2 Killed in Crash at Joliet

I hate these pharging necroposts. I always get dragged in until I see a post by Kenny or Matt or someone.

If you click on the little blue box with the checkmark to the next of the thread title, it'll take you to the first new post in the thread - Then you'll skip over all the old stuff automatically. :yes:

If you click on the little blue box with the checkmark to the next of the thread title, it'll take you to the first new post in the thread - Then you'll skip over all the old stuff automatically. :yes:
Unfortunately, I haven't found that always to be true on the smartphone, so I need to scroll to the bottom.

Well, since I went and dug this thread up to answer another thread, I thought I'd add a link to the NTSB report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20090102X02015&key=1

After landing, the pilot made numerous attempts to locate fuel in order to continue the flight so that his passenger could be at work in the morning. The pilot left a note and money after having siphoned fuel from another airplane parked at the airport

That's some serious getthereitis. :sad:

That's some serious getthereitis. :sad:
And some douchbaggery too

On January 2, 2009, a note and money were found inside a Cessna 172 belonging to the fixed base operator at JOT. The note read, u201CWe were stuck and needed 5 gal of 100LL from your left wing tank. Here is $30. Thanks.u201D When the Cessna was fueled after the note was found, it was determined that there were 21.1 gallons of fuel missing."
http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=56819

This is interesting. I recall hearing of another accident at KJOT where an experimental (an RV?) stopped for fuel, only to find that the FBO was closed Someone at the airport offered to let him siphon a few gallons so he could get to KLOT, only about 5NM north. He declined, took off, and crashed for lack of fuel. He perished in the crash.

Looks as if you're damned if you do, damned if you don't! :(

In the instant case, however, there are so many potentially contributing factors that it's hard to pin it on any one or two. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

I think the idea of paying $30 for 21 gallons, while stating one only took 5 gals and without also leaving a number to contact you at to pay the rest of the money is the part that was being a douchebag.

Douchbag might fit in this case. I prefer to think Karma was flying that plane into the ground. When you dance with the devil expect to get burned. Those two danced and were incinerated. :sad: :rolleyes2:.

Ps, There is a good chance frost on the wing of a very slippery plane didn't help in the lift dept either. :dunno:

I've never been convinced that the allegedly missing gallonage issue was anything more than he-said-she-said. Too many other variables in play.

I think the idea of paying $30 for 21 gallons, while stating one only took 5 gals and without also leaving a number to contact you at to pay the rest of the money is the part that was being a douchebag.

Ps, There is a good chance frost on the wing of a very slippery plane didn't help in the lift dept either. :dunno:

Was thinking that, too. Those airplanes have very hot wings. Bad idea to expose to anything that will change the airflow characteristics.

Major get-there-itis. I can't figure out why you'd do that. A trip that long should've had a planned fuel stop somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, I wasn't addressing the douchebag part; just the getting fuel or not getting fuel. Heck, for all I know he incorrectly estimated that he had only taken 5 gallons (siphoned directly from one tank to the other without going through an intermediate container) and that's why he was over gross! He left a tail number, which should be enough to contact him for the difference (if he were still alive). Let's not forget that people died here.

I think a lot of us think that, "I'm in a hurry, so my needs take priority and ethics don't count now..." is pretty douchy.....

I think a lot of us think that, "I'm in a hurry, so my needs take priority and ethics don't count now..." is pretty douchy.....

+1. I can't imagine siphoning fuel from another aircraft unless a life depended on it. Getting to work in time the next morning is not that important.

It's pretty epidemic, this "me, me, me" thing.

A couple of years ago, while I was sitting at a light, I was lightly rear-ended by a 17-year-old kid. She bumped me because she'd been not-so-lightly rear-ended by a madwoman driving an SUV who was unable to skid to a stop in time. After causing a three-car accident, the woman in the SUV leaned on her horn, screamed at us to get out of her way, and attempted to leave the scene. The police took exception.

Why was she in such a hurry? Was she a firefighter on the way to put out a blaze? A surgeon on her way to save a life? An astrophysicist on her way to save the world from an imminent asteroid hit?

No.

She was late picking up her little darling from daycare.

It really makes you wonder.

-Rich

Back