20 year old photo found on internets

I found this 20 year old photo of myself posted on the internets, strange to think someone took this. I'm the guy in the left seat.

Wow, that's a funny-lookin' bird. The photog was speculating that you were ferrying it to the US... I smell a story! :yes:

It looks like you Arnold:rolleyes: . Seriously thats pretty cool that you found it.

Wow, that's a funny-lookin' bird. The photog was speculating that you were ferrying it to the US... I smell a story! :yes:

It does sort of look like the box other airplanes come in, and after I flew that I flew the Shorts SD-360, another box with wings.

What I liked about the airplane was its tremendous short field capability and its ability to fly slower than a DC-3 (there is another story behind that). It was easy to load freight in and like just about anything, you eventually get used to it. What I did not like was that it was slow in cruise and the control feel was, well let's say not precise.

When we bought the airplanes (the company I was working for bought two of them from a bankrupt airline in Rotterdam) I had a fair amount of multi time but the largest aircraft I had flown was a Navajo and I had zero hours turbine time. The first aircraft was ferried over by a contract pilot who thought it was such a piece of junk that he refused to fly the second one over. So he checked me out in the aircraft - three times around the patch and you're a captain son - and off I went to Holland to bring the airplane home to Plymouth, MA.

Anyway, making a very long story very short, two engine failures, a fuel pump bearing melt down and about two weeks later I arrived back in Boston with the ship. We had no HF or long range nav and DRd from Greenland to Goose Bay. I'm leaving out the single engine drift down from 13000 to 2000 over the North Sea followed by an no radar NDB approach in Denmark which involved altitude loss each time we turned because we had full ferry fuel and were very heavy.

All in all a very satisfying adventure.

Back