20 fastest speeding tickets in Texas in 2017

Yea it’s easy to go fast on a bike. I almost would’ve been #8 if I got caught and wasn’t in Mexico :biggrin:

I figured most of those would be guys on crotch rockets. Just about all of the liter bikes are capable of 175+ depending on gearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question is: how were they caught?
Back when I was a road officer running radar, I wouldn’t even put it from park to drive when I’d get a readout above 120. My patrol car might of been capable of 140, but it took two miles to reach that speed. By then the speeder was a mile or farther ahead.

I-20 going through Louisiana at night, I was doing 85 when the nation wide 55MPH was still in effect. Radar detector on, several cars in front of me doing close to the same speed, and right behind a bush was one of Louisiana's finest. Radar detector goes off, I am the only car he is targeting, he has me dead to rights.

He never came out after me. I was the luckiest SOB in Louisiana that night......

I also had deactivated the light in my radar detector so it did not light up the inside of the car like a beacon....

Anyone else find it funny that the company that makes the radar also makes the radar detectors..???

Chumps. Not everyone knows I guess. Get it over 200mph and the radar blanks out.
Not getting the recognition I deserve.

:D

I was driving from NJ to MS or AL. Coming across the Chesapeake Bridge and over a rise Maryland troopers had a trap. Pulled every one of us over and issued tickets. Few hours later on I85 in VA and pulled over again, ticketed twice with hours of each other. :dunno:

Back when I was a road officer running radar, I wouldn’t even put it from park to drive when I’d get a readout above 120. My patrol car might of been capable of 140, but it took two miles to reach that speed. By then the speeder was a mile or farther ahead.

I was wondering that as well, but Texas DPS doesn't give up easily.

I was riding with a deputy sheriff friend of mine one night and he clocked a very healthy Mustang doing 140. That guy pulled over as soon as he turned the lights on. At the time anything over 100 was reckless endangerment so no ticket, but an arrest and impound instead. I have heard some places a speeding ticket can be as much as $1200.00 now.

Are airborne speed traps still a thing? It's been a while since I've seen the road edge marked by T's.

I was wondering that as well, but Texas DPS doesn't give up easily.

I was riding with a deputy sheriff friend of mine one night and he clocked a very healthy Mustang doing 140. That guy pulled over as soon as he turned the lights on. At the time anything over 100 was reckless endangerment so no ticket, but an arrest and impound instead. I have heard some places a speeding ticket can be as much as $1200.00 now.
My personal best (for just speeding...I’ve caught people who were going faster during chases) was a cycle at 140. I only caught him because he couldn’t see me in my hiding spot and he exited the freeway within seconds of the radar readout. In Michigan you can write a speeding ticket for any speed, but anything over +35 faster than the speed limit is the same fine. But this guy also had crack cocaine so speeding was the least of his problems.

Darwin nominees.

No exactly, if it's a wide open long stretch of road with little to no traffic, those bikes are quite stable at those speeds.

Frankly the most dangerous riding I've done was at or below the speed limit around office drones, soccer moms, a hybrid drivers.

No exactly, if it's a wide open long stretch of road with little to no traffic, those bikes are quite stable at those speeds.

Here in NM we have long stretches of open road, but those roads also have pot holes, jack rabbits, armadillos, road runners, foxes, coyotes, bears, cows, goats, horses, tumble weeds, free range land and Chupacabra. All have the ability to take down a speeding motorcycle.

Of course they can take down motorcycles doing less than the speed limit, as well as the occasional hybrid car...

Got a buddy that probably would have made that list (per "expert" police analysis) except a station wagon changed lanes in front of him.

The amazing thing is he survived and is doing fine today.

Frankly the most dangerous riding I've done was at or below the speed limit around office drones, soccer moms, a hybrid drivers.

I'm not a rider so I won't argue your first point. Your second point is where I was coming from...about 3/4 of the top 20 are in metro areas.

And anybody doing 150 between SA and Austin on I-35 (#8) is truly nuts.

The dude doing 180 on a CBR was impressive. I could never quite hit that on mine before the limiters kicked in. You ride something that fast it’s hard not to ring it out once in awhile. Dangerous sure, but so is flying little airplanes over hostile terrain, water and whatnot.

I'm not a rider so I won't argue your first point. Your second point is where I was coming from...about 3/4 of the top 20 are in metro areas.

And anybody doing 150 between SA and Austin on I-35 (#8) is truly nuts.

