1st XC, and long XC completed this morning!

MDeitch1976

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MattCanFly
Hello all,

Let me start with the utter lack of a good nights sleep. Nerves way to hard core, and way to much on the mind to sleep.
Get to the airport, and rescheduled to another aircraft. Someone came down hard, and shave the prop a little bit. New plane, analog gauges, no AP, no CDI or any of that. Just a GPS there to use if I needed it. I cheated, and used it a little.
The Outlook briefing before I went to bed was pretty close to what was being forecast before the flight. Had some haze, but the report made it seem patchy and 5SM vis. I would say it was not patchy, just haze over the whole route. For the first XC, and Long one, made it a bit fun.

My first leg was GAI to MQS. I did not spot my first checkpoint, but had another I could see. Seem to be pretty close to my calculation on time. Second check point was hard to pick out of the haze. It then started to get a little bumpy for a little bit, and my third checkpoint was going to be hard to see. I activated the GPS, only to spot my checkpoint, so I kept my eyes off of the GPS. Fourth leg across the Susquehana went well, right where I wanted to be. By the way my intended altitude was going to be 3500, but I had better vis at 3000, so I stayed there. Finding the airport was pretty easy because I spotted the train tracks that ran parallel to the airport, and voila, there it is. Landing pretty uneventful, overshot a little, but it got a little bumpy, and decided to make my turn more shallow.

Got my next sheet ready, and off I went to to York. MQS to THV. Missed my first checkpoint again, should have used something better. I was planning to cross over where the railroad turned north, but was a little south, and could not see it with the low wing. I used my second checkpoint, found myself a little south. Turned above it and back on course. Still a bit hazy, and came down to 2500 before the Town of York. Instructor had given me a landmark to use. Ended up putting me south of the airport, so I used the GPS, and spotted the airport to the North. Overflew the airfield, had a big hill off to the south(my left), and made a right turn to 180. Which was nice because it put me perfectly on my 45 for downwind. Had a nice landing here. I will say I communicated my position 4 times while approaching and planning to overfly the airfield. Landing was well with the displaced threshold. I wish I floated more because the RWY exit was way down the RWY. Good airport to practice no flap landings. I will be back. Once again got my things ready, and departed for Gaithersburg.

I have not been forgetting on this flight to correct the Horizontal Indicator. Maybe not perfect because the compass deviation was difficult to read. Someone needs to use a darker pen/marker/whatever. My check points were easy, but really only needed the first one because after that I was in my practice area. Routine as usual, just some haze. Let the SFRA know the airport was in sight at about 4 miles out.

Arrived back at the airport. 2.6 hours on the hobb. 174 NM flight. Shut the plane down, only a tiny adrenaline jitter this time. I was more excited then my instructor was. Guess there is just no celebration or traditions or anything at my flight school. I think when it comes to the next level of flight instruction I may use another school. You would think a school would celebrate your progress with you a bit more. A pat on the back would be great.

All those nerves last night, and before the flight for nothing. While I would have preferred better visibility so I could have avoided the GPS at all would have been great. I realize a couple of things I need to work on, such as not getting off my heading to much. Need more situational awareness while doing my calculations for my pilotage. It is amazing how different I feel mentally after this trip.

Thanks for listening! If your wondering I was in a Piper Sport LSA.

Great job and nice job describing it! I think using a GPS is not exactly cheating... If it's in the plane you should use it for sure, especially on the first solo long XC! Congrats

Congrats.

One note... The whole world is a checkpoint. Just keep finding stuff on the chart along the whole course. Situational awareness.

The ones on the flight plan are good for timing, since you've already done the math, but sometimes I feel the focus during early XC instruction is more on hitting the individual points someone picked vs. just seeing that...

"There's the river and we're basically crossing it east-west, so that looks right... There's the two lakes right next to each other over there about three miles off our course which looks right... There's the highway that goes past the town and it's in the right place..."

You probably get what I mean. Everything going by out the window is a continuous tapestry of checkpoints. ;)

Congrats.

One note... The whole world is a checkpoint. Just keep finding stuff on the chart along the whole course. Situational awareness.

The ones on the flight plan are good for timing, since you've already done the math, but sometimes I feel the focus during early XC instruction is more on hitting the individual points someone picked vs. just seeing that...

