2008 Reno Air Races

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Anybody from this board going to Reno this year? September 10-14 (www.airrace.org)

Teresa and I should be there... her Dad called me yesterday and said "Life's short, I've never been to Reno OR the Air Races, so here's my credit card number, book us all tickets, get us there". :)

Anybody from this board going to Reno this year? September 10-14 (www.airrace.org)

Teresa and I should be there... her Dad called me yesterday and said "Life's short, I've never been to Reno OR the Air Races, so here's my credit card number, book us all tickets, get us there". :)
Sounds fun. If we weren't planning to do the Red Bull AND already have a flyout to Mackinac Island scheduled for that weekend, we'd probably look at going!

So, uh... Did he define "us"? :D :goofy:

Should be there this year. We'll be under a wing of one of the Fresno ANG aircraft.

Always a good time!

Cool! Can we come hang out with you, or is that in a restricted area? We fly in Thursday night, and will be on-site Friday and Saturday, flying home Sunday. Got reserved seating both days, and pit passes for Friday.

Any helpful hints or suggestions? We're going to take the bus shuttle from Reno to the site, instead of renting a car ($500+ with tax!! YIKES! Renting a car was more than airfare!).

Come on over. We should be there Saturday... flying in fri and back sun.

No real data on other tips. The past few times we've stayed at a friends house about a mile from Stead. Even got to borrow a car from them.

They guys and I are talking about heading out that way this year. Never been, but it's on the list of things that must be done. Any tips - do we need to get tickets/hotels well in advance, or is a month or two sufficient???

They guys and I are talking about heading out that way this year. Never been, but it's on the list of things that must be done. Any tips - do we need to get tickets/hotels well in advance, or is a month or two sufficient???

Tickets? Don't think so... Hotels? would probably be a good idea.

OK, tomorrow's the day--we fly out in advance of Ike to Reno, and fly back (maybe?!) on Sunday when Ike is over the DFW area. Looking forward to meeting Chris at the event, and others that show up. My cell is eight-one-seven, 320, one tree tree six. Call me and we'll meet up somewhere. We'll be onsite Friday and Saturday...

I'm back... WOW, that was a lot of fun!! Nothing like seeing eight warbirds flying 50 feet off the deck, at 475 mph, wingtip to wingtip.

In one of the Sport races on Friday, there were two Maydays during the race, and an additional four Maydays after the final lap but before landing commenced. The chase plane had his hands full. Everyone got down safe.

Oh, and the warbird that started smoking bad, and pulled up and out of the course, calling Mayday... you should have seen all the oil plastered down the side of that bird when they towed him back to the pits.

Rare Bear's pilot almost had to bail out on Saturday, due to a gear malfunction... he was low on fuel after the race, and only one main gear would come down. Not sure why he'd bail rather than try to land with it like that, but he said that he would have bailed if the high-G pull he did as a last-ditch-effort (which WORKED, thank goodness!) hadn't pulled the gear down. He landed with no issues.

No crashes while we were there, though I heard a lady competitor died in early qualifications, before the event opened up.

Definitely something everyone should see!!

Oh, and the F22 demo team did their Freedom flight not only with a Mustang, but also a very special P-38 Lightning... Glacier Girl!

My friend Chris (PT13Flyer) works on the pit crew for Greg Heinze's Pitts S1S- Miss Diane. He called several times and held the phone out so I could hear the unlimited class fly by. I told him that classified as cruel and unusual punishment.I am going next year!!!!!!!

We eagerly await photos (and/or video)!

I have both! I'll try to get some uploaded soon. Aren't you in Scotland right now??

You know... it would really neat to have a group of POA'ers fly out (self, or commercial) to Reno for the races one year. Anybody interested??

No, that's a TERRIBLE idea! Who would be interested in that? :rolleyes: ;)

I'm in! :goofy:

This would make it a POA party! All who want to attend pitch in, and we get our own BOX:

http://www.airrace.org/boxes.php

Box Seat Packages require a minimum of 10 seats. Your Box Seat package includes Pit Passes and VIP parking good for all five days of Race Week [Wednesday through Sunday].

The reserved parking area, located within the main gate, is within easy walking distance of the grandstands, box seating, and pit entrance.

If you wish to bring a cooler stocked with food and beverages, it can be delivered to your box.

And, from their FAQ:

# I want to treat my company or clients to the best all-inclusive Air Race Experience. What tickets should I get?

The Checkered Flag Club provides the best all-inclusive experience for both individuals and groups. CFC members get parking, admission, food and merchandise for one low price for the entire week. The next best option for week-long attendance would be combining Box seating with food from the Chairman’s Hospitality Tent. A box holds up to 15 people, includes reserved parking, pit passes and the option to bring your own cooler of food and drinks. The Chairman’s Hospitality Tent provides a continental breakfast, hot lunch, and open bar.

We eagerley await photos!

Here's two to get you started.

First of all, the F22 Raptor flying alongside a Mustang, and "Glacier Girl", the P-38 Lightning that was freed from 270 feet of ice in Greenland, and restored, flying overhead the stands. I heard them coming, looked up and snapped this shot as they roared overhead.

And, a great picture Teresa snapped (I was filming video) capturing the "photo finish" of the T6 race. Our grandstand seats were right at the home pylon, as you can see.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 13
This would make it a POA party! All who want to attend pitch in, and we get our own BOX:

http://www.airrace.org/boxes.php

Hmmm. Sounds expen$ive:

If you wish to bring a cooler stocked with food and beverages, it can be delivered to your box [delivery charge per box: $100 for the first cooler, $50 for additional coolers].

So, I can bring my own cooler with my own food and drinks, and they'll carry it right to my seat for $100! What a bargain!

If you wish to bring a cooler stocked with food and beverages, it can be delivered to your box [delivery charge per box: $100 for the first cooler, $50 for additional coolers].

So, I can bring my own cooler with my own food and drinks, and they'll carry it right to my seat for $100! What a bargain!
It's between $315 and $330 per person, depending on where the box is located. And the cooler charge only starts on the third cooler. (These are, of course, the prices for this year.)
Box seat purchasers may bring their own coolers which will be delivered to their boxes. Each box purchase includes two free cooler permits. The first additional cooler permit si (sic) $100 per box, and $50 per box for each subsequent cooler for the entire event. For example, if you wish three coolers delivered to your box each day, the total cooler delivery charge would be $100 [the first cooler two coolers are free, plus $100 for the second cooler]. Delivery of four coolers would cost $150. Maximum cooler capacity is 72 quarts [about 20" x 30" x 16"]. Coolers must be dropped off at the box seat holder parking lot upon arrival.

Hmmm. Sounds expen$ive

Could be... but it could also end up being LESS expensive than 15 individual tickets... those aren't cheap either! Would depend on the actual box cost, how many days people were attending, and how many folks made it... (mental gears whirring...)

Back