1973 Cessna 172M Calculations

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Sorry to ask but I can't get to the flight school (I will be out of town) before my lesson on Sunday. CFI says I should go on another day to borrow the POH to do some calculations. I can't do this and he only wants to meet at 9:30am for a 10am flight - but - I have fill out a rental agreement, show my ID, etc.

Does anyone have the charts for this plane (a plane I've never seen) to:

Calculate CG loading
(Got WB - 847 lbs useful - holds 40 gals max - got all 4 people's weights and I know who is sitting in front and back)
Calculate takeoff distances
Calculate landing roll
(perhaps) do some cross country calculations

From his email:

"Partial fuel load is perfect for a flight like this but will also want you to do TO and Landing performance calculations for the airports we might go to (Healdsburg, Angwin, Skypark). If you have time you can pop over there to do it before Sunday."

I will be flying to very small airports (around mid 2,000's). The hottest weekend here was 90 degrees or so and my AWOS said density altitude of between 1,000 feet - 2,000 feet (92 ft airport).

(I had suggested partial fuel once I realized we all weigh 605 not including our stuff but I don't have much control over that, I called the staff at the school and requested it)

".....divide by the cube root of the registration number..."

LOL! Kimberly, you've created your own monster.... kinda like the "Lean Forward!" thread on AOPA forums.

And not that it should be off by much, but plan to adjust W&B numbers to match that specific aircraft's legal W&B weight. Or call the school and ask for it.

UPDATE: I may have all day tomorrow free, in which case I will have my new tires installed and spend some time at the flight school with the POH if the plane is not out for a flight. Reason being is I shouldn't pay $55 per hour for a CFI on Sunday to simply fill out paperwork so I'm going a day early as he suggested. Also, in addition to calculations, I think I should turn this flight into a "checkout" in the plane..... and I'm sure they have a written test that involves me consulting the POH. Though more money, it will be cool to be checked out in so many planes. This will be the only plane I have in KSTS and though $136 per hour instead of $108 at O69, it is further north, which saves about 0.5 - 1.0 hobbs or more ($54 vs $28). Many of the places I want to see are North (Shelter Cove, Columbia, Booneville, Little River, Lampson). In addition, I spend a lot of weekends about 10 minutes from KSTS so I could "on a whim" go flying or do pattern work.... and practice ATC stuff to stop being so scared of towered airports.

This should be a great learning experience for you!

(I had suggested partial fuel once I realized we all weigh 605 not including our stuff but I don't have much control over that,

Ahh, but you do have control. Remember, you are PIC and make the decision as to who and what goes in...

This should be a great learning experience for you!

Ahh, but you do have control. Remember, you are PIC and make the decision as to who and what goes in...

Not if I get there and the tanks are full. We already decided I can operate at max gross so all of us are getting in the plane no matter what. Besides, I'd rather experience this with a CFI than alone. Though in the 152 or the 150 I get near max gross all the time, it is hard to avoid.

Enjoy the long takeoff roll and the sluggish climb. ;)

At least you're a lot closer to sea level than here!

Sorry to ask but I can't get to the flight school (I will be out of town) before my lesson on Sunday.
Looks like you're having a lesson today-- let us know how it went and what you learned/practiced!

Back