2009 Camp Scholler PoA Dinner 7/28/09

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Leslie and I are planning to have a PoA dinner, probably on Tuesday night after the airshow. It will be at our campsite in Camp Scholler. Don't know yet what we'll be making, but possibilities so far include Jambalaya or Chili. This isn't going to be as big as Jay H's get-together on Wednesday or the PoA/Babes dinner at the White House on Thursday, but we hope to make it fun! Please let us know by posting on this thread if you plan to attend so we can have enough food available.

(Greg & Sharon, we know you weren't planning to arrive until Wednesday, but it would be GREAT to see you Tuesday night!)

Leslie and I are planning to have a PoA dinner, probably on Tuesday night after the airshow. It will be at our campsite in Camp Scholler. Don't know yet what we'll be making, but possibilities so far include Jambalaya or Chili. This isn't going to be as big as Jay H's get-together on Wednesday or the PoA/Babes dinner at the White House on Thursday, but we hope to make it fun! Please let us know by posting on this thread if you plan to attend so we can have enough food available.

(Greg & Sharon, we know you weren't planning to arrive until Wednesday, but it would be GREAT to see you Tuesday night!)

Yes, wouldn't it!:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

I'll try and show, but please don't be offended if I fail to partake the main course. The whole dead animal thing...

Last edited:
We can try to serve live animals, if you prefer. Maybe Gagh?

Sorry, hon - no live animals on the menu.

However, some awesome veggie chili can find its way on the list, along with a more traditional jambalaya for the carnivores.

I'll be there, especially if I'm camping there anyway! ;)

I'll try to get there. I'm not sure, yet when we're leaving...might be Tues evening, but if not, count me in!

BTW, my dietary requirements are such that I have to have one item per meal that used to have a face. MMMMmmmmm good.

(knowing why he has cuspids),

jf

Well, one of my questions has apparently been answered. You may park your vehicle right next to your tent or trailer. I base this on phots from prior years. BTW, it's rather amazing, but Googling "camp scholler" brings up this thread in the first ten posts! :eek:

I will try to come over and shake come hands. I have not been to active on this board due to deployments and stuff, but would love to meet you guys and put faces to names.

I will try to come over and shake come hands. I have not been to active on this board due to deployments and stuff, but would love to meet you guys and put faces to names.
Love to have you there, and the offer of a beer is still there!

Okay, Leslie's really getting this thing going for Tuesday. She went and made chili powder from scratch for the vegetarian chili (Michael, you're covered!), and is bringing the big pot for the Jambalaya. The andouille has already been purchased!

We're also doing dinner Saturday, Sunday, Monday, when we'll have duck breast, salmon, and sausages. We have more than we need for the two of us, but not enough for a huge crowd. If you want to stop by, give us a call. Our number is on Tim's list.

Okay, Leslie's really getting this thing going for Tuesday. She went and made chili powder from scratch for the vegetarian chili (Michael, you're covered!), and is bringing the big pot for the Jambalaya. The andouille has already been purchased!

We're also doing dinner Saturday, Sunday, Monday, when we'll have duck breast, salmon, and sausages. We have more than we need for the two of us, but not enough for a huge crowd. If you want to stop by, give us a call. Our number is on Tim's list.

What can I bring as a dish to pass for Ma & Me... we would like to camp next to you if you can save us a spot (see PM)

We're planning to inhabit the North 40, but we'll try and swing by and maybe even bring something. I can't make as many promises as I would like for the latter, since there is a pretty strict limit to what can be hauled in the Cherokee.

The Sholler detachment of PoA will have vehicles so trecks to find some local brew could be arranged.

I'm going to buy a big styro cooler when I'm up there.

I don't know the "ettiquette" of saving spaces. I'd sure love to camp with Missa/Ted/etc... but I won't be arriving at Scholler by car until Thursday morning. I'll swing by on foot though earlier in the week.

I'm going to buy a big styro cooler when I'm up there.

I don't know the "ettiquette" of saving spaces. I'd sure love to camp with Missa/Ted/etc... but I won't be arriving at Scholler by car until Thursday morning. I'll swing by on foot though earlier in the week.

I don't think that you're supposed to save spaces without purchasing them. You may be able to get away with it for a day or so, but probably not 5 days:nono:. And I don't think you'd want to pay for 5 days of usage that you can't actually use, though we'd certainly be willing to front you the money if you do! Missa's requested a space near the ****a :D, and should be arriving on Saturday (the 25th) shortly after us.

