissions and none of the Unknowns were legal and he had to rework them. In the end, he created all 20+ of the Unknowns in 2012, so he has stopped soliciting for them from the membership.

I still think the membership should be sending in sequences. So if you have some spare time, send one in.

Good idea, I will do some for the IAC as well as the AAC over the summer holidays.

Dude thats not bad at all. Little things here and there but overall really really solid. That is probably the friendliest advanced sequence I have seen a Pitts S1 do solidly. Didn't look like you really ran out of anything with 180hp, nice verticals!

Last edited:
Dude thats not bad at all. Little things here and there but overall really really solid. That is probably the friendliest advanced sequence I have seen a Pitts S1 do solidly. Didn't look like you really ran out of anything with 180hp, nice verticals!

I thought it looked really good and I noticed in a previous advanced routine video you posted, that you ran out of steam on a few of the maneuvers. I'm guessing that catto prop #2 was right on the money?

Ren - yeah, I was running out of steam on a couple figures in this year's Advanced Known -the laydown push humpty and the outside half loop up w/ rolls on top. The newest prop is pitched flatter at the root and has much better low speed thrust. Of course, things will be different when I'm flying this stuff in the middle of summer.

Careful flying Wall's Super D...you might become an acro nut. :)

Back