2005 Super Decathlon at my FBO!

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Received an email from the FBO (MarcAir, 52F) that they just added a second G1000 C172 to the line, and later this month a brand new 2005 Super Decathlon will join the Citabria on the line for taildragger and acrobatic training! Whoo-hoo!! I was scheduled for taildragger endorsement training in the Citabria, but when we sat down and did W&B found that the instructor and I combined didn't leave enough useful load for adequate fuel (I'm 6'2", 260# and decreasing). I'm hopeful the Super Decathlon will have a better useful load.

This FBO has a great policy on the G1000's and the taildraggers--there is no minimum daily rental, so you can take those planes for a weekend trip and only pay what you actually fly.

Troy's brain is thinking: Decathlon, Gastons.... :)

You may be disappointed. A new SuperD will have a useful load of about 450 pounds for acro. However, you can go 150 pounds over that for normal ops, so you can carry a little more fuel to get to the acro area, as long as you burn it off before you start cranking. But I believe you will run into max gross issues on this as well.

How that compares to the Citabria I don't know; depends on what version of the Citabria you have. The best useful load in a Citabria is a metal spar 7ECA, which can carry 630, or more than 500 with enough fuel for a 1 hour lesson, but it climbs rather anemically.

You may be disappointed. A new SuperD will have a useful load of about 450 pounds for acro. However, you can go 150 pounds over that for normal ops, so you can carry a little more fuel to get to the acro area, as long as you burn it off before you start cranking. But I believe you will run into max gross issues on this as well.

That just sucks. This works for two FAA-standard lightweights, but not for "real people". Guess I need an Extra!! :yes:

That just sucks. This works for two FAA-standard lightweights, but not for "real people". Guess I need an Extra!! :yes:
Oh my god, I'm not real?

I'm sick of you big guys being prejudiced against us not-as-big guys! We're people too, you know!:D

Chris

Dealing with Marc just ain't worth it. Not even a Super Decathlon can change that.

Yup, it makes most women not "real people" either.

Ahh, aviation... one of the few sports where small women have the advantage! I'll take that SuperD if it can't carry anyone else... :)

--Kath

Ahh, aviation... one of the few sports where small women have the advantage! I'll take that SuperD if it can't carry anyone else... :)
You'll have to fight me for it! :D

I'm not quite a "real" person either... maybe 2/3 of one. ;)

Hey, Troy, just saw your post. I'm game for some ride sharing to cut costs when we get our checkouts (I can't wait!!!). :yes: :D ;) :p :goofy:

I took my last tailwheel currency with Marc, and he was fantastic to fly with. I expected him to be really picky because he's so strict about the care of the airplanes, but he was relaxed and encouraging. I wish I could handle the airplane as well as he did during wheel landings on asphalt. Complete mastery. He doesn't instruct a lot, but it's worth trying to schedule with him IMO.

Lisa

Hey, Troy, just saw your post. I'm game for some ride sharing to cut costs when we get our checkouts (I can't wait!!!). :yes: :D ;) :p :goofy:

I took my last tailwheel currency with Marc, and he was fantastic to fly with. I expected him to be really picky because he's so strict about the care of the airplanes, but he was relaxed and encouraging. I wish I could handle the airplane as well as he did during wheel landings on asphalt. Complete mastery. He doesn't instruct a lot, but it's worth trying to schedule with him IMO.

Lisa

You're on! Here's some lousy pics I took with my cell phone yesterday. The plane has 15 hours total time on it! Absolutely gorgeous, these pics don't do it justice. The seatbelts/harnesses are BEEFY!

Attachments

• 0217071619.jpg
    0217071619.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 0217071620.jpg
    0217071620.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 0217071621.jpg
    0217071621.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 0217071620b.jpg
    0217071620b.jpg