1983 Learjet 55 Out to Pasture in Montana

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari

"Royal Air Freight flight RAX698, a Learjet 55, suffered a runway excursion after landing on runway 22 at Mission Field Airport (LVM/KLVM), Livingston, Montana. The aircraft sustained substantial damage and the two pilots onboard the airplane were not injured."

1705097142670.png

Uh, whoa. Why did they land at LVM? That's a sporty place if the winds are up. Avoiding fees at BZN? Someone should subrogate this vs. Signature :D

Looks like a pretty fast approach, maybe a bit of a tailwind.

We’re are the skid marks? It just miraculously end up there?

Possibly slid sideways down the slope? There are some parallel lines there. Landing gear seems sheared off. Belly is pretty smooth after the gear is gone, and the brush piled on the downhill wing is pushed forward of the engine.

Someone shop a cowboy hat on it and a lasso

Livingston has a big drop off the end of one of the runways right? We used to stop there for the night when I was a kid, flying OR to IA in the summer. If anyone remembers that place in the 1990's, they had the most amazing FBO courtesy car. I can still remember the red velour seats and copious amounts of external rust on that white Lincoln (or maybe it was a Mercury?). Good memories there......great country steakhouse we always went to for dinner.

Possibly slid sideways down the slope? There are some parallel lines there. Landing gear seems sheared off. Belly is pretty smooth after the gear is gone, and the brush piled on the downhill wing is pushed forward of the engine.
The photo is looking southwest, so the runway is behind the camera. The plane actually skidded down the hill and partially up the other hill. I don’t really see any marks from the plane, but they’d be in the foreground and the camera angle is too low. There’s a fence line on the far hill and an ohv trail in the gulley that may have been used by responders.

How can I post a video!

Attachments

• IMG_5625.png
    IMG_5625.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 93
The photo is looking southwest, so the runway is behind the camera. The plane actually skidded down the hill and partially up the other hill. I don’t really see any marks from the plane, but they’d be in the foreground and the camera angle is too low. There’s a fence line on the far hill and an ohv trail in the gulley that may have been used by responders.
It went airborne again when went off embankment

Uh, whoa. Why did they land at LVM? That's a sporty place if the winds are up. Avoiding fees at BZN? Someone should subrogate this vs. Signature :D
Not too windy Thursday

How can I post a video!

It must have been sporty sliding down that incline with the bottom gettting closer and closer.

I bet both pilots were pulling hard on the yoke during the ride. CVR: "Are the spoilers out?"

:rofl:

There may have been scattered patches of thin snow on the runway, hard to evaluate from a landing plane, but trigger antilock functions, which lengthens stopping distance, especially it it is on alternating sides.

My experience is with single engine props, no antilock, but just 10%, barely visible patches, landing distances seem to go up 20 or more percent. Whether auto, or your manual control, the wheel does not start turning when the brake is released, the tire must climb over the snow 'wedge', then start turning, and rotation confirmed by sensor or sound. My car antilock does that very poorly on some surfaces.

If runway traction was the issue that took them off the end of the runway, the CVR portion on the runway might be very interesting.

I remember when they used to round up the cows with horses..... yippee ki yay, mother .....!!

Back