1972 Cessna 182?

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
Would that year qualify as a straight tail182? And why exactly are those good?

No. Straight tails stopped in either 62 or 63.
Last "straight-tail" was the 1959 C-182B.

cessna_182b.jpg

Swept tails appeared in 1960 on the 172, 175, 182, 210 and 310.

1972 would be a fairly modern 182 (photo below).

cessna_182p_1972_03.jpg

Straight-tail 182s were lighter with the same power (read: excellent short-field and climb performance); more pleasant pitch handling because they used adjustable stabilizers for pitch trim (as on the C-180 from which they were derived) instead of the fixed stabilizer and movable trim tab introduced on the 1962 C-182E. On the downside, pre-1962 182s had a narrower cabin and fewer windows -- again, just like a 180. Whether the tail is straight or swept, by itself, makes almost no difference, other than that a swept tail adds unnecessary weight and drag, for no improvement in performance. It's cosmetic only.

Last edited:
It's a 182 - rugged, reliable - what's not to like?

Oh, absolutely, they are great and very good out here for ranch work. Just wondering about the straight tail references that I've heard.

The swept tail ones look faster :)

Straight tails are a little faster but also lighter,also a little more cramped than the swept tail.The standard give and take of the Cessna line.Like the swept tail better.

I think the 182 that I checked myself out in was a J model. It was a nice airplane - I really like 182s. I also flew a 182S about 20 hours which was also a really nice airplane.

Straight tails are also a lot more responsive...far less truck-like handling. And they don't have near the nose-heavy (trim, trim, trim on approach) issues like the later ones do.

Sparky's tailwheel book includes some interesting stall/spin recovery differences between the two versions.
Last "straight-tail" was the 1959 C-182B.

cessna_182b.jpg

Swept tails appeared in 1960 on the 172, 175, 182, 210 and 310.

1972 would be a fairly modern 182 (photo below).

cessna_182p_1972_03.jpg

Straight-tail 182s were lighter with the same power (read: excellent short-field and climb performance); more pleasant pitch handling because they used adjustable stabilizers for pitch trim (as on the C-180 from which they were derived) instead of the fixed stabilizer and movable trim tab introduced on the 1962 C-182E. On the downside, pre-1962 182s had a narrower cabin and fewer windows -- again, just like a 180. Whether the tail is straight or swept, by itself, makes almost no difference, other than that a swept tail adds unnecessary weight and drag, for no improvement in performance. It's cosmetic only.

A friend of mine has a '56 182 with a P.Ponk O-470-50 STC giving him about 270 hp. It's one heck of a plane but be aware the old straight tails sit really high and won't fit in a standard Port-a-Port hangar.

I have that same package on a '60 180, including 96 gal tanks and extended baggage. It's a nice combination.
A friend of mine has a '56 182 with a P.Ponk O-470-50 STC giving him about 270 hp. It's one heck of a plane but be aware the old straight tails sit really high and won't fit in a standard Port-a-Port hangar.

That's a "P" model. Some feel that the "P" and "Q" models are the most desirable 182's, they got the tubular landing gear replacing the steel main gear track. Some "P" models got the O470S model engine, and the "Q" got the O470U.

The fresh pick STC applies to these models and they get a 150lb weight increase with a paper STC to match the take off limit of the "R" series. Landing weight remains the same 2950lbs.

You'll typically find higher prices than a comparably equipped "N" model (1970 - 1971). Keith Petersen prefers the P & Q models for his Katmai conversion, but he does them on N models as well.

I personally don't understand the appeal of the P&Q models, but I'm certain someone will explain it to us. I've focused on an N model since I think the overall value is better, but maybe someone will prove me wrong.

The hell they won't. Or you might explain it to my '58 sitting in my Port-A-Port right now. Yes, you have to be careful of the rotating beacon housing, but they fit just fine, thank you.

Jim

The Q's have a 24 volt system, except the 77 models like mine and a 2000 TBO engine. The P model was the first one with a "cuffed" leading edge, not sure if that means anything, but I remember my dad waiting on the P model when he ordered his. ;)
That's a "P" model. Some feel that the "P" and "Q" models are the most desirable 182's, they got the tubular landing gear replacing the steel main gear track. Some "P" models got the O470S model engine, and the "Q" got the O470U.

The fresh pick STC applies to these models and they get a 150lb weight increase with a paper STC to match the take off limit of the "R" series. Landing weight remains the same 2950lbs.

You'll typically find higher prices than a comparably equipped "N" model (1970 - 1971). Keith Petersen prefers the P & Q models for his Katmai conversion, but he does them on N models as well.

I personally don't understand the appeal of the P&Q models, but I'm certain someone will explain it to us. I've focused on an N model since I think the overall value is better, but maybe someone will prove me wrong.

Some like the integral fuel tanks of the Q, some like the bladders of the P

The U engined planes are quieter, but are not eligible for auto gas STCs

I need to add the first Q's, like mine, are pretty much P's with the U engine, 12V, with bladders. :rolleyes: This was confined to the 77 models, I believe. :D

The gear was shortened in '57 and again in '61. Your friends '56 has the tallest gear ever installed on a 182 and that may be why it doesn't fit in a particular hangar.

The hell they won't. Or you might explain it to my '58 sitting in my Port-A-Port right now. Yes, you have to be careful of the rotating beacon housing, but they fit just fine, thank you.

Jim

Yea, should have said "don't fit very well" and I'm talking about the small Port-A-Port, not the Exec. Still you're right, it will fit but I'd call it a real squeeze. My friend had to move because he really couldn't manage getting it in and out on his own and had to pump the nose strut up all the way to get the beacon in.

Tug with bottle jack or lift on nose wheel solves the beacon problem.

Tug with bottle jack or lift on nose wheel solves the beacon problem.

Yup, thought about all that, even a nose wheel ramp but bigger hangar was just an easier solution.

I'm not particularly happy with the bladders or Cessna's tanks.

But the STC to put real tanks in there is expensive and requires taking the wings off. ;)

Back