1st family trip

ahmad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Midwest Aviator
Got my 1st bucket list item out of the way yesterday. A perfect day for flying and I had been day dreaming about this flight for years. Got my ppl in Jan and couldn't wait to do this.

we took off from S IL and headed west with FF. 15 miles outside of STL class B I was asked to contact st. Louis approach. That frequency was so busy I couldn't get a call in. 10 miles out and I still can't get to talk. 5 miles out ...still busy....**** I may have to maneuver before I bust the B. finally a pause on the radio and I was able to check in and get a B clearance.

So we cruise a long at 85 GS. Finally make it to KMKC airspace. Tower says to enter left downwind for rwy 19. I enter the downwind for 19 and the tower asks if I can do rwy 21 instead. I think so I replied. he says ok enter left base for 21. I look down and realize I would have to maneuver and make a pretty steep turn for 21. in the turn I thought I'd overshoot the final because I was a bit too close but it worked out. we landed but this was almost a little too much too fast in an unfamiliar airport and airspace. exhilarating experience for sure.

On the return flight back home out of kmkc it felt like I was dodging traffic left and right at 500 ft above or below less than a mile. Holy smokes there was a ton of traffic. Once outside of KC airspace it was a smooth and awesome flight with GS of 150.

Next on the bucket list is a flight to KLAS and Oshkosh.

Nice! MKC is tucked right under the MCI Bravo, so there is a lot of low traffic. MKC also does a lot of corporate traffic, too. Plus, we’ve had a rough winter so any nice day is going to bring out a lot of people wanting fly again. I hope you had a nice visit.

Nice! MKC is tucked right under the MCI Bravo, so there is a lot of low traffic. MKC also does a lot of corporate traffic, too. Plus, we’ve had a rough winter so any nice day is going to bring out a lot of people wanting fly again. I hope you had a nice visit.

it was a wonderful day. definitely enjoyed it. the bbq was as good as the flight experience.

Attachments

• 20230203_150437.jpg
    20230203_150437.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230203_150439.jpg
    20230203_150439.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230203_150511.jpg
    20230203_150511.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230203_154503.jpg
    20230203_154503.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230203_185628.jpg
    20230203_185628.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 56
I was trying to guess, was that KC Joe’s bbq? The ribs didn’t look familiar, but the tables did.

Congrats on a fun flight!

Got my 1st bucket list item out of the way yesterday. A perfect day for flying and I had been day dreaming about this flight for years. Got my ppl in Jan and couldn't wait to do this.

we took off from S IL and headed west with FF. 15 miles outside of STL class B I was asked to contact st. Louis approach. That frequency was so busy I couldn't get a call in. 10 miles out and I still can't get to talk. 5 miles out ...still busy....**** I may have to maneuver before I bust the B. finally a pause on the radio and I was able to check in and get a B clearance.

So we cruise a long at 85 GS. Finally make it to KMKC airspace. Tower says to enter left downwind for rwy 19. I enter the downwind for 19 and the tower asks if I can do rwy 21 instead. I think so I replied. he says ok enter left base for 21. I look down and realize I would have to maneuver and make a pretty steep turn for 21. in the turn I thought I'd overshoot the final because I was a bit too close but it worked out. we landed but this was almost a little too much too fast in an unfamiliar airport and airspace. exhilarating experience for sure.

On the return flight back home out of kmkc it felt like I was dodging traffic left and right at 500 ft above or below less than a mile. Holy smokes there was a ton of traffic. Once outside of KC airspace it was a smooth and awesome flight with GS of 150.

Next on the bucket list is a flight to KLAS and Oshkosh.
Sounds like it was pretty breezy, was it bumpy?

I was trying to guess, was that KC Joe’s bbq? The ribs didn’t look familiar, but the tables did.

Congrats on a fun flight!

it was Joe's bbq. One of my favorite places for bbq.

Where did you park at KMKC, and how was the ground transportation? I wish I had tried harder to get BBQ when I got weathered in at my gas stop there last fall.

Where did you park at KMKC, and how was the ground transportation? I wish I had tried harder to get BBQ when I got weathered in at my gas stop there last fall.

They have a GA terminal with 6 or 8 tie downs. We had no trouble finding a spot to park. The GA terminal is right next to Atlantic FBO. The 100LL is self service only right by the GA terminal and was only $4.89/gal. Really liked this airport and facility. Atlantic has a crew car but requires a $50 convenience fee. We just took an uber. Super easy and close to everything.

...Tower says to enter left downwind for rwy 19. I enter the downwind for 19 and the tower asks if I can do rwy 21 instead. I think so I replied. he says ok enter left base for 21. I look down and realize I would have to maneuver and make a pretty steep turn for 21. in the turn I thought I'd overshoot the final because I was a bit too close but it worked out. we landed but this was almost a little too much too fast in an unfamiliar airport and airspace. exhilarating experience for sure.

You're allowed to say "Unable". Sounds like you handled it well, but overshooting at a busy, unfamiliar airport, in a steep turn, in a hurry, is a recipe for stall-spin on base to final.

You're allowed to say "Unable". Sounds like you handled it well, but overshooting at a busy, unfamiliar airport, in a steep turn, in a hurry, is a recipe for stall-spin on base to final.

Agree completely. I would have declined it and initiated a go around if I thought I'd exceed my bank more than 20 degrees.

Back