1st Class Medical Differed

U

Unregistered

Last September I was hit while playing ice hockey, I dislocated my shoulder and went to the hospital. When they asked what happened I told them I was hit and hurt my shoulder and have a slight headache and don't remember the hit, but I DO REMEMBER EVERYTHING AFTER. They performed a CT scan which came back normal, and also did a cognitive test which also came back "Un-remarkable." I reported the incident to my AME and after looking at the data he said that I could return to flying as soon as I was off the pain meds for 1 week from my shoulder.

No big deal right?

Well I went in to upgrade my second class medical to a first class, and was told by the AME to bring in my data from the ER from the hit, and on the medical record they said that i suffered a mild concussion and had a momentary loss of consciousness.

The AME had to differ issuance of my first class medical and get permission from the FAA to issue.

Is this going to be an issue, and does anyone have any advice on what I should expect? This is supposedly my 2nd "concussion, the one before that was 8 years earlier, also nothing on CT and cognitive test was fine ( i have trouble believing I even had a concussion and believe the hospital just wanted to do the CT scan to make more money from my insurance company).

Dr. Bruce, any advice would be appreciated.

Dr. Bruce, any advice would be appreciated.

While you're spot on to inquire with Dr. Bruce about this situation, unfortunately, he no longer is an active participant on PoA.

He is active on the AOPA forums, and a few others, just not here.

You can also reach him via his website aeromedicaldoc.com or by email aeromedicaldoc(at)comcast.net.

Emailed questions typically get answered by the end of the day.

Bummer hope it all works out for you. Seems like nonsense to me.

Careful of those stones you're freely casting, OP. Head injury with "momentary loss of consciousness" as you describe is, by definition, a concussion, absent intracranial hemmorrhage or blood clot. I highly, highly doubt the hospital just wanted to do the CT scan to make money from your insurance company.

We do the CT scans to look for catastrophic injury, and unfortunately, often to cover our a$$ from the patient who will go running to a lawyer as soon as some trivial abnormality is found on followup that we didn't identify in the emergency department.

Trust me, "How much money can we make from this guy?" is absolutely the last thing on the mind of any ED clinician. We just want to get you evaluated and out the door so we can get to the dozens behind you.

Well, if you are so sure you have nothing seriously wrong...why go to the ED in the first place?

FAA wants to know WHY there was LOC. I think they'll give you a pass one a single case of unexplained LOC, but I don't know about the hows and whys of deferrals for LOC.

"Slight headache and don't remember the hit".......if you don't think this is a concussion what would you call it?:dunno:

Considering this an over diagnosis is bull****! Just my opinion tho:yes:

I'm surprised the " Grammer" police haven't shown up to properly chastize the OP for differing on his deferment. Hope it all gets sorted out ,quickly.

Last edited:
Pro flying or hockey pick one. Any job that requires you to live as a sissy sucks.

I'm surprised the " Grammer" police haven't showed up to properly chastize the OP for differing on his deferment...

It's gotten so bad that I think those of us who care have adopted one of the FAA-identified hazardous attitudes, i.e., resignation. ;)

I'm surprised the " Grammer" police haven't shown up to properly chastize the OP for differing on his deferment. Hope it all gets sorted out ,quickly.

Do you mean "Grammar" police, or are you sending Kelsey Grammer over to have a beer with him?

While you're spot on to inquire with Dr. Bruce about this situation, unfortunately, he no longer is an active participant on PoA.

He is active on the AOPA forums, and a few others, just not here.

You can also reach him via his website aeromedicaldoc.com or by email aeromedicaldoc(at)comcast.net.

Emailed questions typically get answered by the end of the day.

Plus one. He is very responsive, but grew jaded of some folks. He is also on the AOPA board though.

or are you sending asking Kelsey Grammer over to have a beer with him?

Actually, as interesting of a person and actor he is, that could turn out to be one enjoyable eveining.

Numerous posts have been deleted in this thread because they are an abuse of the unregistered feature or they have quoted the unregistered poster. Hiding behind "unregistered" to make snarky comments is not the purpose of this feature.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back