2002 182T panel upgrade....

fishyfishy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
N52757
With impending ADS-B requirements I am planning for a panel change in my 182T. Currently I have the "stock" Nav2 package KMD540 MFD, KLN-94 GPS, KX165a/KX155a radios, KT76 xpndr, KAP140 AP, KG102a HSI, 2nd Nav VOR head as NAV2.

The gyro bearings that feed the HSI are telling me its rebuild or replace time (some mornings it takes a while to warm up). So as part of this panel upgrade to be ADS-B compliant I was going to HSI head (and gyros and remote compass) and install the Aspen Pro1000EFD along with removing the KLN94, KX155a radio, KT76 xpndr and installing a Garmin 430W, and Garmin 345 xpndr.

I am planning to leave the KMD540 as the MFD. The KMD540 also shows stormscope

I am thinking the Aspen EFD will be the HSI and ADI but I dont understand how all these pieces play together such as if I want to use the 2nd VOR head as primary for an ILS or VOR approach. Will the
KMD540 show situational awareness "stuff" for this scenario. Can the Garmin 430W drive the Aspen and the KMD540?

Unless you’re getting a smoking deal for the 430W and KMD540, why not install a GNS 750? I know the 430W will drive the Aspen fine, but it’s getting long in the tooth and I’d be skeptical of how much longer Garmin will be able to service a downed unit. Same concern with the KMD.

The 430 w is supposed to be around and more supportable than the 530 in the future. Quite a few experimental shave the 430.

I wouldn't get the aspen if you're flying real IFR/IMC with this thing, they have a very dangerous failure mode if you get a pitot blockage of any kind.

Unless you’re getting a smoking deal for the 430W and KMD540, why not install a GNS 750? I know the 430W will drive the Aspen fine, but it’s getting long in the tooth and I’d be skeptical of how much longer Garmin will be able to service a downed unit. Same concern with the KMD.

With way more of the 135 fleet rocking GNS over GTNs, and places like flight safety international training initial and recurrent on GNS configured rigs, I'd say you're still more than safe with the GNS. Also comes down to which interface you prefer, knobs or touch screen, newer isn't always better, I'd play with both before I made a decision.

Not disputing that there’s still a fair chunk of the 430/530 series units out there, but for a new installation for a twenty year old product that may not be supported much longer may end up in a forced upgrade sooner rather than later. Just trying to point out another point of view. Of course, I still have a KNS80/KY196/KX165 so I am weighing all these upgrade options myself.

Back