1977 Archer II starting problem

Jobob

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bob/jo
Hello,

Hoping someone can give help on starting problem. Archer started ok cold. I was flying 2 hours came in plane sat about 20 minutes.

When I went to start it turn key nothing or would turn over once or twice. Did that about 5 minutes and then it did start. Can it be a bad battery?

Thanks

Sounds like a connection problem. Check cables for corrosion in and around the connectors, as well as tightness.

Sounds like a connection problem. Check cables for corrosion in and around the connectors, as well as tightness.

I "think" those older models had aluminum feeder cables to the starter.. My 1975 Warrior had them... I upgraded to the copper cables and all the starting issues went away...:yes::)

Not the battery. If it is bad it doesn't suddenly get better.

I'd agree connection sounds most likely. Perhaps something getting warm and a bad conn until it cools? Guessing.

Check the cables,most pipers have gone to copper cables,also check connections. Good luck.

Yes, a "not-enough-juice" starting problem with a warm engine is symptomatic of a bad cable connection, usually in the warm region (i.e. in the engine compartment, not on the battery itself under the rear seats).

As others have pointed out, check all connections carefully. If it happens again, you can troubleshoot with a voltmeter to see where you get a big voltage drop and that'll point to your bad connection.

Disclaimer for idiots who read this and then try to kill themselves: Of course use common sense and don't kill yourself if you are near a moving propeller. I won't be responsible for your retarded a** if you do us a favor and remove it from the gene pool, thank you.

I recently experienced that same problem in a 1973 Piper Arrow. Started fine in the morning. After landing and refueling it would turn over intermittently, if at all. I first suspected the common problem of poor battery cable connection. It turned out to be the ignition switch. Orienting the key just right would get it to turn over. I cant say it is the exact part number or problem, but it certainly sounds like the same symptoms.

Back