2 pilots, 1 plane...

I am confused. Here is a section from the AOPA web page:

When practicing flying in simulated instrument conditions with a safety pilot, both the pilot flying the aircraft by reference to instruments and the safety pilot may log PIC time if the safety pilot is acting as PIC. As long as the pilot flying the aircraft is rated for the aircraft being flown, he/she may log this time as PIC because he/she is sole manipulator of the controls (FAR 61.51). Because the pilot flying will be wearing a view-limiting device, a safety pilot will be a required crewmember on board (FAR 91.109). The safety pilot may log as PIC any flight time for which he/she is acting PIC in an operation requiring more than one pilot crew member (FAR 61.51).

http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources...Report-Logging-Pilot-in-Command-PIC-Time.aspx
That's exactly what I said.

Simply put two people can log PIC at the same time in a 172. Their logs will in no way indicate what they were doing (looking out the window) just that it was PIC time. My log doesn't have a column for safety pilot.
It may not have a "safety pilot" column, but I'm pretty sure it does have a column for SIC time, and when acting as a safety pilot but not acting as the PIC, the Chief Counsel says the SIC column is where you put the time. Further, it's clear from the post which restarted this discussion that he was not repeat not acting as PIC for the flight. As such, he very correctly logged his stick time as PIC time and the time he was acting only as a safety pilot as SIC time.

It may not have a "safety pilot" column, but I'm pretty sure it does have a column for SIC time, and when acting as a safety pilot but not acting as the PIC, the Chief Counsel says the SIC column is where you put the time. Further, it's clear from the post which restarted this discussion that he was not repeat not acting as PIC for the flight. As such, he very correctly logged his stick time as PIC time and the time he was acting only as a safety pilot as SIC time.

Forgetting the OP's situation. Two people trying to build time can fly around VFR in a 172, one with a hood on, both logging PIC legally right?

Building time? Any pilots out there who would like to share the cost of the airplane? I am from Greenville ,SC

I read his post.

:confused: Ok, I give up, point it out:
Time building question, get your minds out of the gutter. So there are two pilots, both seeking their instrument rating, and both interested in overall time building as well. One is new to instrument training, the other about half way through. One pilot owns an airplane. Is there a practical and economical way for both pilots to coordinate and make use of that airplane in a way that advances both of their goals of building time, whether that's overall PIC hours or towards their IR requirements? Flight time would be significantly cheaper in that aircraft than a rental, especially if costs are split. I guess I'm thinking of this notion of one or both pilots (switching off) acting as safety pilot for the other but am unclear whether that's even possible or appropriate for two pilots at this stage in their training. But I feel like I'm missing something. If there's a good way to build time with another pilot in this scenario in a way that is both useful and safe, then I'm all ears. Thanks!
:dunno:

Back