1st class medical deal breaker.

Mark.R

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
M.River
Need some advice I'm hoping to get my 1st class medical but I have a question. two years ago 2018 my dr prescribed Trazodone 50ml as a sleep aid I took it for one week and did not like the side effects and stop taking it. then my Dr switch me to Ambient from 2018 - 2019 I was taking it. in mid 2019 I stopped taking any medication and switched to eating healthy (it has been a life saver) and exercising. its been a year since taking any medication. my question is will the the Trazodone be a deal breaker in not being able to get my 1st class medical? I want to be prepared before going to the AME to get my medical done.

Do you have any class medical now?

You need to have a frank discussion with a good AME on both drugs. The problem is that traz is an antipressent, and likely at a minimum you're gonig to have to explain why it was proscribed, that you've been off of it, and that your "condition" is stable. Even that might not be enough in the current FAA environment.

What question on MedExpress would require a yes answer regarding a drug you took for one week two years ago? Unless you bring it up, I don't see how this would be relevant.
Jon
Best to be honest. There may not be a question in section 18, medical history, but listing of the 3-year look back of doctor visits and saying the reason was trouble sleeping and the result was doctor proscribing the medication reveals he was provided something the FAA gets concerned about.

@Mark.R .... my guess is that you should visit the doc that treated you and obtain a letter from him saying that he saw you on XXX date for sleeping problems and proscribed the Trazadone 50mg. But during a follow up visit where the two of you discussed experiencing the adverse side effects, he switched your medications to Ambient.

And it might be in your favor for him to say he examined you recently and you no longer need the medication.

Even more in your favor if a record can be produced that you surrendered the Trazadone at the follow up visit to provide proof that you didn’t continue to take it.

Hi, Mr Sgoti here

Unless you returned the unused medication, you are presumed to have taken it. They may see it through computer records if they go looking.

you are going to have to report the doctor visits anyway and the reason, so saying “trazodone for a week, did not tolerate well” and then changing to a drug that is primarily a sleep aid is not something I think would be a problem.

however, I recommend that you hire a local AME for a consult and get real information, not something from Some Guy On The Internet.

Zolpidem goes by the trade name of Ambien, by the way.

Do you have any class medical now?

You need to have a frank discussion with a good AME on both drugs. The problem is that traz is an antipressent, and likely at a minimum you're gonig to have to explain why it was proscribed, that you've been off of it, and that your "condition" is stable. Even that might not be enough in the current FAA environment.

It will be my first time doing the medical. I was wanting to start training in September.

What question on MedExpress would require a yes answer regarding a drug you took for one week two years ago? Unless you bring it up, I don't see how this would be relevant.
Jon

I answered medexpress honestly it only asked if I’m currently using any medication and I’m not. I did get a letter from my Dr saying I haven’t taken any medication Since 2018. I got my appointment for my medical exam on Thursday.

Last edited:
2018. I got my appointment for my medical exam on Thursday.
You may wish to switch the appointment from an exam to a consultation. The difference is that the latter allows you an opportunity to discuss the situation with the AME without putting your future flying plans in jeopardy.

When asking for a consultation, not an examination,

If the AME or his staff ask you to fill out the MesXpress form (FAAa Form 8500-8), it is okay to do so. But be ware there is a way you get snaffoozled by the staff without you knowing about it.

At the bottom of the form when you complete it and print it is a confirmation number. If the staff takes that number and enters it into the FAA medical certification system, your consult just became a live exam. And a live exam must proceed to a decision. A decision of issue, deny or defer.

To avoid the snafoozle, take a pair of scissors and clip off the confirmation number. Put that in your pocket. Now the AME has the info, but no way to open your file on the FAA system.

Proceed with consultation ask your questions, get the guidance, and write down your notes.

The end of the consultation should result in one of two outcomes: (1) the AME says he has enough to issue your certificate right now; or (2) The AME educates you on the requirements and provides a list of things to obtain and bring back for the real exam.

He should also tell you if this will be an in office issuance or a situation where the FAA requires it to be a “deferral” because the issuance decision must be made at a higher level. If deferral, do find out if the AME will go above and beyond as your advocate to make sure the application doesn’t get hung up in channels

You may wish to switch the appointment from an exam to a consultation. The difference is that the latter allows you an opportunity to discuss the situation with the AME without putting your future flying plans in jeopardy.

When asking for a consultation, not an examination,

If the AME or his staff ask you to fill out the MesXpress form (FAAa Form 8500-8), it is okay to do so. But be ware there is a way you get snaffoozled by the staff without you knowing about it.

At the bottom of the form when you complete it and print it is a confirmation number. If the staff takes that number and enters it into the FAA medical certification system, your consult just became a live exam. And a live exam must proceed to a decision. A decision of issue, deny or defer.

To avoid the snafoozle, take a pair of scissors and clip off the confirmation number. Put that in your pocket. Now the AME has the info, but no way to open your file on the FAA system.

Proceed with consultation ask your questions, get the guidance, and write down your notes.

The end of the consultation should result in one of two outcomes: (1) the AME says he has enough to issue your certificate right now; or (2) The AME educates you on the requirements and provides a list of things to obtain and bring back for the real exam.

He should also tell you if this will be an in office issuance or a situation where the FAA requires it to be a “deferral” because the issuance decision must be made at a higher level. If deferral, do find out if the AME will go above and beyond as your advocate to make sure the application doesn’t get hung up in channels
watch out....sleep troubles and depression....
Trazodone and depression....

watch out....sleep troubles and depression....
Trazodone and depression....
@Mark.R ... based on what Dr. Chien is saying here, you DEFINITELY want to start with a consultation.... I am inferring that there are more layers to your onion than you anticipated. And not having the proper guidance before you attend your real examination will create many difficulties.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back