2 planes down within 5 miles So Cal

Luvrv8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KCMA flyer
News is showing a plane down in Calabassas, video shows it burnt to the ground, fire crews said no one could have lived, another plane down 5 miles NW in Westlake, about 15 miles east of KCMA and 15 SW of KVNY, landed hard on a golf coarse but its being reported as minor injury. Fire dept said they don't know if the two are related.

Glad I moved...sounds like Gov Moonbeam has taxed folks so much that planes are falling from the sky.

"they told people that the plane hit a bird. . . "

Absent hitting the bird in the windscreen, or a really large sea bird, I"m not seeing a bird taking down even a 172 - unless the bird was a low wing airplane.

My wife refers to my plane as a f$$-$$-$g bird. NBC reports "it was sort of a mid air". I guess it's like being sort of pregnant. The news is showing better pictures, the 172 looks like it took a big hit at the left cabin at the wing root.

Last edited:
"they told people that the plane hit a bird. . . "

Absent hitting the bird in the windscreen, or a really large sea bird, I"m not seeing a bird taking down even a 172 - unless the bird was a low wing airplane.

Even a Canada goose? A couple of those took down an A320. And the windscreen was popped out.

That's also turkey vulture and condor territory. Lots of big birds around there.

I don't see any bird guts, though.

Even a Canada goose? A couple of those took down an A320. And the windscreen was popped out.

That's also turkey vulture and condor territory. Lots of big birds around there.

I don't see any bird guts, though.

Other than getting tangled in the windscreen and knocking someone out or worse? That why you need to tips of your props painted white! - Like the squiggles on jet intake fans. Take a big dent out of the wing. I took out a Gull at Oceana in 2007 in my Viking. Thankfully the big wood wing doesn't dent.

Waiting for NTSB to pull the ATC tapes -

From the damage to the 172 at the top of the windscreen and wing root, and take in account of another plane with a emergency off field landing with 5 miles and 1 minute I am pretty sure they were related.

One thing I hate about the reporting is as we all know the media makes it out worse then it is. I just saw a preview of the 11 o'clock news here on NBC and the reporter says "terror in the sky's". What really bothers me about this is the news anchor who said it is a pilot himself and the co anchor is married to a high time rotor pilot.

Clearly speculation on my point but the other plane is being reported as a 172 from Santa Monica on a test flight. American Flyers is known to test fly their planes from KSMO to KCMA. We do know the 172rg was a American flyers plane.

Last edited:
One thing I hate about the reporting is as we all know the media makes it out worse then it is. I just saw a preview of the 11 o'clock news here on NBC and the reporter says "terror in the sky's". What really bothers me about this is the news anchor who said it is a pilot himself and the co anchor is married to a hi time rotor pilot.

Yeah... But it is in California...;)

I guess if I don't die in my plane it will be by a earthquake or a wildfire according to the media.

One report listed a "fixed wing Cessna" :dunno: Gotta love the media-- "Hey toss in some random aviation terms so we sound authoritative"

Just running on raw data like the rest but it does sound like a midair.

One thing I hate about the reporting is as we all know the media makes it out worse then it is. I just saw a preview of the 11 o'clock news here on NBC and the reporter says "terror in the sky's". What really bothers me about this is the news anchor who said it is a pilot himself and the co anchor is married to a high time rotor pilot.
- - - and sloppy writing, too, on someone's part. "terror in the sky's" what? Sky's indicates possession of something. More than one sky would be skies.
Also, "who said it is a pilot himself" doesn't make sense. ??

Glad I moved...sounds like Gov Moonbeam has taxed folks so much that planes are falling from the sky.

It's not Governor Moonbeam who taxed us - it's we voters who voted in the tax increase.

What doesn't make sense about "the news anchor who said it is a pilot himself"? :confused:

It does not make a differance. If someone on their computer wants to bash others on grammar I am glad to be a target. I must have spent too much time on hobbies and not enough time in school to be perfect. I somehow became retired at 43 and live a good life without perfect grammar.

News is showing a plane down in Calabassas, video shows it burnt to the ground, fire crews said no one could have lived, another plane down 5 miles NW in Westlake, about 15 miles east of KCMA and 15 SW of KVNY, landed hard on a golf coarse but its being reported as minor injury. Fire dept said they don't know if the two are related.

Don't worry about the grammar. I'm just trying to work out 15 East of CMA and 15 SW of VNY.

