2010 FAR/AIM Updates

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
We all know (I hope) that the 2010 FAR/AIMs that were published are all out of date already. ASA has published the mid-year update for theirs, and it is 57 pages long. http://www.asa2fly.com/FARAIM-Flight-Crew-and-FAR-AMT-Updates--C183_category.aspx

Here are the areas they listed covered in 61 and 91 that would tend to apply to most of us (this list is not complete!). I think that AOPA's ASF version had a similar publication date, so I would expect the list to be similar too. Interestingly, I don't see the changes in the IFR currency regulations included in this list, though I don't remember it being in the book.

February 1, 2010
Effective date: April 2, 2010
Parts 43 and 91: The FAA is amending its rules for sport pilots and flight instructors with a sport pilot rating to address airman certification and operational issues. These changes will update those regulations to reflect operational experience gained since the original regulations became effective.

Parts 91, 125, and 135: The FAA is removing certain provisions in its regulations that allow for operations with "polished frost" (i.e., frost polished to make it smooth) on the wings and stabilizing and control surfaces of aircraft. The rule is expected to increase safety by not allowing operations with "polished frost," which the FAA has determined increases the risk of unsafe flight.

Parts 23, 25*, 27, 91, 125, and 135: The FAA is amending a final rule published on March 7, 2008. That final rule amended cockpit voice recorder and digital flight data recorder regulations affecting certain air carriers, operators, and aircraft.

Dagnabbit - am I going to have to buy a new set of night vision goggles?!
:rolleyes:

Yay, FAA. Keep up the good work, fellas!!

I buy a paper copy once a year, knowing that it will soon be out of date. But for most things it is just fine. If I had a question that was super serious to get the latest answer I would check the FAA's online version, but outside of perhaps CFIs or others that HAVE to have the most up to date info, does anyone actually do change management on their copies?

I buy a paper copy once a year,
Me, too.
...outside of perhaps CFIs or others that HAVE to have the most up to date info, does anyone actually do change management on their copies?
Not me, and I am a CFI. I just try to stay aware of the changes as they occur, and remember what requires reference to the e-versions for the current info.

I skipped purchasing the 2010 edition because of all the changes that I knew wouldn't be in there. I plan on getting the 2011 edition when it's released.

I skipped purchasing the 2010 edition because of all the changes that I knew wouldn't be in there. I plan on getting the 2011 edition when it's released.
But it'll be out of date, too, probably...

Ryan

Isn't it just advisory anyways :devil: ?

Like the CFI mentioned on here recently that did not know Loran was gone...

denny-o

Parts 43 and 91 sport rules: What they need to do with the Sport Pilot regs is bump up the max gross TO weight a little higher. The C150 would be great for this role. New pilots to learn to fly, and old timers to ride out the last bit of flying years they have.

Back