2012 AOPA Summit Parade Of Planes

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
I read somewhere that this is the first time in SIX YEARS they have taxi'd these planes on city streets. Pretty cool!

Very cool. Can anyone fly in and taxi their aircraft down the street, or do you have to know the secret AOPA handshake?

Pretty sure it's only vendors. Wouldn't want any ugly airplanes in the parades. ;)

I thought they did that every time they hold summit in Palm Springs? No?

I read somewhere this hasn't happened in six years (the taxi on public streets thing). So I looked it up:

2012 - Palm Springs

2011 - CT

2010 - Long Beach

2009 - Tampa (first summit)

That was all I could find, so is this the only time it was in Palm Springs?

Top five reasons to catch AOPA's Parade of Planes

Aviation eBrief | Sep 13, 2012

AOPA's Parade of Planes returns after six years. Watch as dozens of aircraft taxi under their own power from Palm Springs International Airport to the Palm Springs Convention Center on Oct. 10. Here are the top five reasons you won't want to miss this parade.

This is one of those emails I get (aviation eBrief). So that's where I read it.

Top five reasons to catch AOPA's Parade of Planes

Aviation eBrief | Sep 13, 2012

AOPA's Parade of Planes returns after six years. Watch as dozens of aircraft taxi under their own power from Palm Springs International Airport to the Palm Springs Convention Center on Oct. 10. Here are the top five reasons you won't want to miss this parade.

This is one of those emails I get (aviation eBrief). So that's where I read it.

AOPA last held its (then-) Expo in Palm Springs back in 2006. It was in Hartford, CT in 2007, and San Jose in 2008.

It was fun watching it live. Then there was the Bonanza that ignored the flagger's instructions to turn (hamming for the camera?) and had to be pushed by hand back around the turn with the prop spinning!

It was fun watching it live. Then there was the Bonanza that ignored the flagger's instructions to turn (hamming for the camera?) and had to be pushed by hand back around the turn with the prop spinning!

Typical Bo driver. Heheh. (Ducking as Spike throws things at me.)

Kim, did you catch that it used to be called AOPA Expo? Look under that name for years prior to 2009.

No one knows why they changed from calling it an Expo to some cutsie name more commonly associated with self-help books. I'm sure the Marketing people thought it up over deep thought at a bar somewhere. ;)

Wow! Some of the planes are actually running. A rarity these days.

Back