"There's the river and we're basically crossing it east-west, so that looks right... There's the two lakes right next to each other over there about three miles off our course which looks right... There's the highway that goes past the town and it's in the right place..."

You probably get what I mean. Everything going by out the window is a continuous tapestry of checkpoints. ;)

Definitely. I definitely get your point. A couple examples. Crossing the Susquehanna River heading N.E. Should be between the bridge on my right, and the mass load of towers on my left. Another would be heading S.W. for home. There is a cement plant that was not one of my checkpoints. But, something I know if I am to the left of it, no way I will end up in Camp Davids Airspace in which POTUS is currently occupying this weekend.

Definitely. I definitely get your point. A couple examples. Crossing the Susquehanna River heading N.E. Should be between the bridge on my right, and the mass load of towers on my left. Another would be heading S.W. for home. There is a cement plant that was not one of my checkpoints. But, something I know if I am to the left of it, no way I will end up in Camp Davids Airspace in which POTUS is currently occupying this weekend.

You got it! It's hard to get lost if the whole world is a checkpoint.

This is taught pretty religiously in mountain flying. Way too many people "turn up the wrong valley" and end up trapped by rising terrain. My mountain CFI wanted my thumb on the chart at my current location at all times at first, until the habit gets built up.

Have fun with the cross countries!

Cross countries were my favorite part of flight training! I flew over PA yesterday, from Syracuse to Baltimore and back. I was at 9500 coming home, and in the late afternoon, there was indeed a pretty good haze layer below me. Very common on most summer days around here. Although it doesn't always work, remember that 8500/9500 will usually put you above the haze. And it tends to be a smoother ride as well. And another big plus on a day like yesterday, when it was 101 in Baltimore, it was about 55 degrees F at 9500 feet!

I have been to York. Did you grab something from the on-field restaurant there?

Try not to be put off by your CFI's seeming lack of enthusiasm. Remember, while it's a big deal to you (and rightfully so), it's probably just business to him. I got a handshake and congratulations after my first solo, but aside from that, after most other flights, including my XCs, it was just, "OK, so how did it go and what questions do you have?" If you feel you are getting good instruction, I wouldn't sweat it.

Matt, nice writeup. I just did mine last weekend, so I know how you're feeling about now!

Maybe I'm just not doing it the way everyone else does... but I don't write down a nav log of visual checkpoints with times. I have my route marked on teh sectional, which is in my lap or within easy reach when I'm flying. Since there's not much else to do on a cross country flight, I'll check my position on teh chart every few minutes. I know what I'm supposed to be seeing next -- towns, lakes, etc.

On my dual X/C my CFI told me a couple of times he thought we were off course. IN each case I was able to determine within about a minute exactly where we were, just by landmarks -- roads, towns, towers, etc. On my long solo X/C I was mostly using VOR, but always kept track of where I was on the sectional as well.

I kind of thought using the GPS as a student pilot was "cheating" a little too, but my instructor pointed out that if it's in the airplane, I should bloody well know how to use it. So he's had me use it several times just to make sure I knew how, and I used it on the homeward leg of my solo X/C. It's also nice to know exactly how far out you are at a glance, rather than trying to manipulate a plotter and chart in your lap with no autopilot. I figure all three of the club planes have GPS, and if I eventually buy or build my plane will have it too. So I'll use it, but won't be dependent on it.

Try not to be put off by your CFI's seeming lack of enthusiasm. Remember, while it's a big deal to you (and rightfully so), it's probably just business to him. I got a handshake and congratulations after my first solo, but aside from that, after most other flights, including my XCs, it was just, "OK, so how did it go and what questions do you have?" If you feel you are getting good instruction, I wouldn't sweat it.

:yeahthat: If you always want a "Way to go buddy" when you get into a corporate job or your career good luck getting them there too. This is your thing. Have your SO or parents pat you on the back.

Nice work....it's always good to tick one more thing off on your way to your license.

Good job! (consider it a virtual pat on the back)

One of the issues with finding your first checkpoint can be that on a chart you draw a line from airport to airport and then select your checkpoints. The thing is you don't fly it that way. You take off and usually depart the pattern at some other place. This makes your line a bit different and makes your first checkpoint the furthest offline. If you go back a redraw your line on the chart as you flew it you might see how you could miss it.

One of the ways to not miss it for sure is when starting a cross country like that to always put the airport on your tail as you head off on heading.

