1st Class with Pseudotumor Cerebri

Jeffrey B

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Foolius
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here with a medical question.

I was diagnosed as a teenager with pseudotumor cerebri after I had a headache all day and passed out mid-afternoon at PE. Doc did a lumbar puncture (do not recommend) and said my spinal fluid pressure was slightly elevated. Gave me some diuretics to take.

It's been a few years since then, honestly haven't thought about it much cause I've never had any other episodes. My question is is this something I can still get a medical with? I haven't done any followup with any doctors about it tbh. So I don't even know if I still have it.

Thanks! =)

Or if you ever had it. The diagnosis is challenging to make and requires more than an LP, maybe the MRI and eye exams and such were done. But while not an AME, doubt an AME would let that slip by without a neurologist saying you were diagnosed in error. But if you are serious about a class I, you could get a neurologist to do a comprehensive work up, that if negative refutes the diagnosis, or work with an experienced AME to see what info you need to take to the FAA. I don’t think it will be straightforward. True Pseudotumor can be a serious and progressive disease that needs longterm follow up.

Thanks for the info! So, my family isn't all that well-off. We have obamacare but it doesn't cover elective procedures. How much would you think something like a neurologist workup might cost?

What does the current MRI look like?
What does the Neurologist say, in the current time?

@Bathman, I was overweight but not obese when it happened. Normal weight now.

@bbchien, I don't know what my current mri looks like, but I guess you're getting at the same advice as Rockymountain, in that I should get a current workup.

@Bathman, I was overweight but not obese when it happened. Normal weight now.

@bbchien, I don't know what my current mri looks like, but I guess you're getting at the same advice as Rockymountain, in that I should get a current workup.
That's what FAA will demand. Why put yourself i joepardy and get it only when dmeanded- get it first and then decide if to or not to, apply.

Thanks for the info! So, my family isn't all that well-off. We have obamacare but it doesn't cover elective procedures. How much would you think something like a neurologist workup might cost?
It doesn't seem this would fall under elective, but the first step would be an appointment with a neurologist to discuss your previous symptoms and diagnoses. If he thinks you need an MRI, he'll justify it for insurance. The trick will be making sure he doesn't give you a new diagnosis that you can't clear.

Make sure you tell the doctor about your aviation medical and what you need to pass.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations guys! If I remember correctly, they couldn't find anything wrong on my mri or eye exam, the only thing was the elevated pressure. He said the pseudotumor was the only diagnosis left he could make to explain what happened, though the pressure level was lower than what was the typical threshold for the condition.

I'll talk to my doc and see if I can get a full neuro exam done under my insurance. If I do still have it, is it disqualifying?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back