Yes. Any time I'm on I-35 I'm convinced I'm going to die that day regardless. But the guy on the 130 toll I kind of understand. I've been on that road and seen zero traffic either in front or behind me for miles on very straight stretches. My car WANTS to go fast (1986 Mercedes) and I find myself creeping close to 100 without realizing it on that road.

I've been pulled over many times, but amazingly have never received a speeding ticket while on this bike. Of course it helps to ride with friends who are current or retired LEO. They're like riding with a "get out of jail" free card. My personal best was 178 mph on the speedo-healer. Strip the bags and throw somebody on that only weighs 150 lbs. and I'm guessing this bike could have easily broke the 200 mph barrier.

blackbird.jpg

Cops can sometimes radio ahead and have a roadblock waiting.

Like the saying goes, “Even if you can beat their motor, you can’t beat their Motorola.”

There is a Youtube floating around of a motorcycle chase where the motorcycle beats a helicopter.

My personal best was 170 on a GSXR 750. That was on a wide open straight road miles from any traffic. I've had the Connie up to 154 but that's when the speed limiter kicks in. Supposedly they true out to around 170 with the limiter overridden.

Like the saying goes, “Even if you can beat their motor, you can’t beat their Motorola.”
Not in my state...not for a speeder.

When I saw German VW Bugs used as police cars back in the early 70s, I thought man that'd be easy to outrun. Uh uh my friend said, you can't outrun the radio.

195 (according to the speedo) on a seriously modified Intercepter 1100.
I was 16 and indestructible.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Uh uh my friend said, you can't outrun the radio.

180 mph versus nearly the speed of light? My bet's on the radio too.

My personal best was an indicated 185 mph, but it was perfectly legal...C6 Z06 Corvette on an unrestricted, glass-smooth section of the Autobahn. My '12 Mustang GT street/track car (stock Coyote V-8, modified suspension, Potenza RE-71S tires) hits about 140 mph on the "Roval" at Auto Club Speedway before Turn 1 on the banking. Wheeee! :)

DSC_1881.jpg

Yeah I believe ya about the autobahn. When I was there in early 70s we'd see a Ferrari or such go flying by occasionally. And I do mean flying, especially when you're maxed out in a VW bug lol.

Last edited:
Yeah I believe ya about the autobahn. When I was there in early 70s we see a Ferrari or such go flying by occasionally. And I do mean flying, especially when you're maxed out in a VW bug lol.

Gotta love drivers staying to the right and actually yielding to faster traffic! But it makes driving in the States all the more frustrating.

Gotta love drivers staying to the right and actually yielding to faster traffic! But it makes driving in the States all the more frustrating.

In Germany you could be ticketed for hanging out in the left lane on the Autobahn from what I recall.

Click the first link. It’s ad laden garbage but links to the Houston Chronicle site so I click that.

It’s a clickbait site where you have to click through a picture per line of the article.

Okay screw that. When what’s left of the already dead newspapers that have turned into that die, hopefully painfully and slow, I won’t shed a tear.

What I want to know is why the hell someone bought a white Corvette.

Personal best around 165 in a 55 at night in my ‘82 Jaguar XJ-S. It wanted to go fast and I was racing a Mustang. I’ve owned cars that could go faster but I don’t care to stretch their legs that much, that’s why I fly airplanes.

Best I ever did was 140 in a 55 on my Yamaha Raider. That's moving along for V-twin cruiser. Didn't get caught though. Man, I miss that bike.

Best I ever did was 140 in a 55 on my Yamaha Raider. That's moving along for V-twin cruiser. Didn't get caught though. Man, I miss that bike.

I think the most I ever got out of my ‘88 300ZX was 143 in a 45. Took a while to get that last 10mph with only 205HP, lol. It probably had another 5mph left in it, but I was pressing my luck on a 5-mile stretch of 2-lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

153 is my highest so far. It’s getting tuned in the next week or two, so I know I’d be able to top the list with enough room. I wish we had top speed events in the area

Hmmm, I’ve only had the Camero up to 95 or so. It’ll go faster, I mostly won’t. What it does really nicely is get to 90 very quickly...

Are airborne speed traps still a thing? It's been a while since I've seen the road edge marked by T's.

Speeding enforcement is about money, not safety. States like VA looked at cash taken in vs. expenses of airborne enforcement and did away with it. You still need troopers on the ground to stop the speeder, add to that the opex of a 2-crew aircraft and it is hard to make money.
Much easier to put up red light cameras and automated speed traps.

Back