1st of 57, KTCS

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Truth or Consequences....not just words to live by, also words to live in.

OK - I admit, I came up with that while I was flying down to the city commonly known as T or C today. It's corny, but what can I say.

Originally named Hot Springs, NM, this quaint little city changed its name in 1950 when the host of a radio game show called "Truth or Consequences," Ralph Edwards, held a contest. Basically, the contest was set up so that the first town to name themselves after the show would, in turn, be the set of a future broadcast of the show.

Every year in May, Ralph Edwards shows up for the "Fiesta," which is like a fair of sorts. The city still holds the name, although there is a rising call to change the name back to Hot Springs.

More fun trivia: As a kid, one of my favorite wrestlers in WCW was Cactus Jack, who called his home Truth or Consequences, NM. He was not really from there, and had probably never been there, but at least in my mind as a kid, that sealed the city in my heart.

Located to the west of Elephant Butte, which is a man made lake based off the Rio Grande River, the city of Truth or Consequences is like a shiny oasis in the middle of New Mexican prairie and desert. According to the 2000 Census, the city has a whopping population of 7289 people.

The airport is a bit of an oddity, in that it has one paved runway, and 4 dirt runways. The dirt runways appeared to be well maintained, but I did not try them out as the winds were perfectly down the paved runway. The unicom was monitored by a friendly gentleman who gave out the winds and known traffic, even though the airport has an ASOS.

Fuel prices were not posted, and as I didn't need fuel, I do not know what the price currently is, but there were a few fuel trucks there, so fuel is definitely available.

On a personal note, while there, I ran into 2 nice girls from Australia. They were really friendly and chatty, and pretty, too. We talked a bit about their visit to the great southwest. They came via helicopter from Pueblo, CO, with a commercial photo pilot.

The pictures below are described as follows:

#1, Elephant Butte, as seen from the north coming southbound. This is the northern tip, a few miles north of the T or C airport.

#2, Elephant Butte, as seen from the west looking eastward. This is about the middle of the butte, maybe 5 miles north of the T or C airport.

#3, The Truth or Consequences Airport Information Sign. Like most airports in New Mexico, the sign is faded and falling apart, and not much information can be gathered from it.

#4, the Australian women I met today. I do not recall their names, but they sure were nice people. Behind them is the newer FBO sign at KTCS.

Last edited:
Dammit, Nick! You're gonna' have to learn how to take photos, I could hardly see the girl's faces because of the partial shade.:)

Oops - just realized this really should be in Hops and $100 Hamburgers - any mods feel like moving it?

Richard said:
Dammit, Nick! You're gonna' have to learn how to take photos, I could hardly see the girl's faces because of the partial shade.:)

LOL - my bad. Would have been better with a real camera too...but guess what, Richard? I forgot it...AGAIN!

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
LOL - my bad. Would have been better with a real camera too...but guess what, Richard? I forgot it...AGAIN!
Seeing how NM touches AZ I still think it's the water. Same goes for CA, but I'm so far west I'm actually closer to Japan than AZ which is my way of saying none of that applies to me.:)

Did you touch down at Alexander or Soccoro on your way to TCS? Why not, you must had flown right over them.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Seeing how NM touches AZ I still think it's the water. Same goes for CA, but I'm so far west I'm actually closer to Japan than AZ which is my way of saying none of that applies to me.:)

Did you touch down at Alexander or Soccoro on your way to TCS? Why not, you must had flown right over them.

Yep - flew right over them. Did not stop tho - those will be other days :)

Nick, nice write up, keep 'em coming!!!

Nick when your all done, you can sell the book :) your going to be a star, and i can say i knew you before you were famous...

Michael said:
Nick when your all done, you can sell the book :) your going to be a star, and i can say i knew you before you were famous...

LOL. I wonder if that would make this a commercial operation. :)

Hey Nick, how good are ya at doing Excel spreadsheets?