Those radials don't cross...at all!

One report listed a "fixed wing Cessna" :dunno: Gotta love the media-- "Hey toss in some random aviation terms so we sound authoritative"

Just running on raw data like the rest but it does sound like a midair.

Cessna made helicopters... Long long ago. ;)

Don't worry about the grammar. I'm just trying to work out 15 East of CMA and 15 SW of VNY.

Don't know what to tell you, I just checked with foreflight and it works for me.

Was watching ABC last night local and they said that they called American Flyers and they denied it was their airplane. . . . and the other involved aircraft was in the process of being sold it appeared -

plus there is a report that the woman who is the Estate Rep for the plane that crashed and burned said that there were 2 people in the airplane - but they only found one body . . . .

Now, not sure whats up but NTSB is on scene this am - and who knows there the reporting will be this afternoon -

Sure they do - It's just NW of Malibu.....or are you looking at True bearings and not Magnetic?

ForeFlight doesn't show CMA north of VNY?

CMA is west of VNY Duh!:lol:

LIB. Never ceases to amaze me how east west the shoreline gets around LA. I would have sworne CMA was NW of VNY. If I had to guess I would have said about a 330 radial.

Sorry, my bad.

It's about a 259 heading KCMA to KVNY. Camarillo is on the Oxnard Plain, we are kind of on a peninsula, it's deceiving. If I fly what I think is North I would fly to Santa Barbra, if I fly North by the compass it actually points me towards Bakersfield.

It's about a 259 heading KCMA to KVNY. Camarillo is on the Oxnard Plain, we are kind of on a peninsula, it's deceiving. If I fly what I think is North I would fly to Santa Barbra, if I fly North by the compass it actually points me towards Bakersfield.

Maybe if you fly backwards! Even I know that...

:)

Your right. I was thing of the VOR approach into CMA I get and usually around KVNY they have me fly that heading to intercept the vor approach. I just didn't flip it around in my head, my bad.

It's about a 259 heading KVNY to KCMA.

[fixed that for ya]

With a 14 degree West magnetic variation. Right about 273.

A/FD shows CMA as being 34.21N and VNY being 34.21N. Remembering the Earth is a spheroid [for the purists out there] it is right around due west but flying there the great circle route is a little bit north of west - about 0.17 degrees!

When my friend went to UCSB I told him that from about Oct 15-Feb the sun rises and sets over the ocean and he thought I was nuts. But there is it. Rise and Set over the ocean from Santa Barbara west to Lompoc.

Its like asking people where there Mississippi River flows east west - and people look at you like you're crazy but there is a 50 mile or so stretch clearly visible on most maps and even from space .. . .

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I have 15 month old twins and after a year they decide they only want to sleep 4 hours at a time, not at the same time. Since my wife works and I am retired I get the night shift and most of the day too. I am just a bit burned out. This is why I have not seen my plane for 2 months now.

I am curious (and I say this with zero second-guessing of the 172RG pilot, as I wasn't there, and applaud his outcome) why they landed gear-up in a golf course. It seems if they thought it was only a bird they had hit, that they'd have been emboldened to continue to an airport and land normally.

It would seem the aircraft wasn't flying very well....

A 172RG isn't a very powerful aircraft, and I wonder if it didn't have sufficient power to maintain altitude with all the new parasitic drag, and loaded to gross.

It might have been leaking fuel given where the damage was.

And a distraction could very easily cause the gear to be missed, even with that annoying gear warning at 12 inches throttle or 20 deg flap. It's hard to imagine a bigger distraction than a midair....

Huge distraction to say the least. Or the gear may not have done anything upon an attempt. I'm still trying to figure out what part of the other a/c they came in contact with. Is this the golf course accident a/c?

http://airflightdisaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/cessnawestlake.jpg

If so, was it a stabilizer/gear/wing tip they hit? guess if the two were banked a little opposite of each other, the wing tip of the other could have struck at that point without going into the fuse or taking the strut off.. Wouldn't think much of the tip hit though or wouldn't it have sliced right through the wing root? Very fortunate for anyone to be able to come out indeed.

Ok... is it possible he/she was overtaking the other a/c while flying straight and level or banking left and the other a/c was turning right? That could explain both the angle involving left leading edge damage and windscreen damage as well as the relative slow closing potential that didn't shear off the wing at the root. Just an idea.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Back