2½ Miles From Home

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
- - - if driving to the location. As the crow flies, half a mile or so.
Note how the 180° view angle change, and the lay of light, changes color of the water. Those boaters who may remember the Cape Dory sailboats, this is where they were built: Robinhood Marine Center, Georgetown, Maine.

While up here I might as well head over Reid State Park. It's six miles from my house but in the other direction. In the 3rd image the somewhat oval area(upper near center) set into the trees is Robinhood Marine Center, as in the first two pictures.

HR

Attachments

• DSC05405 (1L).JPG
    10.7 MB · Views: 98
  • DSC05409 (2L).JPG
    10.6 MB · Views: 70
  • DSC05393 (1L).JPG
    DSC05393 (1L).JPG
    10.1 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC05395 (1L).JPG
    DSC05395 (1L).JPG
    13 MB · Views: 47
Nice photo,s always liked Maine,by air or water.

Those are great pictures. What aircraft did you take them from?

Those are great pictures. What aircraft did you take them from?
This one(Skyhawk C-172L), though at a better time of year. Here it's sitting on #25 at my base KIWI.

:eek:)

Attachments

• N7872G 032207 From #25 to 07.jpg
    N7872G 032207 From #25 to 07.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 28
Nice. I wish I had a view like that for my local flying.

I had a house in Scottsdale, AZ which had been my mother's place. I could have moved out there, rather than visiting. However, there aren't too many lighthouses, lobster boats, bridges, islands, et cetera out there to photograph from the air, so I sold the house and continue to suffer the consequences of Maine weather phenomena. Here's the worksheet of one of my books. The cover shot is six miles south of the house. The other shots:
The two islands, from different angles are Malden(larger) and Hen, part of the Five Islands village of Georgetown. They are privately owned by current generations of the families who settled them about 108 years ago.

HR

Attachments

• Georgetown Five Islands Back and Front Covers.jpg
    Georgetown Five Islands Back and Front Covers.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC05328(3).JPG
    DSC05328(3).JPG
    9.1 MB · Views: 22
  • DSC05329(1).JPG
    9.3 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC05331(3).JPG
    DSC05331(3).JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 21
- - - if driving to the location. As the crow flies, half a mile or so.
Note how the 180° view angle change, and the lay of light, changes color of the water. Those boaters who may remember the Cape Dory sailboats, this is where they were built: Robinhood Marine Center, Georgetown, Maine.

While up here I might as well head over Reid State Park. It's six miles from my house but in the other direction. In the 3rd image the somewhat oval area(upper near center) set into the trees is Robinhood Marine Center, as in the first two pictures.

HR

Gorgeous shots. What camera and settings are you using (if you are willing to share)?

Great photos! It's been years since I've been to Reid State Park.

We'll be back east in late June, but probabiy only a few days in Maine.

Last edited:
Great photos! It's been years since I've been to Reid State Park.

We'll be back east in late June, but probabiy only a few days in Maine.
Call me if you have a chance. Since you were here and at Hangar 6 at the old NAS, Kestrel has been joined by an adjacent tenant: Tempus Jets. Tempus relocated from Tennessee(or somewhere down yonder); they do service/renovation on airliners and have options on additional space that would allow them to have room for 747-type aircraft. The FBO we visited has moved into what used to be the building with the old tower(see photo).

HR

Attachments

• DSC08114(1).JPG
    DSC08114(1).JPG
    5 MB · Views: 11
Gorgeous shots. What camera and settings are you using (if you are willing to share)?
Camera was SONY A-900 FF DSLR; lens was Carl Zeiss 24-70mm f2.8. I'm not sure what setting I was using. The Carl Zeiss lens is a terrific optic. I like to shoot rather wide angle because the lens is so sharp I can often create several additional images from the original. Most original images are at 4032 x 6048, probably between 16-21MB, allowing some serious cropping work. The camera can handle just short of 27MB. I've had images printed as large as 40" x 60".

HR

Do you have a camera port in your 172? I can never get anything approaching that quality through the plexi. Of course I'm not using Lecia-Zeiss optics either...

Do you have a camera port in your 172? I can never get anything approaching that quality through the plexi. Of course I'm not using Lecia-Zeiss optics either...
No camera port, only the pilot's side opening windscreen. My right-side door is a fixed windscreen. I removed the device which permitted the window to only open 4 or 5 inches; now it opens to the bottom of the wing and allows full view(except for the strut hindrance). I attached a long cord to the window latch. The cord is of sufficient length that I sit on the other end. When I'm done shooting I reach under my butt to get the cord's end, then pull the window closed without left-arm wrestling with the wind under the wing or losing my visual attention forward(or scan). More than one has asked, "What's with the coiled cord in the ash tray?"

I'd like to get one of the LP-Aero photo windows for the right door.

HR

HR

No camera port, only the pilot's side opening windscreen. My right-side door is a fixed windscreen. I removed the device which permitted the window to only open 4 or 5 inches; now it opens to the bottom of the wing and allows full view(except for the strut hindrance).

HR

I did not know you could do that in a 172. Very nice. (Probably won't let me do it to a club plane, though.)

John

I did not know you could do that in a 172. Very nice. (Probably won't let me do it to a club plane, though.)

John

Here's one possibility I'm considering for the right, non-opening window.

HR

Attachments

• 532 long removable photo window from inside.JPG
    532 long removable photo window from inside.JPG
    411.9 KB · Views: 13
Back