2011 in flying

In 2011, I:
-became a commercial pilot
-became a CFI
-became a CFII
-Flew 373 hours
-Gave 264 hours of instruction
-Endorsed two pilots for instrument checkrides, they passed.
-Soloed one private pilot student
-Performed 9 flight reviews
-Performed 7 instrument proficiency checks
-Gave 3 HP/complex signoffs
-Logged 30 hours in a 182 dropping skydivers

Not a bad year, I suppose...

Great stuff Jesse! Keep up the excellent work!

Best,

Dave

In 2011, I:
-became a commercial pilot
-became a CFI
-became a CFII
-Flew 373 hours
-Gave 264 hours of instruction
-Endorsed two pilots for instrument checkrides, they passed.
-Soloed one private pilot student
-Performed 9 flight reviews
-Performed 7 instrument proficiency checks
-Gave 3 HP/complex signoffs
-Logged 30 hours in a 182 dropping skydivers

Not a bad year, I suppose...

AWESOME.

In 2011 I became one of those pilots I abhore; flew 4.6 hours....IR currency and a couple laps around the patt.

Stuff....happens. To say it's a 'perfect storm' conveys the idea it is rare but severe when it comes. It comes alright, I don't know how rare it is. I'm talking of an immense amount of personal adversity, some of it tragic.

Onwards and upwards, I say. Never give in.

my fifth yr as a pilot and I have reached 350 hours,75 this yr. I ck'ed out in the 182, and landed at KSEA(claimed @ goflyamerica) Dave

my fifth yr as a pilot and I have reached 350 hours,75 this yr. I ck'ed out in the 182, and landed at KSEA(claimed @ goflyamerica) Dave
Sounds good! Leslie and I are both checked out in the C182, and I think I claimed KMDW for GoFlyAmerica, and she claimed KORD (O'Hare!)

Sounds good! Leslie and I are both checked out in the C182, and I think I claimed KMDW for GoFlyAmerica, and she claimed KORD (O'Hare!)

same plane? that would be awesome if we had the same plane grabbing a bunch of the bravos.

It was a great first year of flying.

* Started and finished Private Pilot training (Feb - Aug)
* 110 total hours logged (70 PIC)
* Flew my dad for the first time
* Flew DA20, DA40, Warrior, 172
* Tangier Holly Run
* DC - Nantucket Trip
* Perfect safety record

Next year's goals
* Start/Finish IFR training
* Start flying club 182RG (I need 100hrs PIC and 10hrs type training)
* Go to first AirVenture
* Fly into a class B
* Fly in the Caribbean
* Get at least one friend to start taking flying lessons

So you don't care about safety for next year! NOOOOO

All in all, she enjoyed it and said she would fly again...UNTIL.>>>The unfortunate TBM-700 crash out of KTEB(which is only 30 miles from us) a week later!!! RIP.

Wife is now very nervous and I really don't think she will ever fly with me again :( I said to my friends and co-workers,.....Damn, this had to happen a week after I finally convinced my wife to fly! Such is life I guess.

Have you tried telling her that a turboprop trying to climb through heavy icing is much different than flying a cessna around on bluebird days?

Not a single minute of PIC in 2011. Hoping for a significant increase in 2012. I did manage to log approx. 450hrs of FE time this year, so I got my fix and stayed busy.

I finished up the year flying a trip with my dad in the Citation. It was a blast flying with him again.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG-20111230-00209.jpg
    IMG-20111230-00209.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 116
Just totaled up my logbook for 2011...

Total time, 33.1hrs

21hrs in a Cessna 152 and 12.1hrs in a Piper Arrow. Not too bad considering I was unemployed for 9 months in 2011.

The highlight of my year however, was hitching a ride with iGismo and flying to Oshkosh in his Beechcraft Baron! :eek: That was awesome!!!

I expect 2012 to be a much better year for flying!

Have you tried telling her that a turboprop trying to climb through heavy icing is much different than flying a cessna around on bluebird days?

Believe me, I explained all of that and even gave my armature opinion of what might have went wrong. Didn't seem to do much good though. It's kind of hard to convince your non-pilot friends & family after they get bombarded with news reports of an "experienced" instrument rated pilot that kills himself and family in a crash! They say we know you're a good & safe pilot, etc, etc. but all they see in their heads is death. I even have a friend that was supposed to fly with me last week or call me to let me know that he couldn't make it.....NO SHOW, NO CALL:rolleyes2:

Believe me, I explained all of that and even gave my armature opinion of what might have went wrong. Didn't seem to do much good though. It's kind of hard to convince your non-pilot friends & family after they get bombarded with news reports of an "experienced" instrument rated pilot that kills himself and family in a crash! They say we know you're a good & safe pilot, etc, etc. but all they see in their heads is death. I even have a friend that was supposed to fly with me last week or call me to let me know that he couldn't make it.....NO SHOW, NO CALL:rolleyes2:

Flying can be a nice getaway too

Okay here goes... If my LogTen is right...

