1980's medical record has gaps, a problem ?

A

anon

I'm retired now, collecting medical info in preparation for getting a third class medical certificate and going flying. I did this most recently in 1983. I had a couple of surgeries in the 1960s and 1970s, and I intended to just refer to them as "previously disclosed, no change". I requested the historical record from the FAA. Imagine my dismay when the surgeries were not mentioned at all! In fact, all references to musculoskeletal problems were absent, and the comments section was blank.

My recollection of 30-odd years ago is a bit hazy. But I do recall discussing my surgeries with the AME (I was happy with the way the second surgery turned out. And the scars were quite visible.).

As it happens, I had a third surgery some ten years ago that undid the previous two. That one, I have thorough documents on, and can supply to any AME.

But, how do I address the incomplete historical record? I tried the AOPA medical help guys; they were not encouraging (Their take: the record indicates that I did not disclose the surgeries.). Can I just say: "Records from X years ago are frequently incomplete, I really did the right thing in 1983"?

Appreciate any comments.

Do the best you can to list the procedures and estimate the dates. Old history that's unremarkable is no big deal. At least it hasn't been for me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back