1st plane?

Samuroot1987

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Samuroot2801
What was yours and what do you reccomend for mine? No experience (going to take lessons.) like WWII planes and new dual engine planes.

Last edited:
There's no way to answer your question without knowing your budget and how you define your typical mission (flight purpose).

p51-4473518-1.jpg

P-51 with dual props. Excellent starter plane.

There's no way to answer your question without knowing your budget and how you define your typical mission (flight purpose).

Budget, $0. This is just me thinking with no budget, nothing outragous (i am just barely able to get into CAP) and i would think just something like sight seeing or flight's from medford OR airport to PDX. <- Rarely.

Budget, $0. This is just me thinking with no budget, nothing outragous (i am just barely able to get into CAP) and i would think just something like sight seeing or flight's from medford OR airport to PDX. <- Rarely.

An electric RC plane with a GoPro camera. Seriously, flying is expensive, as cheap as you can get is with a Pt 103 Ultralight. You can get into one for about $5k and depending on your storage costs figure around $30hr to fly it. You can just forget a twin or any plane you can haul a passenger in until you have a reasonable budget.

TU-95. Get the "A" model.

No seriously, just rent until you can bear to write some very large checks upon deman.....

If i were starting out I would go to a small airport that had a tail dragger instructor with a lot of time in both tail wheel and tri gear. I would become proficient in the taildragger in landings, slow flight, the whole gamut. Then I would go to tri gear to finish my private. I would stay away from a recent CFI and find someone with a lot of hours who was not simply building time. If you can handle a taildragger well , a trigear becomes a piece of cake. I went from an 85 hp champ to a mooney super 21 and it was a very easy transition. Just my opinion but it sure worked for me. I also flew a Stearman later and a Cessna 180. Both were easy for me. ( also owned a Cessna 195 which I was not at ease in, sold it)

Last edited:
If i were starting out I would go to a small airport that had a tail dragger instructor with a lot of time in both tail wheel and tri gear. I would become proficient in the taildragger in landings, slow flight, the whole gamut. Then I would go to tri gear to finish my private. I would stay away from a recent CFI and find someone with a lot of hours who was not simply building time. If you can handle a taildragger well , a trigear becomes a piece of cake. I went from an 85 hp champ to a mooney super 21 and it was a very easy transition. Just my opinion but it sure worked for me. I also flew a Stearman later and a Cessna 180. Both were easy for me. ( also owned a Cessna 195 which I was not at ease in, sold it)

Would you count kingsly feild (A.F base) as a small airport?

Thats my plan.
Good. When you have $30-50K to spend on an airplane (either on your own or with a partner or two), and $10K/year available to own and operate it thereafter, let us know. By then you'll have a better idea of what sort of capabilities you need in that plane, and we'll be able to make some realistic recommendations.

I rented for 13 years before purchasing a Piper Warrior II. My son was through high school. I took some of the equity in the house to finance the airplane. Still have it.

From his first post on the board, I figure Sam for a teenager...

So unless he's got a dad that mirrors DW's, budget doesn't exist yet

I with agree with Henning... Go find a glider club and get busy with them. You'll learn some good skills that will transfer well when you're ready for powered flight.

The first plane I owned was a Cessna 182. It followed me from Corpus Christi, to New Orleans, then to Mobile. When I got sent to Hawaii I chickened out and sold it. :yesnod:

FWIW, the first plane we owned was a 1973 Grumman AA-1B, purchased in 1978. Met the needs of a then-skinny young couple with no kids and not going anywhere too far away and was a lot of fun to fly.

I'm not, why would i lie?

Another member did this. That was a joke directed at him.

You're being honest (as far as I can tell) and that gets you respect. :thumbsup:

For a first plane I'd recomend an Ercoupe. They first flew in 1937, have a twin tail and a classic WW II look. They are also very easy to fly and have fairly low operational costs. They are also fairly cheap to buy. A perfect first plane for someone who wants a vintage look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ercoupe

Ercoupe's for sale.

http://www.controller.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=6&Manu=ERCOUPE&setype=1

Last edited:
Back