2 off-airport incidents a town apart this weekend

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Everyone safe in both cases :)

Mooney:
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/05/01/small-plane-crash-lands-in-plano-backyard-pilot-unhurt/

plano-aircraft-crash.jpg

Grumman:
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/04/30/...-landing-outside-apartments-in-grand-prairie/

screen-shot-2016-04-30-at-4-09-20-pm-e1462050665537.png

Good to see no serious injuries,doesn't look like damage to the Gruman.

He was at the a Pecan Plantation Flyin last weekend
Nice airplane and apparently a darn good pilot. No damage and walks away.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 51
Heluva way to try and get winglets on a Mooney.

The right wing is on the ground, really makes the dihedral look pretty steep.

The good thing is that everyone got out alright.

Based on the height of the people in the picture, and factoring in the bent metal, it looks like four feet or more. Divide that in half and it comes out at 24" or more per wing. That's some serious honkin' dihedral. Turn and bank with rudder only!

Based on the height of the people in the picture, and factoring in the bent metal, it looks like four feet or more. Divide that in half and it comes out at 24" or more per wing. That's some serious honkin' dihedral. Turn and bank with rudder only!

That's pretty close. Wing root leading edge is just above my knee, wing tip is mid-chest. I'm six feet tall in my shoes, just under barefooted. I use rudder-only for slight course adjustments, like crosswind corrections when holding and on ILS approaches.

From the POH for the J

ed5648a165c285a9e410e9b4deb8df68.jpg

Well done on that AA1 landing!

Wow, amazing that they did this, and without parachutes! Good landings are ones you can walk away from.

That pseudo-Navy paint job they did on that AA1 makes me think of the Village People.

I suppose it's not entirely his fault, the factory started that themselves.
SavanahGaTimesP1.jpg

Glad that the cheap fence and sturdy tree were there to slow the Mooney down before it had a chance to enter the residence. Whew!
And the Grumman pilot had a lot of luck for sure finding such empty space to set her down. Another whew!
Thanks for the double good news.

What? No school busses packed with nuns and pilots incapacitated by minor medical issues?!

Surely this all can't be true. I read about this stuff in USA Today!

;)

The occasional landing incident at Air Park is never surprising.

It's a challenging airport simply because of all the distractions on approach. You have to fly over a golf course and big shopping center, cross a very busy six lane road and then over the boundary fence.

You don't want to carry a bit of extra speed, because you have to set it down right on the money. You're rewarded by a bumpy roll-out on a 35' wide pockmarked and loose 'paved' runway.

But it has that certain small airport charm... ;)

Last edited:
I landed there once. Couldn't see the damned thing. Talking to KADS and they are all "you are flying over it now" "okay, you've just passed it" I finally went with "I'm just going to circle in this spot until I see it." I finally found it. Still when I'm inn that area,I look for it and rarely can pick it out.

Back