2 Aborted Takeoffs

FlyingTiger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingTiger
Shortly after I started rolling (Arrow III), engine backfires and power drops sharply for a second then revs back up to full power. Aborted the takeoff and did another run-up/mags check. Everything seemed fine so I lined up, got heavy on the breaks and throttled up to full power. Engine was running smoothly, so I start rolling. No backfire this time but it was taking more runway then normal to get to rotate speed, so aborted right at Vr because I was concerned the plane would not climb out properly. It was almost as if I was taking off from a high altitude airport.

When I brought the plane in, one of the instructors says that the pilot that flew it earlier in the day said that the oil pressure was low for the entire flight. Nice to hear that after the fact, right?. Anyhow, the FBO is checking it out, but any opinions on what's up. Also, would you have brought the plane back after the first aborted takeoff or would you have checked the engine some more like I did and tried again? Needless to say I am second guessing even attempting another takeoff.

Last edited:
You did the right thing by aborting, especially if you get a drop in power on the roll like in your situation. You made the choice to abort the takeoff and stuck with it, nice job! :)

Last edited:
Shortly after I started rolling (Arrow III), engine backfires and power drops sharply for a second then revs back up to full power. Aborted the takeoff and did another run-up/mags check. Everything seemed fine so I lined up, got heavy on the breaks and throttled up to full power. Engine was running smoothly, so I start rolling. No backfire this time but it was taking more runway then normal to get to rotate speed, so aborted right at Vr because I was concerned the plane would not climb out properly. It was almost as if I was taking off from a high altitude airport.

When I brought the plane in, one of the instructors says that the pilot that flew it earlier in the day said that the oil pressure was low for the entire flight. Nice to hear that after the fact, right?. Anyhow, the FBO is checking it out, but any opinions on what's up. Also, would you have brought the plane back after the first aborted takeoff or would you have checked the engine some more like I did? Needless to say I am second guessing even attempting another takeoff.

Back fire and notable loss of power, put a fork in that flight it's done.

Good job! I have done the same thing due to a problem with a turbo. Its not fun. Maybe an exhaust/intake leak?

When I brought the plane in, one of the instructors says that the pilot that flew it earlier in the day said that the oil pressure was low for the entire flight. Nice to hear that after the fact, right?. Anyhow, the FBO is checking it out, but any opinions on what's up. Also, would you have brought the plane back after the first aborted takeoff or would you have checked the engine some more like I did and tried again? Needless to say I am second guessing even attempting another takeoff.

Anytime you have a backfire you need to check the muffler, since there can be damage which could block the exhaust and cause power reduction. In your case, the subsequent power reduction only makes it more probable.

you're called "FLYINGTiger", not "backtaxiingduetopotentialengineissuesTiger", sheesh man, c'mon!!!!

Yea, that's the attitude that led me to trying again, lol. Hadn't flown in 3 weeks and it was a gorgeous day yesterday. Funny how those outside influences can lead you astray. Really should of parked it after the first one.

Yea, that's the attitude that led me to trying again, lol. Hadn't flown in 3 weeks and it was a gorgeous day yesterday. Funny how those outside influences can lead you astray. Really should of parked it after the first one.
Maybe, maybe not, but in the end, you were down here wishing your were up there and not the other way around, so you did good.

As for that business about one of their instructors noting an engine discrepancy on the previous flight and nobody did anything or said anything to the next pilot about it, that's another story. Y'all be careful with the airplanes those folks give you -- it's not nice to play "I've got a secret" with mechanical problems like that.

The second try was not an error, a transient pop isn't unusual in the right conditions. Had you taken off the second time THAT would have been an error.

Likely an injection pump issue, anyone smell the oil for fuel?

The second try was not an error, a transient pop isn't unusual in the right conditions. Had you taken off the second time THAT would have been an error.

Likely an injection pump issue, anyone smell the oil for fuel?
is he flying one of those detroit series-60 powered arrows ?

Maybe, maybe not, but in the end, you were down here wishing your were up there and not the other way around, so you did good.

