2 DWI's When a teen, Can I still get a PPL

JustWannaFly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Vermonter
Hi all,
I got a DWI when I was 17 and again when I was 19:mad2: I lived in a rural part of the state and did not understand nor have the maturity to understand how dangerous Drinking and Driving was although that is not an excuse. I am now 32 yrs old and wow if I could go back in time just to kick myself in the ass and say smarten up this is how you need to act and live for your future I would do it in a heart beat. My first DWI was in 1997 and second in 1999. It has been 14 yrs since the last. I no longer drink in excess nor drive at all after I have had even 1 beer. My driving record is almost spotless since then with the exception of a couple of parking tickets (meter ran out). I have had a steady job for almost a decade now.
I love to fly. My uncle who was in the Airforce use to take my bother and me flying quit a bit out of a small local airport when I was younger and I have flown in commercial airplanes a lot in my travel since I was about 22 and loved every second I was in the air. Flying is something I have dreamed about for many years. Now that I am a settled man with the financial capability to do Flight Training my question is this:

With my Background of 2 DWI's from when I was a teen is there any chance I can get my Private Pilots License??

Any Feedback is appreciated - Thanks

Hi all,
I got a DWI when I was 17 and again when I was 19:mad2: I lived in a rural part of the state and did not understand nor have the maturity to understand how dangerous Drinking and Driving was although that is not an excuse. I am now 32 yrs old and wow if I could go back in time just to kick myself in the ass and say smarten up this is how you need to act and live for your future I would do it in a heart beat. My first DWI was in 1997 and second in 1999. It has been 14 yrs since the last. I no longer drink in excess nor drive at all after I have had even 1 beer. My driving record is almost spotless since then with the exception of a couple of parking tickets (meter ran out). I have had a steady job for almost a decade now.
I love to fly. My uncle who was in the Airforce use to take my bother and me flying quit a bit out of a small local airport when I was younger and I have flown in commercial airplanes a lot in my travel since I was about 22 and loved every second I was in the air. Flying is something I have dreamed about for many years. Now that I am a settled man with the financial capability to do Flight Training my question is this:

With my Background of 2 DWI's from when I was a teen is there any chance I can get my Private Pilots License??

Any Feedback is appreciated - Thanks

First post..... Welcome to POA..:yes::cheers:...

As for your 2 DUI's.. Find a good Dr that knows how to navigate the FAA's requirements...

My guess is that with those more than 10 years in the past, it's possible, but with two of them back there, it will still be expensive and difficult to go through the process. Bruce Chien will be along later with the complete, reliable, and accurate answer.

BTW, parking tickets don't matter, so at least that's one small worry put aside.

Back