2 Dead near Santa Barbara, 182 headed to San Diego

Yes, there was a CAP alert for that one.

Mayday call came out, ELT detected and located, wreckage and two bodies found 17 miles north of SBA.

Single engine, night time, over the hills/mountains. Just reaffirms my personal prohibitions on this type of flight. Once the engine quit, these guys had no chance. The worst part is, the passenger didn't "Die doing what he loved." He paid for this ride. He actually thought this was the same as going on the airlines. Another black eye for GA as the grieving family of the passenger tells everyone far and wide about their experience with "those little airplanes".

RIP to those that perished.

Hmmmmm. Classy.

Single engine, night time, over the hills/mountains. Just reaffirms my personal prohibitions on this type of flight. Once the engine quit, these guys had no chance. The worst part is, the passenger didn't "Die doing what he loved." He paid for this ride. He actually thought this was the same as going on the airlines. Another black eye for GA as the grieving family of the passenger tells everyone far and wide about their experience with "those little airplanes".

The strange thing is, if they were really headed from SLO to Santa Barbara, the terrain they flew over was out of the way. V27 is almost a direct route, over much friendlier terrain (and a highway) except for a few miles over Gaviota Pass.

I must have missed the part of the article where it was revealed that the passenger "thought this was the same as going on the airlines." Or perhaps you have some other credible source for the passenger's perspective?

The article also didn't appear to reveal any details as to the root cause of the accident, other than a general statement that the pilot reported engine trouble.

While I'm not intimately familiar with the terrain over this part of California, I've flown single-engine many times over mountainous areas at night, and I did not consider those flights to carry a material risk greater than any other night flight. However, I operated those flights only at higher altitudes, and only within gliding distance of valleys and/or airports which would work to mitigate the risk. While you're free to set your own personal limits, by adopting your limits I wouldn't be able to take ANY night flight in my area of the country. The reality is that the additional risk can be mitigated or eliminated with proper planning and sound judgment.

JKG

While I'm not intimately familiar with the terrain over this part of California, I've flown single-engine many times over mountainous areas at night, and I did not consider those flights to carry a material risk greater than any other night flight. However, I operated those flights only at higher altitudes, and only within gliding distance of valleys and/or airports which would work to mitigate the risk. While you're free to set your own personal limits, by adopting your limits I wouldn't be able to take ANY night flight in my area of the country. The reality is that the additional risk can be mitigated or eliminated with proper planning and sound judgment.

It's not hard to find acceptable terrain in that area. US101 is usable over almost the entire route as an emergency landing site. You just have to care to follow it.

Just popping over the 4000 foot peak just north of the city just means you are in too much of a hurry. The oil spill TFR tops out at 1000. Overfly it, and fly a whopping 5 miles out of your way to follow the road.

Riggs took an innocent victim with him, Martz took a an innocent victim with him. Some of this crap is heartbreakingly predictable.

RIP to the innocents...

Last edited:
Wow.

No disrespect intended, but with backgrounds like that, I would be vigilant checking those dental records.

Indeed.

Wonder what this is all about

image.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed.

Wonder what this is all about

image.jpg
If you read the article, this was the guy who gained notoriety after the FAA busted him for having sex while flying a helo. That is probably the reason for the 'call for further info' note in the database. His certificate may or may not be currently valid.

I must have missed the part of the article where it was revealed that the passenger "thought this was the same as going on the airlines." Or perhaps you have some other credible source for the passenger's perspective?

The article also didn't appear to reveal any details as to the root cause of the accident, other than a general statement that the pilot reported engine trouble.

JKG

It is though. Hostile terrain has lesser chance of a successful emergency landing. When you add night to that where you can't see the small survivable areas, then you have added another link to the accident chain that will kill you.

It's a way to do a tax dodge.
Perhaps, but it appears more like the airplane WAS in PCF and either the club removed it from the fleet list when they heard about the accident or the airplane left the club previously. The photos of the airplane are archived on the club's website.

