1st oil change since top overhaul

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
This weekend I change the oil after the new top I put on my O320-D3G. The removed oil was dark but not as dark as I have seen on some regular oil changes. I had 22 hours on the tach since the top and was told to expect metal in the filter. When I opened the filter I only found a few pieces of carbon and no metal what so ever.

Is that normal??

smigaldi said:
This weekend I change the oil after the new top I put on my O320-D3G. The removed oil was dark but not as dark as I have seen on some regular oil changes. I had 22 hours on the tach since the top and was told to expect metal in the filter. When I opened the filter I only found a few pieces of carbon and no metal what so ever.

Is that normal??

Praise your A&P, they did a nice job of clean up of the interior of the engine, usually find quite a bit of old gaskets, sealer, etc in the first filter.

Another job well done by the A&P.

In most cases the oil is dark because the rings are seating and there is some blow by until the rings seat. Not finding any metal is a good sign of good workmanship, job well done. I would buy the A&P lunch.

Stache

Stache said:
In most cases the oil is dark because the rings are seating and there is some blow by until the rings seat. Not finding any metal is a good sign of good workmanship, job well done. I would buy the A&P lunch.

Stache

Were these new or reworked cylinders? They say to expect some metal in the first oil change because the rings seat by wearing slightly. You guys are pretty generous with praise for something as simple as removing and replacing the cylinders. It's not anywhere near as complicated as a major overhaul--lots and lots of opportunity to exhibit good workmanship there. I would still buy the A&P lunch :)

Witmo said:
Were these new or reworked cylinders? They say to expect some metal in the first oil change because the rings seat by wearing slightly. You guys are pretty generous with praise for something as simple as removing and replacing the cylinders. It's not anywhere near as complicated as a major overhaul--lots and lots of opportunity to exhibit good workmanship there. I would still buy the A&P lunch :)

They were new ECI Titans

Back