-20 DEGREE'S

Samuroot1987

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Samuroot2801
That was the low here in Klamath. Klamath Falls, Colder than Alaska!®™

Pretty cold. We saw snow in Rocklin (next to Sacramento) yesterday and that never happens. The lows last night were around 27.

That was the low here in Klamath. Klamath Falls, Colder than Alaska!®™

It was 14 degrees in northern puget sound last night, That is the coldest it has been in 15 years.

Ya'll can hang on to that stuff up there. 74 here in Atlanta last week. :)

80+ here right now.

We got down into the teens around Thanksgiving, but it's been a heat wave ever since.

Probably setting ourselves up for a horrible Jan/Feb.

Denver news media was all a-twitter that we were 10F colder than the North Pole Station a couple days ago.

Tuesday will be downright balmy. Heh. It's warning up now.

Old screenshot.
2apate9y.jpg

Tonight's.
vanerury.jpg

Had an outside wall sink give me a scare today. Turned faucet on, nothing. A week below 20F and numerous close to -10F nights in a row and something finally froze. Crap. Cabinet doors were open, room was warm, measured temp of the area behind the cabinet where the pipes dive into the outside wall was 67F.

That wall is the only place the basement wall is above ground and there's an outdoor spigot covered by an insulating cover just past that bathroom. I suspect the feed line to that slowly froze backward past the bathroom sink. Toilet in that bathroom was flowing when the sink stopped.

Late afternoon sun may have warmed the outside spigot enough to thaw. Maybe we will still have a gusher in that leg or the spigot itself once outdoor temps reach 32 or higher on Wed. May have to tear behind that sink to see what the insulation is like on the spigot feed wall or install a winter shutoff indoors for that one. Wall outside is painted white. Doesn't help any.

I figured for sure that in a day or so I'd be dealing with a cracked/burst pipe in the feed to the bathroom. Luckily it started flowing tonight. Been trying to figure out where it routes so I can figure out where it got cold. Luckily it appears to have thawed gently this time. Annoying. We'll see. Definitely need to find the cold spot and come up with a better setup there. Can't cheat and heat-tape under the sink and have it conduct over to the outside spigot like an older house with copper, since it's plastic pipe. I think the above ground concrete just got cold enough it got through the insulation to the pipe.

May have to create a way for indoor air to reach in there from under the bathroom sink and stick a fan under there to circulate air into that space. Meanwhile, that sink is now set to run a trickle of water.

Wonder if I could rig up a way to heat a box around that spigot? There's an outside electrical outlet near it. Hmmm. Light bulb in a wooden box cover? Hmm. Thinking.

It was 80 here on the island Thursday -- and 37 last night. Quite a shock!

Global warming!

It's colder now in Dec, normally weather we do not see until Feb.
Had to clear frost of the gliders this morning before flying.

Global warming!

A favorite reaction among those who choose to equate short term weather patterns with long term weather patterns. Or maybe you're just joking. ;)

Light snow,rain low to mid 30s not that bad over all. That's in mass. Can't wait to get back to FLA. In Jan.

I'm not looking forward to flying into CYQR for Christmas on the 20th...well, I'm looking forward to seeing the family, just not the weather!

Current METAR:
CYQR 091300Z 18007KT 15SM FEW160 M30/M33 A2980 RMK AC2 SLP161

Although on the bright side, with a field elevation of 1,900', the DA is -3,332'

Last edited:
A favorite reaction among those who choose to equate short term weather patterns with long term weather patterns. Or maybe you're just joking. ;)

global-warming.jpg

I took off in -27F about 2 years ago. Was Coooooooooolllld. But man the climb performance of my Cherokee. With the heater in my Cherokee, I was warm from the ankles down.

31 degrees in Seattle on Saturday. I went flying, of course.

Ron Wanttaja

I took off in -27F about 2 years ago. Was Coooooooooolllld. But man the climb performance of my Cherokee. With the heater in my Cherokee, I was warm from the ankles down.
:rofl:

In the Cessna 120 I used to fly, the heater would get the bottom of your shoes so hot you couldn't stand to use the rudder pedals without having any noticeable effect on the temperature above the knees.

I don't have that problem in my current ride - it has no heater at all. But the other day, I was off the ground at about 200 feet and at pattern altitude by the time I got to the other end of the (4424 foot) runway...

Back