Almost sounds like an illegal charter....

Not necessarily, I do this with my boat clients occasionally. They pay for the plane rental from the FBO with their credit card and pay me to fly them in it. That's perfectly legal under PT. 91.

Airplane was N5738F. If you google it, you get a link to Pacific Coast Flyers, but the link does not show that particular airplane in the fleet.

Curious where you found the tail number. That is a PCF plane, and I'm somewhat familiar with their planes as they all park a short walk from mine on the ramp at CRQ. I also know the owner of the club but haven't talked to him in a few days.

It was my airplane. And it's really painful to process all those recent events.

Curious where you found the tail number. That is a PCF plane, and I'm somewhat familiar with their planes as they all park a short walk from mine on the ramp at CRQ. I also know the owner of the club but haven't talked to him in a few days.

It was in the FAA Preliminary Reports page. I was looking there this morning for another accident that happened I've the weekend and saw it listed.

Give you guys a short story. Friday around 1 am I got a call from SAR and CAP inquiring about my aircraft. The most I could give them was the reservation info off scheduling system. By morning it became clear that it wasn't a case that somebody forgot to close a flight plan. Plane never made it back.

After that only bad news. First I got call from NTSB, later today from FAA. Investigation is in progress. I'm really bumped, so is my mechanic. We don't know any details other than what have been published on the news.

Last edited:
Let me post your address in my blog and see how you feel about it

Go Ahead..I ain't got nuttin to hide....

Anyone can find me using N801BH. Or my website. www.haaspowerair.com...

I just read through the report and this is strange..... Seems the passenger was a fair distance from the wreckage.....

Did he jump ? Was he pushed ??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:..

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The second victim was found with the help of Sheriff's Search and Rescue team members and County Air Support personnel in a remote area near Don Victor Trail.

Both men are believed to be in their 50s or 60s. Their names have not yet been released.

UPDATE 10:30 a.m.: The Federal Aviation Administration has released preliminary information about the plane crash north of Ojai Thursday night.

The pilot of a single-engine Cessna 182 was flying from Lompoc to McClellan-Palomar Airport in Carlsbad. At approximately 9:45 p.m. Thursday, the pilot reported a loss of engine power about 18 miles northeast of Santa Barbara, according to the FAA's Lynn Lunsford.

The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office confirmed the pilot, who was the only person on board, was killed earlier this morning. Ventura County Fire says the crash site is in a remote area north of Jameson Lake, which is 30-40 miles north of Ojai.

I understand that accident curiosity take over and ethics doesn't apply. As for me it's hard to see 38F wreckage and realize that someone lost life. I'd rather have my plane crashed and whoever was flying it walked away.

I've been trying to process all that for couple days now. Unfortunately, constant reminders don't make it easy. I guess one way to find out it to experience it yourself..

Go Ahead..I ain't got nuttin to hide....

Anyone can find me using N801BH...

Really? Sometimes we can forget that there are real live human beings attached to the other end of the Internet (I.e. Keyboard). I like to think of this place as a little like the 19th hole or Masonic Lodge, and you'd never say that in those real life places...

Hopefully you'd sympathize and show kindness.

Really? Sometimes we can forget that there are real live human beings attached to the other end of the Internet (I.e. Keyboard). I like to think of this place as a little like the 19th hole or Masonic Lodge, and you'd never say that in those real life places...

Hopefully you'd sympathize and show kindness.

Guys.....

I feel TERRIBLE about the loss of life.... I saw two people killed in a crash last year, and spent several days digging the remains out of the mess, so I understand the human part of it...:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

My comment was strictly about others being able to research the N number and find out who owns the aircraft... Like it or not, that is part of living in a free society.... ya got to take the good with the bad....

It was my airplane. And it's really painful to process all those recent events.

Sorry to hear that. Gotta be tough to deal with under the circumstances.

My condolences.

Back