Anyone else?

Grant, I'll be coming on Tuesday (in time for your party!). I'll have a small tent and a motorcycle, so if you could save a little space for me, I'd appreciate it. I should be pretty easy to make room for. :)

Dumb question here... Tuesday after the airshow results in approximately what time? My plan is to show up in time for dinner. As it's a 13 hour ride, I'd like to know about what time I want to aim to get there then. That'll affect my wake up/hit the road time, or if I end up leaving Monday after work instead.

Dumb question here... Tuesday after the airshow results in approximately what time? My plan is to show up in time for dinner. As it's a 13 hour ride, I'd like to know about what time I want to aim to get there then. That'll affect my wake up/hit the road time, or if I end up leaving Monday after work instead.

6. Maybe 5:30. And if you wake up at 3 AM to leave at 4:30 AM and ride until 5:30 PM - You're frickin' nuts. :yes:

Ted, we'll save some food (and margaritas) for you. Don't kill yourself getting there!:no:

6. Maybe 5:30. And if you wake up at 3 AM to leave at 4:30 AM and ride until 5:30 PM - You're frickin' nuts. :yes:

Remember that I gain an hour going that direction, so really it's the equivalent of 12. If I'm on the road by 5:30-6 AM, that should be about right. Since I'll have the bike packed the night before, I really will only need about 30 minutes to get prepared and hit the road.

Of course, one I get to the general area expect a call from me going "Hey, where is everyone?!" :)

Thanks for saving me some food and margaritas in case I run late, Grant! :)

Be really, really careful Ted. A long ride like that takes a bit out of a fellow. Remember, its just dinner. We'll all still be there the next day. Don't kill yourself trying to get there.

Last year for Osh I did 750 miles one day and 450 miles the next day to get out to Osh (went the long way through Canada). Coming home I did the 830 miles straight in one shot. All this was on the same bike.

I have the appropriately manufactured metallic posterior. :)

Cool beans. I've done lots of heroic rides in the past, I just remember being pretty tired at the end of them. Then again, I didn't at the time have as capable a steed.

I wouldn't want to do that sort of trip on your Fireblade. The VTX is a great bike for long trips, which is why I bought it. When I get my sportbike, it will probably be profoundly uncomfortable, and not something that I would intend on riding for 13 hours in a day.

Okay, the dinner is ON! The PoA Camp Scholler compound is at Lindbergh at 9th. Jambalaya, vegetarian chili, and libations.

And, in order to accommodate those going to the LightSpeed event (the location was moved, if you weren't aware), we'll be doing dinner at about 7PM on Tuesday.

Yes, very very well done. Quite worth the rather long walk. I was unaware of those expansive campgrounds. They do go on.

If you do such a commanding job again I might have to invest in one of those thrift shop bicycles so we can attend more regularly.

Yes, very very well done. Quite worth the rather long walk. I was unaware of those expansive campgrounds. They do go on.

If you do such a commanding job again I might have to invest in one of those thrift shop bicycles so we can attend more regularly.
And they do run a free shuttle bus pretty regularly! I never walked the entire campsite! :no::yikes:

Nevermind the fact that I gave y'all a ride back to your campsite. ;)

It is a long walk if you do walk it, but fortunately there do tend to be busses, golf carts, and friends to help out on making the rides a bit easier.

It is a long walk if you do walk it, but fortunately there do tend to be busses, golf carts, and friends to help out on making the rides a bit easier.
In whose vehicle? :)

We were constantly getting and receiving rides. On Saturday, we even had one of the volunteer carts pick us up near the tower and take us all the way back to our campsite. And we gave Pete a ride back from the Seaplane base, and so forth. Michael, I think you just didn't know enough at the time to catch the bus or call for a ride from someone! Bet you do now! :yes:

And they do run a free shuttle bus pretty regularly! I never walked the entire campsite! :no::yikes:

You are quite correct, but being new to the situation we didn't realize this until far too late. It was a bit of a shock knowing we had to go to row 10 and we were at row 80. But like the stout Ohioans we are, we did the hike. China sends his regards as well, he really had a blast and thought the walk very worthwhile.

Yes, and I did not mean to imply otherwise. Believe me the assistance was quite appreciated, I think the busses had ceased running at that point.

All too true, although I suspect bicycling on the road would be considerably faster than going through all the trams and busses and whatnot. Definitely worth the effort and expense, given the fine food and company.

Back