88.8 PIC ASEL
35.7 Night
37.7 XC
7.1 Actual Instrument
34.6 Dual Received
37.3 Instrument
60 Flights

December of course, blew every other month out of the water hours-wise. (See "Operation Butt Freeze thread.) May and October were highest besides that.

Highlights:

It was technically last year, but flew a local radio station jock and her boyfriend for the Centennial of Women in Aviation on 5 Dec 2010. Jackie Selby from KOSI radio here in DEN. Very cool.

2011 (finally) topped 1992 for flight hours per year in my log, after co-owning the 182 LLC for three years.

Flew my first Colorado Pilot's Association "Poker Run" in April. (Didn't win. Definitely didn't get the wildcard for the spot landing as Murphey can attest.)

Flew an old friend's kids. Multiple flights, took all day. Every kid got right front seat time. Kids from another friend also went up. Flew my dad's neighbor's kids also as a thank you for the great welding job he did on our tug. Still owe him and his wife a flight.

Attempt #2 at getting the airplane to OSH. Last year was the aborted Cessnas2Oshkosh mass arrival for "Sloshkosh 2010".

This year, a broken plug wire at KLBF, my friend Doug and I grabbed a rental car back to DEN, loaded the Yukon and drove to OSH with Alan's "Taj Ma Tent", and "rescued" the airplane from Nebraska on the way home.

First OperationFly.com airport claims in August. Landed on the AstroTurf runway at 5V4 which is quite odd.

Stayed night current all year, no breaks. (And day passenger current also of course.)

Finally visited the excellent aviation museums in Seattle late last year, and the museum in Pueblo (KPUB) in October 2011.

Flew to KLNK and got serious about the IR with Jesse. Had a splendid time. Flew my butt off in December.

Got to fly with Clark and enjoy his humor while I muddled through getting us from point A to point B under the hood.

Flew today (okay it's 2012...) with an old friend's son who's Commercial/Instrument rated this year. He's pursuing an aviation career and it's fun to see him progressing so quickly. I would not want to be his dad's wallet right now. ;)

Wife bought her first ANR headset before I gave up my DC head-clamps. She had to have a pink headset. Ha. Female aviation fashion statement, I guess. I finally gave in late this year and am enjoying the Lightspeed Sierras now.

Goals for 2012:

Finish the IR!!!

Try to make it to Gastons.

Oshkosh again. May be RV camping this time, it's not my year to take the airplane. Perhaps I'll land at OSH in 2013, finally?

Find some time to finish a CAP Form 5, finish the Observer and Aerial Photography specialty ratings. Maybe work on Mission Pilot. Would also like to finish up the G1000 FITS transition training already started and currently at a stop.

(While continuing my "real" job as both Squadron Communications Officer and Wing Commuications Engineering Officer... and one of the Squadron's Emergency Services Alerting Officers... Busy! Also attending the Corporate Leadership Course in February.)

Try to get some sailplane time in this year.

Probably something else...

That reminds me of one of my goals: staying night current all year.

I *think* that makes you day current too but not sure. I found out it cost $52 to do so that is something I can afford every 90 days for sure. The trick is finding a clear night.

That reminds me of one of my goals: staying night current all year.

I *think* that makes you day current too but not sure. I found out it cost $52 to do so that is something I can afford every 90 days for sure. The trick is finding a clear night.
It does.

In 2011 my logbook program says I flew 355.0 hours which is about 20 hours more than last year. 350.5 were MEL, all in the C680 for work, and 4.5 were SEL. I seem to recall being a safety pilot, giving a FR and other people letting me fly their airplanes for a little bit here and there. Thanks Clark, Murphey and Murphey's friend the RV-6A pilot. My other small airplane experience was going for a ride with Kimberly in the 152 which was cool.

In 2011 my logbook program says I flew 355.0 hours which is about 20 hours more than last year. 350.5 were MEL, all in the C680 for work, and 4.5 were SEL. I seem to recall being a safety pilot, giving a FR and other people letting me fly their airplanes for a little bit here and there. Thanks Clark, Murphey and Murphey's friend the RV-6A pilot. My other small airplane experience was going for a ride with Kimberly in the 152 which was cool.

