$20 hour Cessna 172?

but Rotax doesn't seem to have trouble. Do they have some magic,
Radial engines - pretty much all of the moderate to big stuff used gears. Often quite a few cylinders. Less than abysmal results.
The geared Lycomings - still had the big displacement, long stroke, relatively slow redline to beat up the gears. At low power settings the lumpy torque profile could result in a lot of torque reversals at the gear box banging the gears back and forth through the lash.
Rotax - it idles over 2000 rpm. Cruise around 5000-5500 Small cylinders, short stroke, not pounding the snot out of the gears. They also have clutches to ease sudden loads on the gears and limits on prop weights.

One of the experimental forums has a section just for auto conversions and the $20/hr sounds about right for the HP. There’s a C172 nearby that’s been in a hanger for years after a prop strike just collecting dust and thinking about seeing if they want to sell it.....maybe get a good deal, and put their V8 on it and fly experimental. Their website shows video of a 1969 Skyhawk way out performing a new stock Skyhawk.

I sent them an email about pricing. Their website shows a guy fueling from a car with a 12V pump. I’m not sure my $4.85/gal AVGAS FBO would allow that!

Back