1st Post.. Hello

chrisansilver

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
chrisansilver
I’ve been wanting to do this for some years now. At a point in my life I’m financially independent and have time.
Quick question, well questions.
1-I’m legally blind in my right eye, have been for 37 years. I have 20/20 in my left eye.
Non issue other than form 8500-7?

2-DWI in 1987, misdemeanor offense.. Stupid mistake was having fun. Had just gotten out of the service.

3-Unlawful Carry of a weapon 1997. Misdemeanor offense.

Health is very good. Are the above show stoppers for me?
Well now you all know the bad about me..
Glad to be here..

Not an expert by any means. Those will be by shortly. I think the DWI will be the biggest issue. You may have to jump through some hoops, although it's been long enough that if it's your only offense, you may be able to avoid the hoops.

The monovision can be worked. You'll probably need to demonstrate to the FAA that you can function with one eye. The big thing here is depth perception.

The misdemeanor I would think is a non-issue.

For all of these, Dr Bruce is the guy to listen to. I'm just some dweeb on the internet making conversation.

Pinging @bbchien (Dr. Bruce Chien) so he will know to find this thread and comment.

The old DUI will start (as usual) with what did you blow. Under 0.15 and no other issues since 1987.. probably will fly. How old were you at that time?

The one eye thing? don't know. But I have a legally blind friend who is an AWESOME computer programmer and rides a Harley with his special glasses.

Mike beat me to it, but Dr. Bruce is the man to tell you what's in front of you.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.
I was 22 at the time of the DUI.
My eye site is very well adjusted. Been a long since the injury.
My depth perception is good.
Been flying RC for years..
Been in the turbine scene for about 2 years now..

Thanks again.
Will Dr Bruce drop by here or do I need to reach out to him?

Thanks for the replies.
I was 22 at the time of the DUI.
My eye site is very well adjusted. Been a long since the injury.
My depth perception is good.
Been flying RC for years..
Been in the turbine scene for about 2 years now..

Thanks again.
Will Dr Bruce drop by here or do I need to reach out to him?

Can’t say what Dr. Chien will or won’t do. But I can tell you from personal experience that if you tell Bruce the truth (no fudging), and follow his advice to the letter, if it’s possible he’ll get you there.

My suggestion is to go to his website- http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/ and follow the instructions for contact.

Good luck, Bruce is a phenomenal advocate!

Thanks, will look into this.
I’m starting to wonder if as old as the DUI is will it come back to haunt me.. All these years later.
Would be a major disappointment.

I know a couple commercial pilots with only one eye. They had to get a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA).

Need to contact the good doc listed above for the DWI and he can also advise you on the SODA as well.

Just curious, what branch of the military were you in?

I can anticipate Bruce's question. On the DUI, did you have a blood alcohol test? If so, get the records of that. If it's below 0.15% it's an easier certificate than above. Either way though, it's going to take work by a good AME.

Monocular vision (with 20/20 in the good eye), on it's own gets you a "good for student pilot only" restriction until you take a medical flight test. I've had a couple of friends with this.

The gun charge isn't going to be a big one in isolation. Convictions other than alcohol or drugs are only a concern if they indicate a psychological disorder. Had it been more recent, it would cause you some security issues at some airports, but it's more than seven years, so that's not a problem with the TSA any longer.

My DUI was so long ago, if I’m not mistaken in Texas it was .10 or over back then to best of knowledge.
I do remember that I only blew like .01 over the legal limit.
I remember being so borderline I thought I’d walk on it.
I understand over is over, no one to blame but me.

The doctor will probably want to see the records of that BAC if you can scare them up. It would also help to run your DMV history going back ten years or more to show no other DUIs (or alcohol related actions).

I was going to make some smartassed comment about the Army and whatever 12 Bravo is, but as an Air Force retiree who never had to sleep with my head in the mud, I'll refrain and wish a fellow service member good luck in getting your medical.

I was going to make some smartassed comment about the Army and whatever 12 Bravo is, but as an Air Force retiree who never had to sleep with my head in the mud, I'll refrain and wish a fellow service member good luck in getting your medical.

Well thanks for the good luck wishes, really appreciate it..
Since we’re on the subject of smartassed remarks, I’m sure there’s would’ve been a good comeback..
Thanks again...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back