2013 Camp Scholler

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Okay, I'm in the process of finalizing the details for the Camp Scholler PoA and Babes and Airplanes compound at OSH. Last year we had a GREAT spot near Oak and Forest Home, and I'm hopeful we'll have a comparable spot this year, thanks to a friend of a friend who is willing to stake them out well ahead of time. We were able to secure it by purchasing the camping starting 7/18. This year, we'll be purchasing starting either 7/17 or 7/19. We're looking for EAA members who would be willing to purchase a campsite in the compound to expand the size. The cost is $25/day, so $450 +/- $25.

Don't rush out and purchase the camping quite yet; watch this space for further details!

Just one suggestion. Leave the tequila home.

Or leave China home. Which means leaving Steingar home. One of the two, and I will be fine. :lol:

Man, I am counting the DAYS until Oshkosh! :yesnod:

Grant, how does this work? Do we pay for camping and then your friend-of-a-friend can put the name on the site to hold the spot in the compound? And what it we're not staying the full week?

-Jim

Jim,
To increase the space available, be need to have the camping space pre-purchased from EAA with an arrival date of, let's say, 7/17. You would send me the PDF you get, which I then forward on to the person who will actually be staking out the campsites. If you leave early during the week, you will have met the 3 day minimum stay, so you could get a refund of however many days are left in the week. Undoubtedly there will be someone else in the group who wasn't able to help by getting the early spot, and we can use their camping certificate to continue holding the ground that was previously yours.

That brings up the point that, even if you cannot afford to help out by pre-buying the space, we will try to make room for you so you can camp with us in a primo spot. You will have to have a camping tag, though. The more people who can help out by purchasing with an early arrival date, the more space we have for others.

Jim,
To increase the space available, be need to have the camping space pre-purchased from EAA with an arrival date of, let's say, 7/17. You would send me the PDF you get, which I then forward on to the person who will actually be staking out the campsites. If you leave early during the week, you will have met the 3 day minimum stay, so you could get a refund of however many days are left in the week. Undoubtedly there will be someone else in the group who wasn't able to help by getting the early spot, and we can use their camping certificate to continue holding the ground that was previously yours.

That brings up the point that, even if you cannot afford to help out by pre-buying the space, we will try to make room for you so you can camp with us in a primo spot. You will have to have a camping tag, though. The more people who can help out by purchasing with an early arrival date, the more space we have for others.

Thanks, Grant. This will be my first time at OshKosh so I'm still trying to figure out how everything works.

We'd love to join the group in the POA compound. My 9-year-old son and I will be camping in our popup camper. Plan is to arrive Sunday afternoon (7/28) and depart Friday morning (8/2).

Can/should I buy a space 7/28 through the end and then get a refund on the way out for that last weekend?

Edit: just reread your post and saw that you mentioned 7/17. Do people start renting the spaces now in order to hold the spot until AirVenture starts?

Jim

Last edited:
Jim
I'm planning on getting in Monday the 29th with my clan.

You can pay for the week then they refund you the difference when you leave. Pretty easy stuff. You will have plenty of options for your camper if PoA site doesnt work out but it sounds like great deal! It's always easy to find decent spot close to showers (couple blocks away and easy walking distance).

My 10 year old son and I have made it 8 times since he was born and always camp at Scholler. we have used a tent and camper in years past. This year my wife and daughter are going and we are pulling our small Lance trailer.

I hope to meet up with the fellow Poa members also. Bring some bikes if you haven't already thought to do so. They are the best way to move around at your convenience. There is a bus system that works great but the bike best option.

Enjoy, hope to meet ya at OSH, safe travels.
Jon

Last edited:
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this; we've been at the 99s meeting in Bozeman.

We are going to get the campsites on 7/17 in the AM. So, if you are willing and able to help ensure enough space, the key is to go to www.airventure.org and purchase Camp Scholler camping with an arrival date of 7/17. Then send me the PDF of the confirmation that we will use to claim the camping space by 7/16. 1c5pilot at comcast.net or use the email from this site.

Yes, this means that you will likely be paying for days before you actually arrive (though you can arrive that early if you want), but it ensures a GREAT camping spot. When you send me the PDF, we will exchange phone numbers and arrival information so we can facilitate getting you your gate pass for you vehicle on arrival. If you will be leaving before the last Sunday you will be able to get a refund for unused nights as described at www.airventure.org.

If you cannot afford to pay for that much time, go ahead and purchase Camp Scholler camping space based on when you will actually be arriving and we will try to find you space in the compound when you arrive.

Grant
Blue and I decided that this year we could not afford the extra time. I will be there on Sunday, but Blue won't be arriving till Wednesday. Hopefully you can help us get a spot as close as possible. Also I will be more than glad to help with the get together you have or let me know what to bring. PM me your # What has happened to Tim Mets?

Grant
Blue and I decided that this year we could not afford the extra time. I will be there on Sunday, but Blue won't be arriving till Wednesday. Hopefully you can help us get a spot as close as possible. Also I will be more than glad to help with the get together you have or let me know what to bring. PM me your # What has happened to Tim Mets?

Tim just started a new job, so he's been pretty busy. I'll PM you.

