1A5 PIREP

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
I flew into Macon County Airport in Franklin, NC today for the first time. It's a little 2 runway strip 5,000 by 75 runway tucked in the hills. 25 is the preferred landing and 7 the preferred departure runways and 25 is right traffic. We overflew the field and made right traffic to 25. What's cool is the hills all around mean you lose sight of the field for much of the manuver.

On right base my FO had lost it and asked where we're going. I said just on the other side of that hill is the runway and sure enough we fly along and there it was.

Very nice FBO. Full amenities except no fuel truck...at least not for Jet A, they may have a 100LL truck, I don't know. Nice guys and I felt bad I didn't buy gas. I would have if they had a truck but I didn't want to fire up to move the plane just to buy gas I didn't need. Oh well.

No ramp fee and smile and wave as we depart after I filed. We took off VFR to pick up the clearance with Atlanta Center. Departing runway 7 there a lot of terrain all around to keep your eye on, but it was very pretty. A lot of very nice homes tucked on the hillside.

Thought I'd share...

I'm sure it's nice, but after looking at the approach plate I think I would go there only on a CAVU day. It's got lots of terrain around it.

Yeah, our company has identified Macon Co as "Day VFR Only" for that reason.

It always feels funny to descend into a valley with no airport in sight and then have a runway be where you need it. Dominica is another like that that comes to mind.

The IFR procedure for that airport is listed as "NA at night" - for good reason. Same notation applies for KLUA, which is also down in a valley (LUA has a missed approach procedure calling for a "climb over the airport").

Just left there this morning on an angel flight. Wondered if anyone flies in there at nite and found these posts. Confirmed my thinking.
When the ODP says ceiling has to be over 5k just to circle up over the field not a warm feeling. Waiting on the family right now in Augusta ga kdnl. If they don't get back here by 5:30 guess they are not getting home tonight. At least
by air.

How neat. We plan to fly there this week just to enjoy the scenery. We've been several times and have always enjoyed the flight.

Deb

We did get in before dark and it is beautiful. Def best to use 25 landing (rt pattern) and 7 departing. I am sure it is beautiful after dark also - from way high up. :)

Back