2005 Flight Hours.

How many hours did you fly this year? (2005)

• Total voters
My uncle and I plan to fly the new year in . . . . anybody else that crazy?

That Be Me Waldo,planning the same flight,tryed last year but Rain stopped me, so i'm hoping to do it this year
Dave G.

Logbook says about 510 this year, but again like Brent, Doug and Greg B, flying pays my rent and keeps me from sitting behind a desk. Fun flying I'm trying to get a few of those under my belt this year...since July, proalby 10hrs of fun flying, either in an Extra, Citabria, Hatz, and 172.

The Jets are fun too but its just not the same.....more fun to fly for myself.

Got a lot more XC time in this year, plus I picked up that Skyhawk at the tail end of '04 and tore it down then built it back.

It, of all planes, reminded me just how much fun flying is--and should be.

Have two more short XC's scheduled before New Year's Day and should finish up this year with just around 260 hours.

-JD

It's just a guess without looking at my logbook, but I'll say about 60.

It would have been higher, but it looked like my wife might be out of work (she ended up OK) so I intentionally reduced my flying to once or twice a month from about January to July.

Ok for those of you that fly in the New Year do you log it on 05 or 06 or do you apportion it?

jangell said:
Just use a column in your log book to keep track of that, works well for me.. Problem is now I don't have a spot for complex time..

Oh well.

I log all time spent with females as "complex".

:rofl:

Cheers,

-Andrew

Pretty close to 600 in the King Air. Right around 40 right now with the Mooney. Hopefully I'll get more in the Mooney in 06.

I logged around 100 hours last year. The two months where the Arrow was in the shop for pre-purchase were the hardest - I couldn't rent a plane because we needed to put the money towards the purchase of our plane. Two months of gorgeous summer weather and I was grounded. :( But I have been trying to make up for it ever since and have gone up in my bird every weekend save one since September.:D

Taylor
1980 Piper Turbo Arrow N8247M

I had 26 HR this year and most of them I did after I bought the plane. So next year with owning a plane and going for my IFR I should be into the 100 HR range I hope.

Bob

I have somewhere around 100 this year. More than I might have expected with my wife training IR, but still not as many as I would like. I did break the magic 300 this year though, my goal for the year. Tailwheel sign off, time in an L39 Albatros (you are only 40 once, I hope:D ), some good actual instrument flights...

All in all a good year aloft. Hopefully even better next year (although I will be competing with the "other" pilot for IFR conditions soon).

Jim G

Richard said:
This is just the latest in a lengthy string of maladies which keeps me grounded. I keeping chugging along hoping for the best.
I feel your pain there Richard. I've been grounded since 2001 due to medical issues myself. :(:(

Last edited:
grattonja said:
All in all a good year aloft. Hopefully even better next year (although I will be competing with the "other" pilot for IFR conditions soon).

Jim G

It's not as bad as you might think. My husband and I worked out an amicable method of one person flies up and one back. We try to alternate who gets to land at the different airports we visit so one person doesn't log only the Loc/DME into our home 'drome.

Plus, it sure is nice having a pilot in the right seat who can read the charts and verify that I am reading them correctly. It's too easy to mistake radials for flight paths and whatnot when your workload is high.

You're a lucky guy to have a flying spouse. They are the best. I know I wouldn't trade mine for anything. :D

Taylor

Taylor said:
It's not as bad as you might think. My husband and I worked out an amicable method of one person flies up and one back. We try to alternate who gets to land at the different airports we visit so one person doesn't log only the Loc/DME into our home 'drome.

Plus, it sure is nice having a pilot in the right seat who can read the charts and verify that I am reading them correctly. It's too easy to mistake radials for flight paths and whatnot when your workload is high.

You're a lucky guy to have a flying spouse. They are the best. I know I wouldn't trade mine for anything. :D

Taylor

Believe me, I'm not complaining. When I see all the folks whose spouses don't support their flying, it makes me realize how lucky I am. I WILL be glad when Janet gets her IR though. All that training is heck on the flying budget:D Of course, she said the same for me in 2004 when I got my rating.

Guess when we both work on commercial and CFI, we will be saying the same again.

I like the "alternating flights" idea. Good way to keep both active and current. And there is no doubt that a knowledgeable right seat pilot is helpful.

Jim G

Hey everyone, Happy New Year!

I haven't been on in a while, and when I saw this poll, I just had to go add up my numbers. Tallied 45.1 hours, which is an improvement for me, as I've been around 25 hrs. the previous couple of years. Usually I was so immersed in work, by the time I noticed the weekend weather might be good, the rentals were all scheduled. That's not a problem anymore :D

What is a problem about adjusting to ownership is where the keys are! I've rented for so long, I am way accustomed to picking up the keys at the counter with the flight bag. So far, I've made it to the airport twice and forgotten to bring the keys! (#*%*&#(@!:lightning:

-Rich

I was a little lower this year, at about 78. But it was all pleasure, including 8 actual IFR working on my rating, and 10 flying around New Zealand. Next year, budget and weather willing, I'm hoping to top 100. That'll put me over the 200 hrs PIC needed for the various Angel flights, though renting an airplane can still make that a little tricky!

And Taylor, I agree, having a spouse flying with you REALLY makes a difference. We too do the trading legs trick. Now we've got to get our CRM fine-tuned!

Last edited:
Hours logged in '05: 689

:blueplane:

Nifty thread. It's interesting to see how everyone has filled up their books.

Back