2 door low wings (yep another what plane for me thread)

Congrats, 6PC. I noticed you got quiet after your first post on Commanders Owners Group, so I guessed something was up.

I still love the commander but I am just along for the ride on this decision.

When I pull the trigger it will be on an "Old planes with Duct tape" forum where I will remain active until the time when the tape comes off and then I request a small memorial page where people can make wiener jokes.

If you think the drag chute is only for "short fields," you must think anything under 10,000 feet is short, that being the minimum for an intentional no-chute landing in the F-4. ;) You'll have to ask someone who flew Buffs about the rules for them.

BTW, the chute was also part of the F-4 spin recovery procedure:

Stick - Full forward
Ailerons - Full with spin (turn needle)
If not recovered, maintain full forward stick and deploy drag chute
Aircraft unloaded - Ailerons neutral

Nearly 35 years since my last F-4 flight, and I still remember that boldface. Just don't remember if jettisoning the chute was part of any succeeding non-boldface steps. :dunno:

Sorry to drift this thread, but was the Phantom tough to fly with a constant chubbie? :D. They are the baddest of the bad ass airplanes out there.

I knew I wanted to be a pilot when my dad took me to see the Blue Angels when they performed in their F-4s at the Glenview Naval Air Station in the late 1960s or early 1970s. "Loud" can't even describe it.

I am a huge fan of thread drift.
And also F4 Phantoms. They just look mean.

If you think the drag chute is only for "short fields," you must think anything under 10,000 feet is short, that being the minimum for an intentional no-chute landing in the F-4. ;) You'll have to ask someone who flew Buffs about the rules for them.

BTW, the chute was also part of the F-4 spin recovery procedure:

Stick - Full forward
Ailerons - Full with spin (turn needle)
If not recovered, maintain full forward stick and deploy drag chute
Aircraft unloaded - Ailerons neutral

Nearly 35 years since my last F-4 flight, and I still remember that boldface. Just don't remember if jettisoning the chute was part of any succeeding non-boldface steps. :dunno:

(sarcasm) Perhaps that was added after Randall "Duke" Cunningham spun one in combat in Vietnam.

(sarcasm) Perhaps that was added after Randall "Duke" Cunningham spun one in combat in Vietnam.
I doubt he actually got into a fully developed spin -- takes over 10,000 feet to recover plus the altitude lost during spin development, and that's a maneuver they didn't even do in F-4 type training. However, Ol' Double-Ugly was capable of some wild gyrations with pretty crazy yaw diversions if it went out of controlled flight.

Oh... dad reserved "Seven Papa Charlie" to re-register the plane.
That's great!

Nice plane. Those first gen SR22's typically have a great useful load.

They're starting to become a good value too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I know is I'm getting a flight.:D

Absolutely.

I kept telling my dad I know a guy with an empty space in his hanger who would probably let us stay there if we just take him up from time up time :)

Nice Set of wings!

What's the device to the right of the ignition switch? XM Audio?

Nice Set of wings!

What's the device to the right of the ignition switch? XM Audio?

Yup
I can't imagine flying w/ the radio but I hope there is a way pax can listen to it while I am on a different bus so they have the option w/o interference from me / atc

Interesting fact: hanger fee is going up $100/month because it has a larger wingspan. Even though it does not decrease the number of planes that fit in the hangar. (hangar is already at capacity). That seems a little dicey to me.

Yup
I can't imagine flying w/ the radio but I hope there is a way pax can listen to it while I am on a different bus so they have the option w/o interference from me / atc

You're good to go with that GMA 340.

You can just push "pilot" on the ics isolation and you will hear ATC. The co-pilot and all the passengers can be listening to the auxiliary music input without interruption from your radio communications.

If you want to isolate just the two front seats, but have the backseaters listening to the music, push "Crew".

Last week I flew down to Florida with the Pilot isolation on so my gf could listen to music without being interrupted by ATC. After 45 minutes or so I decided to turn the isolation off so I could tell her we would be on the ground soon. Kinda forgot she was listening to music and I about jumped out of my seat when I was blasted with "Turn down for what" at max volume

Seems a bit silly to me to buy a 6 pack Cirrus.

Still a great panel, way better than anything I usually fly. Dual 430's, stormscope, big MFD, engine analyzer, traffic, 55x A/P...

The Sandel is a pretty nice unit but if it ever has any issues I would use that as an excuse to throw an aspen in there :)

Still a great panel, way better than anything I usually fly. Dual 430's, stormscope, big MFD, engine analyzer, traffic, 55x A/P...

The Sandel is a pretty nice unit but if it ever has any issues I would use that as an excuse to throw an aspen in there :)

I prefer the steam guages in front of me. We looked at both and for better or worse we both agreed on some reasons that for this particular transition, having those in front of us is a good idea.

The current plan is to upgrade to a newer plane in 2-3 years which I suspect will have more glass in it. I am not big on glass at this point. I probably will be after flying this for a bit.

I prefer the steam guages in front of me. We looked at both and for better or worse we both agreed on some reasons that for this particular transition, having those in front of us is a good idea.

The current plan is to upgrade to a newer plane in 2-3 years which I suspect will have more glass in it. I am not big on glass at this point. I probably will be after flying this for a bit.

That panel is pretty cool. It is almost the best of both worlds. You have the great looking steam gauges on the left and the high tech MFD on the right.

Interesting fact: hanger fee is going up $100/month because it has a larger wingspan. Even though it does not decrease the number of planes that fit in the hangar. (hangar is already at capacity). That seems a little dicey to me.

It's aviation economics. Perception: Cirrus owners can afford more than a Socata owner. Wait until you have a twin, turbine, or jet. :yikes:

$100 a month more? Wow.... Tell 7PC he needs to go talk to Nebrig and get on their list. You just crossed into their rental rate zone.

Or get him to talk with Quentin Hicks and get on the list for the City hangars once they complete construction.

It's aviation economics. Perception: Cirrus owners can afford more than a Socata owner. Wait until you have a twin, turbine, or jet. :yikes:

What was the rental quote when you, me, and rdebault were looking back in 2011?

Well, this is the one.

We pick it up on the 1st. It is on the lower end for the brand. For us it is a huge step. My dad and I have spent the last 3 weeks talking about learning how to use this machine together and I am beside myself with the awareness of how fortunate I am that we get to do this.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/CIRRUS-SR22/2001-CIRRUS-SR22/1346089.htm

For future reference, paste in what you link when you link it. The info is gone!

You can do this in 10 months or so when you buy your Grummen! :wink2:

I'm doing research because I am feeling the itch...

For future reference, paste in what you link when you link it. The info is gone!

Oh yeah?
What are you looking at?

Them itches get expensive......

But the feeling of having the ONLY key to your own plane is PRICELESS.....:yes:

Them itches get expensive......

But the feeling of having the ONLY key to your own plane is PRICELESS.....:yes:

Lol if you own a cherokee your key fits yours and all the others haha

Back