1st Solo Actual

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
WAhooo! Got to log my first solo actual time, and approach. FLew to KOQU (Quonset) in RI this morning. TS Ernesto had cleared out of here, but was still finishing up in NE. Coastal airports were reporting 15g20 winds, 800 overcasts, -RA, BR but good vis, lower winds off the coast. Entered the clouds as expected just east of New Haven on descent. Intermittent rain, solid clouds, but relatively smooth ride. Kept the autopilot on for heading, which helped.

I had briefed the ILS16 several times on the ride up, but it still seemed like a lot of action after being cleared to intercept. I was happy to have vectors instead of a full approach. Flew to the intercept by hand, made a few major overcorrections due to slight rust in the skills (plus I only had 2 approaches in actual during training, and they were done under the hood anyway). Once I got myself in the groove, remembered to make gentle corrections, everything kind of came together, and I rode down the ILS pretty much smack on.

Broke out about 300 above DH, runway just ahead, did a nice crosswind slip and probably my best crosswind landing ever, wing low and left main touching first, smooth roll-off onto right main. Winds were cranking a bit, about 20kts but only about 30 off the nose. The runway is twice the length of Wings, so I had a TON of runway left when I taxiied off. Nothing like an ILS and a long runway to make an easy approach!

I have to say, 3 tools in my cockpit are worth every $$$ for actual IFR -- the STEC30, the G430, and the G396 with WX. Definitely made this flight easier for me. I feel like I'm cheating with that gear helping out, but whatever it takes to fly safely, I'll do!!

Way to go Andrew!! Man I bet that was a great feeling busting out and there it sits waiting for you to land....where it's expected to be! I can't wait to start my IR.

I was local today in 46C and will get seat time in the piper 8LA tomorrow, wish I could make Bader but I guess I'll have to pass. My lesson will not finish up until 10.

Last edited:
It was VERY cool. First I saw a bit of ground under me, then, right where it should be, a nice big runway with all the pretty lights. Just like in flight simulator.:D

Too bad about Bader. Try the Wings Airshow next Saturday. Free lunch for pilots who fly in.

That first solo in actual is always exciting. Mine sure was. Good work!

That's great Andrew. The first solo actual is right up there with first student solo.

What routing did they give you out of wings.

Interesting question, actually. I figured I'd try TEC routing, but there was nothing in the AF/D Phila-Providence direction. There is something listed for PVD-PNE, so I filed that (ORW V16 DIXIE V276 ARD) for the return trip, assuming it was some sort of one-way routing thing. On the way up I filed ARD V445 NANCI V6 LGA V475 CARLD V188 GON etc., but got cleared via V276/Dixie/V16/JFK/BRD before following the north shore of the Sound.

I got cleared as filed on the return. I've never heard "Cleared as filed" before, although I've admittedly not been doing this for long. When KOQU ground said those magic words I was shocked. I guess TEC routes DO work!!!!!

I'm going up again tomorrow, so I'll try to file the TEC route up and back and see what happens.

Andrew: Great accomplishment. Not sure whicih Wings field you flew out of but Ernesto made the weather crappy all day yesterday. I'm surprised you didn't end up in the goo shortly after takeoff and foly most of the way up in the clagg. Regardless sounds like an awesome trip.

FWIW I have flow up to New England quite a bit IFR ( though not usually in the clagg) You will usually get one of two routes

1) The route you took ARD V276 DIXIE V16 JFK then usaully onto BDL or some other route to get to the connecutcuit shore.

2) The westerly route up to Lake Henry and Hugonaugt and then eastward over centeral CT.

The first route is better.

There is also the "Shark route" Whcih is way way out over the water south of Long Island. a route I have only done in a Twin. Wouldn't do it in the Slowdowner.

Congrats on the Approach see you at the Wings vintage Air show.

Back