1st Conditional Underway

AcroGimp

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AcroGimp
1st conditional on the Yak is underway, owner assisted.

Learning a lot about the bird and planning on some mods along with general clean-up.

Compression check today went really well - engine has 927 hrs:
  • 1 - 80/80
  • 2 - 80/80
  • 3 -78/80
  • 4 - 78/80
  • 5 - 78/80
  • 6 - 78/80
  • 7 - 78/80
  • 8 - 80/80
  • 9 - 78/80

Mag timing, cable tensions and so on over the next few days, should be back up mid-week. Also chasing down several oil leaks and a couple other things but going well so far.

Looking forward to getting her back in the air.

'Gimp

Valve lash checked good, oil changed with all clean screens. 18 new spark plugs gapped, anti-seized and installed. Found several oil leak origins with 2 more suspected.

Prop removed for hub inspection, spinner is painted and ready for install - then a dynamic prop balance.

Spent time this afternoon pulling old Russian radio racks out, will finish that and secure remaining unused harnesses tomorrow.

LED cockpit light kit with dimmer (enough for both cockpits), new bus bar, and LED landing/taxi lights arrived to go with existing but not installed Aveo Powerburst LED Nav/Position/ACL wingtip lights, just waiting on stepdown convertor and lighted toggle switches for light install and day/night VFR program letter change.

Might be getting a smoke system from my mechanic's friend (removed from an RV-4).

Really excited at how well it's going although will take a few days longer than expected due to some emergency tasks my mechanic supported for the local formation aerobatic team before they depart for their performances at Reno.

'Gimp

Last edited:
We are right in the middle of doing the inspection on my Pitts now. That is my awesome mechanic standing next to my big ass propeller.

Attachments

• pittsm.jpg
    pittsm.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 33
Conditional is almost done, gear swing and emergency extend are all that technically remain.

No surprises although we are going to replace the emergency air system tank out of caution (slow leak on that side we have been unable to locate with rust evident on inside and outside of tank). Since the system is nominally 725 PSI we'll just replace the bottle - when they let go explosively it is truly explosive - so there will be a delay on getting replacement tank.

We also found a wallowed out pin on the elevator trim (.0800 pin a now .1000 hole) that will get reamed clean with a new oversize pin installed.

LED cockpit, strobe/position/nav and landing lights install is proceeding as well - all parts received except the step-down transformer, wire being strung.

Mag timing checks good - really a pretty clean run through.

'Gimp

Conditional is almost done, gear swing and emergency extend are all that technically remain.

No surprises although we are going to replace the emergency air system tank out of caution (slow leak on that side we have been unable to locate with rust evident on inside and outside of tank). Since the system is nominally 725 PSI we'll just replace the bottle - when they let go explosively it is truly explosive - so there will be a delay on getting replacement tank.

We also found a wallowed out pin on the elevator trim (.0800 pin a now .1000 hole) that will get reamed clean with a new oversize pin installed.

LED cockpit, strobe/position/nav and landing lights install is proceeding as well - all parts received except the step-down transformer, wire being strung.

Mag timing checks good - really a pretty clean run through.

'Gimp

Mine was converted to electric start. I love it..... No air issues that **** everyone off.

Back