Congratulations on your first cross country. Hard to believe you actually got it done without the autopilot. :wink2: Enjoy the rest of your training!

I thought about climbing higher to get to cooler air, and above the haze. I was not sure how this would affect spotting out my check points.

I did not stop at the restaurant at York. I arrived at Chester County first, and thought of stopping in to say hello, but I was just so excited. I flew onto York. When I landed at York, I had that same feeling. I was so close to home at this point, I figured head home home and talk about it over lunch with someone I know.

I will try not to be put off by my instructors lack of interest. My original instructor moved on. I like working with the head instructor, but feel he pushes me off on another instructor, who is a newer instructor. Also, the head instructor will be moving on soon. There are a couple new instructors working there. The problem I have is making sure the instructors are all on the same page.

Cross countries were my favorite part of flight training! I flew over PA yesterday, from Syracuse to Baltimore and back. I was at 9500 coming home, and in the late afternoon, there was indeed a pretty good haze layer below me. Very common on most summer days around here. Although it doesn't always work, remember that 8500/9500 will usually put you above the haze. And it tends to be a smoother ride as well. And another big plus on a day like yesterday, when it was 101 in Baltimore, it was about 55 degrees F at 9500 feet!

I have been to York. Did you grab something from the on-field restaurant there?

Matt, nice writeup. I just did mine last weekend, so I know how you're feeling about now!

Maybe I'm just not doing it the way everyone else does... but I don't write down a nav log of visual checkpoints with times. I have my route marked on teh sectional, which is in my lap or within easy reach when I'm flying. Since there's not much else to do on a cross country flight, I'll check my position on teh chart every few minutes. I know what I'm supposed to be seeing next -- towns, lakes, etc.

On my dual X/C my CFI told me a couple of times he thought we were off course. IN each case I was able to determine within about a minute exactly where we were, just by landmarks -- roads, towns, towers, etc. On my long solo X/C I was mostly using VOR, but always kept track of where I was on the sectional as well.

I kind of thought using the GPS as a student pilot was "cheating" a little too, but my instructor pointed out that if it's in the airplane, I should bloody well know how to use it. So he's had me use it several times just to make sure I knew how, and I used it on the homeward leg of my solo X/C. It's also nice to know exactly how far out you are at a glance, rather than trying to manipulate a plotter and chart in your lap with no autopilot. I figure all three of the club planes have GPS, and if I eventually buy or build my plane will have it too. So I'll use it, but won't be dependent on it.

Like you, I've also used the chart as my nav log.
But, one thing you didn't mention (so I will, for the peanut gallery), is to know WHEN you've crossed various checkpoints ... so you know how you're doing on fuel (winds as planned? better? worse?), ETA, and where/when you last were before getting "lost."

The fuel issue may not come into play in a 5-hour plane on a short student cross country; but it surely might someday - flying a short-legged plane or on partial tanks, fuel not available as planned, diversions, etc.

Like you, I've also used the chart as my nav log.
But, one thing you didn't mention (so I will, for the peanut gallery), is to know WHEN you've crossed various checkpoints ... so you know how you're doing on fuel (winds as planned? better? worse?), ETA, and where/when you last were before getting "lost."

The fuel issue may not come into play in a 5-hour plane on a short student cross country; but it surely might someday - flying a short-legged plane or on partial tanks, fuel not available as planned, diversions, etc.
Excellent point, and thanks for making it. I have to do another flight plan today for a flight on Tuesday, and I'll note the times on the chart at various points along the route. Since I'm a little picky about such things, I'll start the elapsed times from a point where I know I'll be done with the low speed climb out and on the established route.

I like to mark top of climb and top of descent as "checkpoints," mainly to test the POH numbers for time to altitude. Top of descent is based on 500 FPM descent at cruise speed, top of climb is based on a Vy climb.

If you lean correctly and the aircraft is in good shape, you should approximate the POH numbers (assuming rising/sinking air isn't too significant).

Also, check your fuel consumption. Both comparing ground speed to the nav log, and by measuring the consumption when you shut the engine off (fuel used / Hobbs).

On my long cross country, I found that the 34 year old 172N I trained on was getting very close to POH numbers, which is important to know. Fuel consumption was 8.5 GPH and time to altitude was within a minute.

Some of the other aircraft at the club aren't so good.

Back