1999 Cessna T206H Battery Replacement

dave7625

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ILMAV8
I would like to replace the battery in my 1999 Cessna T206H. Can anyone provide info on if this requires installation by an AP or can I do it myself? I would also like to replace it with a Concorde sealed battery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you can get an Odyssey battery. There is a huge different in cranking power, IMHO.

I just did mine last year in my 2010. I went with a Gill 242S (the sealed version) vs. the factory 242.

Concorde has a sealed version that crosses RG24-11. Pricey little sucker though.

I don't have a clue why you couldn't change the battery yourself. I assume an AP will come along and comment.

Yes you can change it yourself. If you go with a different battery it may require some type of modification though. I have a Concorde and will go with the same when the time comes.

I'd just start with some research, see what Concorde offers for your plane. If you need mounting modifications, you may need assistance from an A&P. Of course a different battery(weight) would need a W&B update. Whatever you get, I'd also hook up a minder/tender pigtail.

Yes you can under FAR 43, no worries, just remember to log it in the airframe log. Get a good AGM battery, they are all pretty much identical for the series/weight. You can get a good feel for comparative power and quality of competing batteries of the same size and technology by looking at the shipping weight. I have been buying DEKA AGM batteries for several years now for most everything I have to put batteries in and have been quite pleased. DEKA builds batteries for many different labels.

I'd get an A&P to do it.

#1 Replacing a flooded lead acid battery with an AGM is an alteration, not just maintenance.

#2 There may in fact be an applicable STC or battery box modification required.

#3 The weight difference will be several pounds, I'd even write an equipment list revision, in addition to revising the weight and balance, if I were doing it for you.

Write the date on the top of the battery using a permanent marker. I don't like needing a logbook to figure out how old it is. :lol:

Back