Grant, I can't swing the two weeks. Wife and I are planning on arriving Wednesday and leaving Saturday, so if there are any early departers we would like their spot. If not, I will be sure to swing by and be a general nuisance in the mornings and evenings :)

Now just figuring out what is really necessary for 4 days camping at an airshow....

Okay, no one but Leslie and I got Camp Scholler passes. (More than) a bit bummed about that. Partly my fault, though, as I didn't specify the final date until recently. Ah well. We still have limited space for others to join us. If you would like to camp with us, please add to the grid below AND SEND ME AN EMAIL WITH YOUR CONTACT INFO

|---------------------|--------|--------|-----------|
|=========NAME========|=ARRIVE=|=DEPART=|=TENT_SIZE=|
|Grant_&_Leslie_&_Mary|--7/27--|--8/04--|----10-----|

Okay, no one but Leslie and I got Camp Scholler passes. (More than) a bit bummed about that. Partly my fault, though, as I didn't specify the final date until recently. Ah well. We still have limited space for others to join us. If you would like to camp with us, please add to the grid below AND SEND ME AN EMAIL WITH YOUR CONTACT INFO

Don't feel too bad, Grant -- at least you can reserve spots in Scholler, and tell people where you'll be.

Those of us trying to organize out in the airplane camping areas must reinvent the wheel every year, trying to connect with people who have been randomly parked over a 500 acre site.

It's amazing we ever find anyone, out in the North 40. :D

And God help you if you get parked in the South 40, or whatever they're calling "North Fond du Lac" nowadays...

Code:
|Dana_&_swmbo---------|--7/29--|--8/03--|----06-----|

I assume the only thing EAA provides is a fire ring, and not a picnic table?

Code:

I assume the only thing EAA provides is a fire ring, and not a picnic table?
No fire rings or picnic tables, just a patch of ground that should be left as close to you found it as possible. In other words, if we actually had room for a fire ring (which I really don't think we do), we would cut the sod up and replace it afterwards. To be honest, I really don't like seeing open fires around there with the number of tents around. We're not talking about back woods camping!

Hi Grant -

Sorry that I was remiss in getting back to you about our plans. I am over budget for this trip and still recovering from my first airplane purchase last fall, and honestly I just didn't have the cash to pay for all the extra advance days.

This will be our first OshKosh. If space allows, we would still love to camp with the POA group during our stay. However, if there's not room, we certainly understand and will still try to find everyone to say hello.

Thanks.

Jim

|Jim & Carter ---------|--7/28--|--8/02--|Popup Camper|

Tim just started a new job, so he's been pretty busy. I'll PM you.

I'll be out on the Saturday - August 3rd and staying until the end of the evening airshow. Not gonna miss OSH and the chance to see my friends again even if it's just for a short time.

|Jim & Carter ---------|--7/28--|--8/02--|Popup Camper|
| Linda Guthrie. -----------|--7/28--|--8/3--|---02---|

|------------------------|--------|--------|------------|
|==========NAME==========|=ARRIVE=|=DEPART=|=TENT_SIZE=|
|------------------------|--------|--------|------------|
|Grant_&_Leslie_&_Mary---|--7/27--|--8/04--|-----10-----|
|Dana_&_swmbo------------|--7/29--|--8/03--|-----06-----|
|Jim & Carter------------|--7/28--|--8/02--|Popup Camper|
|Linda Guthrie-----------|--7/28--|--8/03--|-----10-----|
|Greg_&_Sharon_Bockelman-|--7/27--|--8/03?-|-----04-----|

Just got a call from Greg...

Sure looks to me like we're full up. I updated Linda's entry to show the tent size instead of the number of people, because I'm pretty sure I know which tent she's bringing! We're also going to have a LOT of vehicles, and that'll be "interesting".

Hi Grant -

We are still on track for a Sunday afternoon arrival. Should I just watch this thread to see if there'll be space when we get there? If the compound is full up, we'll try to get a spot in the general vicinity so that we are close to the festivities.

Two more days until we leave... can't wait!!!

Jim

Carter and I arrived late yesterday afternoon. We are near 28th and Cedar. It's a little ways out but we are next to the ultralight emergency runway and the farm field so we have some space. We will try and find you guys today or tomorrow to say hi.

Jim

Carter and I arrived late yesterday afternoon. We are near 28th and Cedar. It's a little ways out but we are next to the ultralight emergency runway and the farm field so we have some space. We will try and find you guys today or tomorrow to say hi.

Jim

glad you made it. We going to a forum on inflight weather in Forum 11 At 2:30

glad you made it. We going to a forum on inflight weather in Forum 11 At 2:30

Didn't make it to the forums today. Man, it's tough keeping a 9-year-old occupied, even at Airventure.

We are chilling back in Camp Scholler. Carter has made some buddies. Hope to get a second wind and get back to the show for the evening entertainment. If I don't see you before hand, we will still stop by the dinner tomorrow evening. I bought some 2L sodas that I will bring.

Jim

Is the theater inside the paid area or outside?

Wish I was there...

Wish you were too! We're planning to be in Ft. Worth for WOPA Summit. You?

we need to figure out some congregation plans. Several of us PoA'ers are in the D/FW area.

Back