2009 worst year on record for airlines

1. Actually, selling the remaining seats at less than the going price is a way to improve cash flow - because the seat/trip is perishable... Economics 101...
2. The airlines are the worst managed businesses in the world and the majority of airline execs should be shot, or worse...
3. SWA is one of the few (well, OK, the one) that seems to understand.. Their CEO made an unannounced entry onto an SWA jet that was being prepared for departure one morning... The crew was short one stew and behind on stocking... Rather than throw a kingly tantrum, he promptly peeled off his expensive suit jacket and began moving blankets and pillows (remember when they had those?) and making the cabin tidy... That is the primary difference in how SWA runs compared to the others...

denny-o

I ride UA whenever possible for the two reasons that make them stand out from the other legacy carriers - E+ seating and channel 9. Legroom is king. When possible I upgrade to F, but I sure don't buy tickets for that section. I can't afford it, and my company will not pay for it.

Other than meals and having to pay to check bags (which I don't on Star Alliance airlines due to being 1P on UA) I haven't noticed a bit change over the years. Most airlines lack legroom in cattle car. Some worse than others, but none are good (except E+ on UA). Some airlines are better than others with respect to keeping schedules. It took NWA 30 years (and I'm not kidding) before they finally got me somewhere on time. The largest unscheduled airline in the world. I avoid them if at all possible. To this day the only place they've ever gotten me to or from on time is Hawaii. And that's over a 40 year period.

I ride airlines because there is no practical alternative for many trips.

Although airline travel has a lot of problems I think that deregulation has been more of a positive than an negative for a large majority of the population,

I can't disagree with that, Mari. But at what cost? Left to its logical conclusion there will be one airline left after all the dust settles and then where will the passengers be? Not saying that will happen, but...

therefore I think it would be very difficult to reverse.

That is true, but if things get really out of hand, I would think there would be incentive to do so anyway.

Left to its logical conclusion there will be one airline left after all the dust settles and then where will the passengers be? Not saying that will happen, but...
I guess the good part is that the airlines are not totally deregulated. There are still anti-trust laws.

I guess the good part is that the airlines are not totally deregulated. There are still anti-trust laws.

So what happens when there are two left and one has to file Chapter 7 and liquidate?

I guess that is when we get an influx of foreign airlines to provide our service.

So what happens when there are two left and one has to file Chapter 7 and liquidate?
Somehow I can't see that happening. It seems like there's always someone else who wants to start an airline or grow a small one into a bigger one, a la Republic. Of course I think they are fools but...

I guess that is when we get an influx of foreign airlines to provide our service.
There would need to be a change in the cabotage laws to allow that.

Please don't think that there aren't groups lobbying REAL HARD for exactly that to happen. :mad3:
With that topic watch carefully what is happening in the maritime world. That is the canary in the coal mine for the repeal of those acts. There is a lot more effort underway to clear out the laws to make it easy for transport of materials and cruise lines.

The one thing that the airlines still have going for it that is helping to keep some of this at bay is the civil air reserve fleet concept and agreements.

Back