2 students in the plane?

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Has anyone heard about the FAA discouraging multiple students from being in the plane at once? I always thought that it was helpful to have one student in front receiving instruction and another other in back watching things, but I've recently heard that our local FSDO is apparently discouraging it. It may just be a rumor that got out of hand, though. Anyone else hear anything like this?

Has anyone heard about the FAA discouraging multiple students from being in the plane at once? I always thought that it was helpful to have one student in front receiving instruction and another other in back watching things, but I've recently heard that our local FSDO is apparently discouraging it. It may just be a rumor that got out of hand, though. Anyone else hear anything like this?

I heard the exact opposite at our local FSDO...

May be a rumor?

I heard the exact opposite at our local FSDO...

May be a rumor?
It may be. Unfortunately, my FBO is using it as the rationale behind limiting one student to a plane. I've left a message for the FSDO asking for verification or refutation.

It may be. Unfortunately, my FBO is using it as the rationale behind limiting one student to a plane. I've left a message for the FSDO asking for verification or refutation.
I've never heard of an FAA position one way or the other. There is no regulatory prohibition of an instructional flight carrying passengers (or observers).

Be prepared to call their insurance company next.

Joe

Not heard of it, and it's illogical to good teaching too. Could be a billing ploy.

Well, apparently there are mixed signals from the FSDO. The guy I talked to said "no problem, as long as you're in W&B. It's done all the time." Another guy apparently told the GM that it could be considered a part 135 op:hairraise:. I don't see how that could be the case, personally. Now that I have the name of the person who said it's not allowable, I'll call back. Maybe we'll find that there was some misunderstanding of the circumstances.

How is it a 135 op if the person in the back seat isn't paying for it?

I think it's still the case that the local tech school here REQUIRES students to pair up as "flight partners," and most if not all flights will have a student observer in the back.

BTW-- Funny video! :)

Back