Hows about putting a sheet together with each airport, put the identifier, where it is, and then four more columns:
  1. What ever the closest city is known for
  2. What you liked best about the airport
  3. What you liked the least about the airport
  4. Degree of difficulty: How hard was it to get into the airport (10,000 x 150 runway in the middle of a big flat would be easy, 1800 x 40 grass strip in a valley between two ridges...maybe not so easy)
Just suggestions, if you don't like them, I'll shut up :D

Just for kicks, I grabbed the green book and looked up Tennessee: 82 public use airports.

Last edited:
Bill Jennings said:
Hey Nick, how good are ya at doing Excel spreadsheets?

Hows about putting a sheet together with each airport, put the identifier, where it is, and then four more columns:
  1. What ever the closest city is known for
  2. What you liked best about the airport
  3. What you liked the least about the airport
  4. Degree of difficulty: How hard was it to get into the airport (10,000 x 150 runway in the middle of a big flat would be easy, 1800 x 40 grass strip in a valley between two ridges...maybe not so easy)
Just suggestions, if you don't like them, I'll shut up :D

Just for kicks, I grabbed the green book and looked up Tennessee: 82 public use airports.

I like it - good idea Bill! Starting on it in 8 hours (when I wake up)

NickDBrennan said:
Oops - just realized this really should be in Hops and $100 Hamburgers - any mods feel like moving it?
Or Cool Places to Fly... ;)

Moved.

NickDBrennan said:
#1, Elephant Butte, as seen from the north coming southbound. This is the northern tip, a few miles north of the T or C airport...
And I suppose you'll want me to believe that they pronounce that "Elephant Byoot" and not "elephant butt"!!!

Well, I know which one *I* would vote for!! :D

Tom

NickDBrennan said:
Oops - just realized this really should be in Hops and $100 Hamburgers
Speaking of burgers, when you get to KRTN (Raton) have Fern at the FBO cook one for you. :)

Everskyward said:
Speaking of burgers, when you get to KRTN (Raton) have Fern at the FBO cook one for you. :)

ooh - a restaurant on field!!! I haven't found many of those around here.

*devilish grin*

Oh - future reference to everyone: Please don't tell me this stuff. I wanna be surprised!! :)

NickDBrennan said:
ooh - a restaurant on field!!! I haven't found many of those around here.

*devilish grin*

Oh - future reference to everyone: Please don't tell me this stuff. I wanna be surprised!! :)
I'll let you be surprised about the "restaurant" then. ;)

I thought Elephant Butte was a butte. Like a mesa. Big rocky thing sticking up. Why would they name a lake "Butte"? Or is my English all messed up?
(I vaguely remember visiting Elephant Butte as a kid.)

--Kath

Re Raton:

Perhaps the nicest people in the universe running that airport: Keith and Fern. The couple lives on the field and will do anything to help you, anytime, with cheap fuel (by New Mexico standards) and of course no fees. If you call for an advisory on Unicom ten miles out, she'll have freshly baked cookies waiting on the counter for you.

I go out of my way to stop there whenever I'm in the vicinity.

Jon

kath said:
I thought Elephant Butte was a butte. Like a mesa. Big rocky thing sticking up. Why would they name a lake "Butte"? Or is my English all messed up?
(I vaguely remember visiting Elephant Butte as a kid.)

--Kath

Interesting question. Elephant Butte is a manmade lake.

from dictionary.com:

butte: A hill that rises abruptly from the surrounding area and has sloping sides and a flat top.

I assume that the hill next to the lake is kind of a butte, but not really, since its not flat. I don't know why its called that.

kath said:
I thought Elephant Butte was a butte. Like a mesa. Big rocky thing sticking up. Why would they name a lake "Butte"? Or is my English all messed up?(I vaguely remember visiting Elephant Butte as a kid.)-Kath

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/nmparks/PAGES/PARKS/BUTTE/BUTTE.HTM
"The name "Elephant Butte" was derived from the eroded core of an ancient volcano, now an island in the reservoir, in the shape of an elephant."

Last edited:
Back