Yay small airplanes. We should fly again in 2012 to some other neat little place. This time our rental plane's flap motor will hopefully work LOL.

Wait, you can give flight reviews? I will have to look you up in two years.

Yay small airplanes. We should fly again in 2012 to some other neat little place. This time our rental plane's flap motor will hopefully work LOL.
Who needs flaps? :D

It would be fun to go somewhere else in the 152. :)

Only 93 hours on the tach this year. Work sure interferes with hobby flying. Must do better this year. Need more safety pilot time when you're available.

Only 93 hours on the tach this year. Work sure interferes with hobby flying. Must do better this year. Need more safety pilot time when you're available.

Don't forget thay I owe you some SP time too... and I'll drive out to FTG to meet up if you like.

Work flying interferes with hobby flying too. I figured I flew every day from the 22nd to the 2nd except for Christmas Eve (when we had our POA lunch) and Christmas Day. No lack of charter business around the holidays this year...

Hopefully things will slow down and I can sneak away.

LOL last I checked pigs could not fly.

Flying is all about dreams. With respect to Journey, "Don't stop believin'". (God I'm old.)

I have a friend who is a recently divorced 1st grade teacher. She received a scholarship, I think from the 99's, to pay for most of the costs for either her commercial or CFI. Perhaps there are other avenues available to you too.

Flying is all about dreams. With respect to Journey, "Don't stop believin'". (God I'm old.)

I have a friend who is a recently divorced 1st grade teacher. She received a scholarship, I think from the 99's, to pay for most of the costs for either her commercial or CFI. Perhaps there are other avenues available to you too.

I've been sent all the ones around here for the past year and they require I be certain things or live in certain areas. Also, they are not nearly enough money to pay for even a fraction and I think I have to do certain things once I get them. Thanks, though.

I've been sent all the ones around here for the past year and they require I be certain things or live in certain areas. Also, they are not nearly enough money to pay for even a fraction and I think I have to do certain things once I get them. Thanks, though.
Ninety Nines Amelia Earhart Scholarship:
http://www.ninety-nines.org/index.cfm/scholarships.htm said:
Flight Training Scholarship:Fully paid scholarship to complete an additional pilot certificate or rating or pilot training course. Examples: Multi-engine rating, commercial certificate, KingAir competency or qualification training. Note:Excludes jet type rating. Requirements: Must be a current pilot with the appropriate medical certificate, and must be approaching the flight time requirement for the rating or certificate, if any.
Highlighted sections mine. So get flying! :)

Also check out Women in Aviation International; they have some scholarships too, but the 2012 ones are already closed. 2013 opens up in August. http://www.wai.org/education/scholarships.cfm

Who is this 'Journey' you speak of? That is definitely a Glee song. duh! :rofl:

Ninety Nines Amelia Earhart Scholarship:

Highlighted sections mine. So get flying! :)

Also check out Women in Aviation International; they have some scholarships too, but the 2012 ones are already closed. 2013 opens up in August. http://www.wai.org/education/scholarships.cfm

Thanks, Grant. I thought it was the 99s. And if anyone can use an IR, it's Kimberly dealing with that darn marine layer that I keep reading about!

Well, 2011 came and went, and I did not get my commercial (and my knowledge exam is now expired, so I'll need to take the exam for the third time.)

• Had a bunch of good trips, including my first trip through Canadian airspace and my longest leg to date (6.5 hours), both on the same leg, in fact!
  • I racked up over 81 hours, of which over 10% was dual received. (Not to mention the time I was "copilot" for Leslie.)
  • I added CT, WV, and MD to the states I've flown to.
  • I flew into my first AOPA Summit.
  • Flew to Windwood for the first time.
  • Drove for the first time to 6Y9. (First year since the reopening we haven't flown there!)
  • Drove to AirVenture for the 9th time.
  • Skipped Gastons!:yikes:
  • I made a return visit to Treasure Cay in the Bahamas, and took the ferry over to Green Turtle Cay.
  • Not aviation related, but while in the Abacos managed to get stranded on Spoil Cay when the tide went out, too! :hairraise: Extricated ourselves just in time to get over to Great Guana Cay for a drink before high-tailing it back to Treasure Cay through some rainshowers to get the boat returned in time!)
  • Also failed to do a Lifeline Pilots flight during the year! Need to make up for that in 2012.

Back