As for that business about one of their instructors noting an engine discrepancy on the previous flight and nobody did anything or said anything to the next pilot about it, that's another story. Y'all be careful with the airplanes those folks give you -- it's not nice to play "I've got a secret" with mechanical problems like that.

Cap't Ron is dead on with that observation......:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another reason to own...as a long time maintenance test pilot I would have given it back for checkout after the first attempt...but you did good by shutting it down on number two...rarely does that clear up unlike a fouled plug you might find on a mag check...well done.

After the first time I'd have called it a day, ether way same result.

I was in a C-130 once over Germany when it had an all four engine roll-back (drop in RPM) in flight. C-130s run at max rpm and the prop is adjusted. So when there's a drop in RPM its a big deal. Immediate grounding and you rip off everything. Every single wire and part gets tested.

You made the right choice, you dont want to be in that situation. That freaked me out a bit.

After the first abort I probably would have tried running the engine up and leaning to clean the plugs. Then another normal mag check and made a decision based on that.

You did fine.

Never experienced anything like that on my arrow. I would have aborted as well. Probably after the first attempt.

Good choice on the aborted takeoffs. The FBO should have checked out the airplane before you took it. The previous pilot made mention of a problem. The FBO used you to check out the complaint,at your cost.

I would be surprised if they charged him for that. He never left the ground due to their aircraft's problems.

Good call, Tiger.

Does the panel have any good engine performance indicators such as EGTs, CHTs etc? Those could tell you some more about the engine condition. Whether it was running too rich, too lean, too rough or too hot, it would be easier to see with such instrumentation.

Let us know what the mechanics find, I am curious.

No the FBO didn't charge me and they were not aware of any problem until after I went back in. That's when someone did the "oh by the way".

No the FBO didn't charge me and they were not aware of any problem until after I went back in. That's when someone did the "oh by the way".

I would think the manager of that FBO needs to have a little chat with that "oh ,by the way" person.....:rolleyes:

Good call, Tiger.

Does the panel have any good engine performance indicators such as EGTs, CHTs etc? Those could tell you some more about the engine condition. Whether it was running too rich, too lean, too rough or too hot, it would be easier to see with such instrumentation.

Let us know what the mechanics find, I am curious.

This is one of the disadvantages to single pilot, it's hard to monitor the engines on take off and such.

No Go

For me, a backfire and loss of power on first roll = no go till it's checked out.

There are just too many serious and non-serious malfunctions that could cause this. I wouldn't go until I knew. Perhaps part of my decision is based on where I fly: KWHP in LA...nowhere good to land...urban area...

Consider that unless you fly from airports in isolated areas, you are putting others at risk until you know for sure.

In short: No go after first attempt gets my vote without a shread of doubt in my mind.

Re: No Go

For me, a backfire and loss of power on first roll = no go till it's checked out.

There are just too many serious and non-serious malfunctions that could cause this. I wouldn't go until I knew. Perhaps part of my decision is based on where I fly: KWHP in LA...nowhere good to land...urban area...

Consider that unless you fly from airports in isolated areas, you are putting others at risk until you know for sure.

In short: No go after first attempt gets my vote without a shread of doubt in my mind.

You put people at risk regardless every time you take off, this just adds a pre-existing condition is all.

FlyingTiger,

NOT criticizing - the drive to get in the air is strong, and I might have done the same thing.

Still...

...over the years I have lost count of the number of accident reports I've read that start out just like yours - a malfunction, a taxi back, things seem resolved, a second attempt and then - disaster. The NTSB report later has as a contributing factor something like, "Operating with a known deficiency".

So, rationally, your second attempt could be questioned - at least unless things were more fully investigated. I did have a Tiger where a baffle came loose in the muffler and caused a huge power loss. That unexpected backfire* at an unexpected time could certainly have led to a similar power loss.

But glad things worked out - live and learn!

*OK, technically an "afterfire"!

Last edited:
I would think the manager of that FBO needs to have a little chat with that "oh ,by the way" person.....:rolleyes:
Probably one which would have to be done behind closed doors in order to stay within the old "commend in public, correct in private" maxim. Maybe even a soundproof door.

Back