For Sale 1979 Piper Dakota

Do I recall correctly that the 1979 is one of the more desirable years for the Dakotas?

Dakota's in general are all desirable because like C182's can truly carry 4 real sized adults with full fuel and cargo and have no issue with weight & balance or CG plus climb and cruise performance is great. Finally since not many of them were produced they are desirable planes. The one that was problematic was the Turbo version.

Do I recall correctly that the 1979 is one of the more desirable years for the Dakotas?

Dakotas are nice aircraft for the reasons you mention, and are on my list of something to own. Yours is one of the best examples to come along for sale in a long while.

Sucks for me that I'm not in a position to make an offer.

What are the plans once this has sold?

Yes they are incredible planes for sure and I love mine as it looks like a brand new airplane inside and out. Every time I fly it I always have airport staff checking out the plane or commenting on it. Every A&P that's worked on it has said that it's probably the best Dakota in the fleet. Only reason I'm selling it is because we're moving into a Cirrus for the added safety, comfort, and speed but it has not been an easy decision.

Dakotas are nice aircraft for the reasons you mention, and are on my list of something to own. Yours is one of the best examples to come along for sale in a long while.

Sucks for me that I'm not in a position to make an offer.

What are the plans once this has sold?

Dang that thing is purty and loaded with goodies. Even an AOA! Won't have a problem selling her.

As mentioned, Dakotas are desirable, period. The last of the square-wing Cherokee Pathfinders was the 1977 model. There was no 235 hp model for 1978, then the greatly improved Dakota was introduced for the 1979 model year. They were built until 1995 (none built in 1991 or 1992), with little change other than paint scheme.

The one that was problematic was the Turbo version.
... which, despite the "Turbo Dakota" name, was really more like a fixed-gear Turbo Arrow (200 hp Conti TSIO-360). It was only built one year, 1979.

@Clark1961 ... remind me how your aircraft got the Frankenkota moniker.

The one that was problematic was the Turbo version.

@Clark1961 ... remind me how your aircraft got the Frankenkota moniker.

Interesting how folks say the turbo Dakota is somehow problematic. Those folks never owned one is my guess.

Anyway, the Frankenkota was named after installation of the merlyn wastegate, intercooler, -k fuel system, and mag pressurization.

Interesting how folks say the turbo Dakota is somehow problematic.
No more "problematic", mechanically, than the Turbo Arrow, which does has some manageable idiosyncrasies. Those are the reasons for things like ...
installation of the merlyn wastegate, intercooler, -k fuel system, and mag pressurization.

Interesting how folks say the turbo Dakota is somehow problematic. Those folks never owned one is my guess.

Anyway, the Frankenkota was named after installation of the merlyn wastegate, intercooler, -k fuel system, and mag pressurization.
So it was a stock Turbo Dakota before those add ons? What improvements in numbers did these updates provide?

No more "problematic", mechanically, than the Turbo Arrow, which does has some manageable idiosyncrasies. Those are the reasons for things like ...
Engine upgrades are no different from avionic upgrades. There is growth room on the TSIO-360-KB unlike the normally aspirated Dakota’s engine.

The stock turbo Dakota is a fine aircraft when operated by the book numbers just as the stock Dakota is. The turbo Dakota is not problematic in any sense. What it didn’t do was fill a market niche as designers or marketing folks apparently thought it would.

So it was a stock Turbo Dakota before those add ons? What improvements in numbers did these updates provide?
Most of the bolt-ons were for engine and component life enhancement. The -K fuel system added 20 horsepower.

WOW nice plane...cruise speed of about 140 knots right?

WOW nice plane...cruise speed of about 140 knots right?
This would solve all those avionics woes.... Just trade up from your red Piper to a blue one.

Wow... awesome plane. Good luck on your sale.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My dad bought a brand-new 1979 Dakota for around $80,000. He flew it until 1986, then sold it to a guy who ended up flying into IMC with his wife and crashing, killing them both.

My dad bought a brand-new 1979 Dakota for around $80,000. He flew it until 1986, then sold it to a guy who ended up flying into IMC with his wife and crashing, killing them both.

Ahh a lovely story to top off the thread! PoA style! I like your style.

Back